Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Server Crash at Country Coach

I called Country Coach a week ago attempting to get a original build sheet for my coach. Tech called back a couple hours later and informed me their archive server had recently crashed and was sent to Winnebago Tech department to try to recover it. He said all the build information and other service archive was on that server.

Anyone else heard the same story? I'm not questioning the tech but if it's true it would be devastating for continued support of the older coaches.

Anyone aware of a super secret source for build info? Maybe a secret handshake?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

I had read about this a little while back. I am troubled that it is still down or lost. I also have trouble believing that this is the only record of our rigs, on one server, no backup. I am sure Bob Lee would have something lingering around of this importance. I also wonder if the Winne people are monitoring this forum as they have mentioned a real interest in resurrecting and producing the original CC not a re branded Bago. Anyway I would love to hear more on this.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #3

There are Winnie people at Junction City, I was at the 1st Ave location and they are building 2 prototypes. The service center is on 4th Ave, talked to Greg B. and he said that they are working on the server issue, could be a couple of months.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
There are Winnie people at Junction City, I was at the 1st Ave location and they are building 2 prototypes. The service center is on 4th Ave, talked to Greg B. and he said that they are working on the server issue, could be a couple of months.
Prototypes of new Winnebago or Country Coach? Anyone there suggest how long before they are building Winnebago DP's there ?
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First mention of the server crash that I found on this forum was 4/5/16, so almost two months ago. Hope they get them back!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #6

Not one to promote a conspiracy theory but this just sounds crazy. Doesn't take 3 or 4 months to recover files. I agree there are other backups. Even with the bankruptcy and later sale of "intellectual property" backups have to be there somewhere.

Think about what that database would be worth.

I'm new to the CC family. Just purchased my Affinity a couple months ago, but one of the reasons I waited for the right deal on this brand was because of build quality and a very loyal following to the brand. My family owns Winnebago and I've toured the plant and talked to a few of the principles over the years. They have been a good citizen to the state of Iowa and have always appeared to make sound financial decisions through the ups and downs in the RV market. My bet was that Winnebago would want to take over the support of such a robust and well built inventory of older coaches. They paid too much to just turn the OR facility into a west coast service center for Winnebago products. Servicing and supporting the existing fleet of CC units has to be a gold mine.

Again I ask what is the database worth? Compare the value of a 1999 CC to a 1999 Winnebago or any other brand of coach. Folks in this class of motorhome spend lots of money keeping things correct.

I live in Iowa and might just take a trip up to Forest City to ask about the server in person. I have a very hard time believing the story. Just doesn't add up.

Has anyone received a build sheet sense Winne took over?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

No it doesn't make any sense for them to really loose them. It also doesn't make sense that they were lost either and still not recovered.

Would love to hear if you stop in and see what happens. Would love to know how their progress is with everything at the new site with CC and Winne. Keep us posted.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpspurs View Post
Not one to promote a conspiracy theory but this just sounds crazy. Doesn't take 3 or 4 months to recover files. I agree there are other backups. Even with the bankruptcy and later sale of "intellectual property" backups have to be there somewhere.

Think about what that database would be worth.

I'm new to the CC family. Just purchased my Affinity a couple months ago, but one of the reasons I waited for the right deal on this brand was because of build quality and a very loyal following to the brand. My family owns Winnebago and I've toured the plant and talked to a few of the principles over the years. They have been a good citizen to the state of Iowa and have always appeared to make sound financial decisions through the ups and downs in the RV market. My bet was that Winnebago would want to take over the support of such a robust and well built inventory of older coaches. They paid too much to just turn the OR facility into a west coast service center for Winnebago products. Servicing and supporting the existing fleet of CC units has to be a gold mine.

Again I ask what is the database worth? Compare the value of a 1999 CC to a 1999 Winnebago or any other brand of coach. Folks in this class of motorhome spend lots of money keeping things correct.

I live in Iowa and might just take a trip up to Forest City to ask about the server in person. I have a very hard time believing the story. Just doesn't add up.

Has anyone received a build sheet sense Winne took over?
As an ex-IT manager I can say that it can take a long time to recover files if the hard drives themselves crashed. But, also being an ex manager I'd have assured that there were backups of the changes every night and full backups every week.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately I've seen small IT shops that were not well run and had insufficient backup and recovery procedures in place.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was a FreightLiner setting up their SAN (Storage Area Network) for Oracle Financials they had three 5,000 tape automated backup "silos". Had two people doing nothing but cataloging the tapes going in and out.
What an operation!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

A Winnie guy will be visiting our CC club at the North West Area FMCA rally in Albany. Probably going to try and get us to join WIT but I'm sure the server issue will be brought up.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
A Winnie guy will be visiting our CC club at the North West Area FMCA rally in Albany. Probably going to try and get us to join WIT but I'm sure the server issue will be brought up.
Don:
Which CC group are you with? We're thinking about going to a pre-rally in McMinnville just to visit. Won't even take the MH since they're filled up at the park.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

I belong to NorthWest Country Coachers. That is the club that will be in McMinnville. I will be there for a couple of days ut have to be in Albany on Sunday seeing as how I am Assistant Rally Master
Old 06-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I belong to NorthWest Country Coachers. That is the club that will be in McMinnville. I will be there for a couple of days ut have to be in Albany on Sunday seeing as how I am Assistant Rally Master
OK, need to talk the DW into going there if nothing more than to see if she might be interested in joining the group. She'd like to do the proposed tour of the wineries but that's not a sure thing and her walking is limited anyway due to lack of energy. Sounds like there's a morning "meeting" to decide where to go and I know she won't get up in time to make them. Been getting info from Warren Bliss about the plans. Just can't get my wife to commit to anything except Dr's appts!