Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Sewer Flusher Problem

I'm looking for any advice on fixing/replacing my sewer flusher that stopped working about one year ago on a 2004 Allure, 36', #30997. The grey water flusher works fine but black tank is a no go. Put the hose to it upon returning from each trip since then, thinking that water pressure will dislodge what's clogging the system, to no avail. I saw an online video by Camping World on new installation and they have 2 or 3 brands of flushers but have no idea what's installed on CCs or maybe they switch brands over the years. I've been thinking I could put some air pressure to the water line on the external service bay but worry about blowing connections apart rather than fixing the problem. Anyone have any experience about this unmentionable task would be appreciated.

barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Give Kevin Waite a call, X Country Coach tech (541) 953-6162
2 stroker

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
While I don't know the brand that Tiffin Motor Homes uses, but nearly all of us have had the same problem that you are having. The fix is to take the spray head out of the tank. Clean and then drill out the holes in the spray head to 3/32. Re-install and then no more problems.
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Thanks, folks. I'll follow up with both suggestions.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
This system has check valves and anti syphon valves installed between the water inlet and the tank - usually in a loop that rises in the back of a cupboard to above the top of the black tank- and it is also possible these have collapsed (as do the check valves on the mains potable water inlet and the HWS inlet )
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
While I don't know the brand that Tiffin Motor Homes uses, but nearly all of us have had the same problem that you are having. The fix is to take the spray head out of the tank. Clean and then drill out the holes in the spray head to 3/32. Re-install and then no more problems.
This is what you have to do. Just put your rubber gloves on and dig into the problem. There is a check valve involved and if you have been in a place with high pressure water, the cheap valve that CC used could have come apart and stopped the water flow. In any case, drill the holes out to a larger diameter.

Been there, done that
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Today I removed the faucet panel in the service bay to see if I could locate the flusher. No luck. The side of the tank has the volume probes but no flusher. Then removed the compartment for the sewer hose storage and that sits atop the black tank. The tank appears to be approx. 18" square and my view is blocked by the frame rail. The toilet inlet is visible but the rest of the top of tank is clear.

I then went to the passenger side where the Hydro Hot system is located. Above that is an inspection panel in the fiberglass partition. Removed the inspection panel and the flusher is barely visible on the curb side of the tank. About 6" away is the air vent for the tank. The tank appears to be approx. 4" deep at this end and 18" long, front to back.

During the past 2 trips out in the last month, we have noticed sewer gas in the coach when underway. We opened the bathroom ceiling vent a couple inches and the window a crack and that took care of the problem while underway. Now I'm suspecting that due to the shallowness of the tank on the passenger side and the inoperative sewer flusher, enough debris has collected in this portion of the tank that the debris is blocking the air vent and the gases are being forced up around the toilet.

I may have to cut a portion of the fiberglass cover above the Hydro Hot to get access to the flusher for removal and to possibly introduce a pressure washer nozzle into the tank for cleaning. May also have to feed a hose and nozzle down the air vent to unblock any clogging of the vent line to the roof. I will check the sewer flusher line while disconnected from the tank to make sure the line is open and I'm not having a problem with a check valve. I'm also considering installation of another sewer flusher in the driver's side of the tank (the much larger portion of the tank) which probably isn't being cleaned very well from the original flusher on the passenger side of the coach.

Since we're leaving in 2 days on another trip, I'll plan on handling this and taking it apart next week when we get back.

Anyone have any thoughts for not adding a second sewer flusher to the tank?? Thx in advance.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Our flush spray nozzles were also on the passenger side in the Hydro Hot bay. I was able to access both, with a little soft language, and drill them out to larger size. Another tip I as told to try, is to:
1) Yep, the white vinegar and 1/2 cup of dish detergent, with about a 1/3 of a tank. Then drive for the day. I did this two days in a roll, with a drain and flush attempted flush in between.
2) Wait a good period of time between attempted flushing, to let as much water as possible dry out of the pipe line down to the nozzle. Then either white vinegar or even CLR (I used CLR) into the a small hose attached tot he flushers. Hold up the other end and use a funnel to get the CLR into the hose. I waited a minute or two to let as much drain out of the hose and into the pipelines towards the nozzle. Then wiped the hose coupling out with a clean wet rag, and used my mouth to blow some pressure into the hose too. (Note. This was a new out of the bag washing machine hose, not the normal hose I used for flushing!)

I then unhooked the hose, and put the caps back on. And let it sit until the next day. Then attempted to flush.

Even though I did these two steps, I also went ahead a drilled out the nozzles with the bigger holes.

The person who suggested these steps to me, said he had had reports back of about 25% success on the nozzles cleaning out some, as the hard water deposits were broken down by the vinegar in the tank. The CLR down the pipe line helped a bit more, and also cleaned of any hard water deposits off of check valves.

I have no input on your vent possibly being clogged.

Best of luck on this one! And, please let us know how it turns, or cleans, out.
04 Allure 40' Tag
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
I just removed mine and drilled the holes out a little bigger and it works great.
It was a PITA to get at above the Hydrohot but got it out with a stubby screwdriver.
2dogsbarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
This has not been a fun project. Removed, cleaned, drilled out, and reinstalled sewer flusher into tank and still not working. Has to be anti syphon or check valve. Can see where the water lines ( for the gray and black tank flusher) go up thru floor but not where they're located in the coach. Took apart the cabinet in the kitchen area abutting bathroom wall and no luck. Took apart bath sink cabinet and no luck. I have a 4" by 6" wood subwall adjacent to the bathroom outside wall and the forward bathroom wall. That has 2 screws on top for each of the sections. Removed the screws and still can't get the tops off. Of course they meet directly behind the toilet so I'm probably going to have to remove toilet and rehab that in the process.

There must be a plumbing code saying anti syphon or check valve must be 12" above tank as that's the only reason I see to go to this much trouble to hide this stuff that needs working on. It would have been nice if they left this exposed under the bathroom sink where it's accessible.

I want to thank everyone who responded for their help on this matter.