Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Side Wall Entertainment Center

Hello,

We are 1 to 2 years out from buying our full-timing rig and are still debating the fifth wheel/motorhome choice. Within the motorhome category we are looking at Newmar, Entegra and used Country Coaches (Magna and Affinity). We love the idea of getting a high quality coach with a lot of the depreciation already previously paid on it.

A question for you CC folks...did CC every have a sidewall entertainment floor plan with recliners on the opposing wall --or-- has anyone here on the forum modified their rig in this fashion? There are many things we love about the CCs but, for full-timing, the sidewall TV is a highly desirably feature. I ask this question because I don't think I've seen a picture yet that showed anything other than a TV above the cockpit.

Thank you.

Ex-Navy/retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service. Goal: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
LJSteinmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Some 45-foot Intrigues have a longitudinal-mounted TV in a cabinet behind the driver. You can open the cabinet and watch it at floor level, from the couch behind the passenger, or raise it (motorized) to view it at eye level. As far as I know, this is the only Country Coach with that option. One example is here:
2007 Country Coach Intrigue 530 Jubilee, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Lubbock, Texas | Lubbock Auto Inc. | RVT.com - 119008
There are others that have a TV in the rear of the living room, such as the 45-foot Allure, and I have seen special installations where a TV is mounted crosswise behind the dining area in Magnas/Affinitys.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

We have been putting a flat screen on top of the desk opposite our couch. We just recently got a quote from Country Coach to install a flat screen at the back of the desk and be able to rise out of the desk with a motor. We did not get that done this year, but likely will next year. We had all the old TVs taken out. We don't like looking up at the ceiling to see the screen.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Some 45-foot Intrigues have a longitudinal-mounted TV in a cabinet behind the driver. You can open the cabinet and watch it at floor level, from the couch behind the passenger, or raise it (motorized) to view it at eye level. As far as I know, this is the only Country Coach with that option. One example is here:
2007 Country Coach Intrigue 530 Jubilee, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Lubbock, Texas | Lubbock Auto Inc. | RVT.com - 119008
There are others that have a TV in the rear of the living room, such as the 45-foot Allure, and I have seen special installations where a TV is mounted crosswise behind the dining area in Magnas/Affinitys.
First off...thank you for your service to this great country!

Thanks for the link...don't know why with as many pictures as I have looked at that I hadn't come across one yet.

Ex-Navy/retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service. Goal: 2016 - Sell our house and begin full-timing. January 2019 - Retire for good from my job and hit the road.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
We have been putting a flat screen on top of the desk opposite our couch. We just recently got a quote from Country Coach to install a flat screen at the back of the desk and be able to rise out of the desk with a motor. We did not get that done this year, but likely will next year. We had all the old TVs taken out. We don't like looking up at the ceiling to see the screen.
B Bob,

Thanks for the info and that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I know that literally anything can be done to the interiors; it's more often a matter of practicality and cost. This now makes Country Coach a solid front runner if we go the DP route.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
You might also want to look at Foretravel coaches. I would also recommend that you go to rv.org lay out the money they are asking. It will be the best bucks you spend on your rv. Good luck and happy hunting
Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
You might also want to look at Foretravel coaches. I would also recommend that you go to rv.org lay out the money they are asking. It will be the best bucks you spend on your rv. Good luck and happy hunting
At some point that is exactly what I plan to do...I just want to make sure that we have fully made up our minds on a DP or a fiver. We are interested in New Horizons and Continental fivers pulled by an HDT and just trying to weigh out the pros and cons of each RV type.

We have owned fivers in the past so are familar with those and had thought since 2004 when we first started discussing full-timing that we would go that route. As we get closer though we are starting to think that a DP would provide a little more simplicity in our travels. Tough decision...I could go either route and be very happy.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSteinmetz View Post
As we get closer though we are starting to think that a DP would provide a little more simplicity in our travels.

I think the best reasons for a coach are - people other than driver can easily move around, use bathroom, lie down, prepare food all while the coach is moving. Another reason, if you are ever scared in the night boondocking or otherwise, just takes a few seconds to start the engine and leave FAST! Don't have to exit the trailer and try to get into truck to make a quick exit. That knock in the middle of the night only has to happen once to scare the ^{%]$$ out of you.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think the best reasons for a coach are - people other than driver can easily move around, use bathroom, lie down, prepare food all while the coach is moving. Another reason, if you are ever scared in the night boondocking or otherwise, just takes a few seconds to start the engine and leave FAST! Don't have to exit the trailer and try to get into truck to make a quick exit. That knock in the middle of the night only has to happen once to scare the ^{%]$$ out of you.

Good points...especially regarding the security aspect. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Check it out
Entertainment Center

No recliners yet but soon!!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

While we ended up leaving ours up over the dash (DW command decision!), I did look into replacing the full size sleeper couch with what they called a half couch fold out sleeper, and having either Davis Cabinets, Oregon Motor Coach, Country Coach (They had just started to start up again, when I was doing this research.) put in cabinets with a pop-up TV across from our two recliners. Early planning capped the size of the TV at 37" or smaller. But, that would have been great for such a short distance. One gent also suggested I think about permanently mounting a 40" LCD on top of the cabinet, as the slide gear takes up lots of room in the cabinet to raise the TV.

Suggest you two pick the rest of the coach living quarters first, knowing you will add a TV cabinet or side mounted TV as you are looking. Not a major expense, when you consider the total package of the quality of RV's you mentioned.

I like your thinking about buying a higher quality Class A, with many miles and years of usage ahead on them.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsbarkin View Post
Check it out
Entertainment Center

No recliners yet but soon!!
Very nice work!!!

What we are envisioning doing is similar to what Newmar does in their rigs as shown here:

This will allow us to still have a couch to fold out for visiting grand kids and to have recliners on the opposite wall for tv viewing.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Suggest you two pick the rest of the coach living quarters first, knowing you will add a TV cabinet or side mounted TV as you are looking. Not a major expense, when you consider the total package of the quality of RV's you mentioned.
Very good suggestion and is the way I'm sure we will ultimately have to go. We'll just have to make sure that any rig we get interested in doesn't have some oddball reason why we couldn't make the modification...not certain what reason there might be but better to try to figure out any limitations before handing the check over.