Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Silverleaf, engine fault codes

Question for any of my fellow CC owners with a Silverleaf system and a Cummins engine....

I had a check engine light yesterday along with the Silverleaf displaying a fault code '157 1 1' with 'low fuel pressure' on the display. The engine had little pulling power during this episode. I pulled over, shut down the engine and after about 2 minutes, restarted the engine. Check engine light stayed off and coach ran fine until I got home 15 minutes later.

My question is related to the code displayed on the Silverleaf. If I go to the Cummins Quick Serve website and enter my engine serial number, it tells me that code 157 is not a valid code for my engine. Any of you with a similar set up have any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Maybe a call to Silverleaf would help on the puzzle of a code that is not relevant for your engine year/model?

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Silverleaf shows a different error code then what Cummins uses, I had called them and they explained this to me. Cummins takes this industry standard code and changes it to their own codes. Here is a link to a list of codes that the Silverleaf is showing.

http://www.heavydutypowertrain.com/md200codes.pdf

I hope this helps.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue #11075
stkhlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkhlm View Post
Silverleaf shows a different error code then what Cummins uses, I had called them and they explained this to me. Cummins takes this industry standard code and changes it to their own codes. Here is a link to a list of codes that the Silverleaf is showing.

http://www.heavydutypowertrain.com/md200codes.pdf

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. I called Silverleaf and the 157 code is the same as Cummins code 559 which has to do with fuel rail pressure.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing that! Good to know their different, and nice to have the link of Cummins codes.

On my 'To Do' list, is to check in with Silverleaf on our unit, and see what updates and upgrades are available. For sure I'll do the updates, will $$ pencil out upgrade costs.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Thanks for sharing that! Good to know their different, and nice to have the link of Cummins codes.

On my 'To Do' list, is to check in with Silverleaf on our unit, and see what updates and upgrades are available. For sure I'll do the updates, will $$ pencil out upgrade costs.

Best,
Smitty
I gave the Silverleaf guy my software version and, while there are more recent versions, he said I would likely not see sufficient functional changes with the update to justify the cost. That is based on my 240 system.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: I changed both my fuel filters today and drove the coach for a few miles. The check engine light came on within the first 5 miles of driving. It came on whenever I tried to accelerate or climb even a little grade and went off if I was either coasting or using little throttle. I get the same Silverleaf code 157 (559 Cummins code).

Spoke to my contact at Cummins CoachCare and he said the 559 fault was one that could mean a number of items and they would need to do more diagnostics. Appointment made for next Monday so will limp the 50 miles to their shop.

I can already hear the giant sucking sound near my wallet .
Old 01-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
UPDATE: I changed both my fuel filters today and drove the coach for a few miles. The check engine light came on within the first 5 miles of driving. It came on whenever I tried to accelerate or climb even a little grade and went off if I was either coasting or using little throttle. I get the same Silverleaf code 157 (559 Cummins code).

Spoke to my contact at Cummins CoachCare and he said the 559 fault was one that could mean a number of items and they would need to do more diagnostics. Appointment made for next Monday so will limp the 50 miles to their shop.

I can already hear the giant sucking sound near my wallet .
Mine has been in the shop with the 559 code since before thanksgiving. They have replaced the fuel system from pre seperator all the way to return, fuel pump and ecm. Still throws the code whenever you need power. Cummins engineer to arrive Jan 7 to check it out. I will let you know what they find. Good luck! JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Mine has been in the shop with the 559 code since before thanksgiving. They have replaced the fuel system from pre seperator all the way to return, fuel pump and ecm. Still throws the code whenever you need power. Cummins engineer to arrive Jan 7 to check it out. I will let you know what they find. Good luck! JD
Wow. I hope they don't have that issue with mine. We need the coach by January 24. Oh well, the trials of owning one of these beasts.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Word of caution. Sometimes a wiring problem will generate a FMI/SID code. I had a bad crankshaft sensor causing a problem and generating spurious codes. Probably not your problem but sometimes things happen. Especially where there is a high rodent population. Might be worth a general inspection with a bright light before giving up your motorhome for a long period. Good Luck.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: Took coach to Cummins Coach Care this week. Last time I drove the coach, even after changing the fuel filters, I was still getting check engine light and 'low fuel pressure fault' on Silverleaf. Coach sat for 5 days before I drove it 45 miles to Cummins. It ran like a top on the way to the shop... no faults.

So they drove the coach and it ran fine. Basically, they say the 559 fault is not very specific and can mean any number of things and it would require many hours of diagnostic work to chase it down. Since the code was showing inactive on their computer, they did not feel the diagnostic hours were justified at this time. So, I had them fix my oil leaks (new valve cover gasket, new gear cover gasket and shaft seal), and do a valve adjustment. They ran the coach on their dyno and said it ran great. I brought it home today and it ran like a scalded dog .

So, I will keep an eye on it and hope I just got some bad fuel, whatever.

They did say the valves were really out and adjustment was needed. I don't hear many Cummins folks speak of having their valve lash checked so I am glad I had them do that. I did notice the engine was less 'clacky' when I started it.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins specifies valve adjustment at 150,000 miles, 5000 hrs or 4 years so maybe it did need it.

What did they charge for it?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins specifies valve adjustment at 150,000 miles, 5000 hrs or 4 years so maybe it did need it.

What did they charge for it?
Can't really identify specific charge for the valve adjustment since the total labor charge on the bill bundles all the work together. I know I paid a CAT dealer $450 for top end service on my 3126 CAT several years ago so it would have been at least that much or more.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
559 code finally fixed.

this is what they said.

-cummings field service engineer David Perez and myself performed all of the quickserve fuel system checks. all of our findings were the same as the previous findings. David then modified test procedure for the 'fuel rail return test". Rather than using insite to run a fuel leak test while measuring the fuel rail return. He stalled the engine during the test causing the "rail pressure relief valve" to unseat. the valve did reseat causing a loss of fuel. i then replaced the malfunctioning pressure relief valve. upon testing no fuel was lost through the return nor was the 559 code active. we are currently waiting on a new fuel/water separator housing. it is recommended by Mr. Perez that the housing is replaced.

-installed the new filter housing. I then test drove the RV. the test drive was successful
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote