Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide topper replacement, DIY job?

I just got my new slide topper fabric from Stone Vos (they are really nice folks and the toppers they made are outstanding). I don't mind paying someone else to replace them but really want to take the opportunity of having good access to tops of the slide rooms for checking, cleaning, seal inspection, etc.

Has anyone replaced their Carefree toppers themselves? If so, was it difficult? My toppers have the metal covers with the teardrop shaped caps on the end.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

It's a two person job. Not hard, just follow instructions, be careful, and take your time. Should only be a torsion on one end, so you pin that end, unbolt the other end and slide it off and reverse.
If you pay someone, and they are GOOD, then they will let you have access to the slide roofs to look at it all.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

Agree it is slow and steady kind of a job, and a two person one at that. Also think safety in regards to of course the height and the spring.

On some era CC's, the tops had right angles along the sides and also towards front (in this case front means the side of the slide as you are facing from, well, the side!). We removed our existing big slide awning, due to a spring break, and while off had the fabric re-sewed with UV protective thread. I also clean and inspected the top, and the top rubber seal was also cleaned and protected. All of my right angle joints looked good, so for now I did nothing. But, some have gone over them with a strip of Eternabond tape, and or scraped and resealed/calked the leading edges. (Not sure about the slide construction on your era coach, so may not be applicable.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 12-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I just got my new slide topper fabric from Stone Vos (they are really nice folks and the toppers they made are outstanding). I don't mind paying someone else to replace them but really want to take the opportunity of having good access to tops of the slide rooms for checking, cleaning, seal inspection, etc.

Has anyone replaced their Carefree toppers themselves? If so, was it difficult? My toppers have the metal covers with the teardrop shaped caps on the end.
I did two of mine on the passenger side. Not a hard job. But another hand would come I'm handy, I did mine alone.
Remove the cleaning cover, 2 spring loaded pins on each end. With the slide out about a foot rotate the roller by hand until you can put a pin about a 3/16 hole on the right end, the pin is to keep the spring secure.. I used a small Allen wrench..make sure the pin does not come out..duct tape or something. Then remove the right end cap and the left end just slides out, you can pull the slide in and let the roller just unroll and hang down the side of the MH. Now remove the roller standing on the ground. Remove the screws on the end holding the fabric in place and then slide the fabric out of the groove.on the Coach.
About the only time you need another person is when you remove and lower the roller tube.
I had to restitch mine after the wind pulled it loose.
Good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

After reading my post I want to add, in order to get the pin in you have yo rotate the roller to align the holes.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I did two of mine on the passenger side. Not a hard job. But another hand would come I'm handy, I did mine alone.
Remove the cleaning cover, 2 spring loaded pins on each end. With the slide out about a foot rotate the roller by hand until you can put a pin about a 3/16 hole on the right end, the pin is to keep the spring secure.. I used a small Allen wrench..make sure the pin does not come out..duct tape or something. Then remove the right end cap and the left end just slides out, you can pull the slide in and let the roller just unroll and hang down the side of the MH. Now remove the roller standing on the ground. Remove the screws on the end holding the fabric in place and then slide the fabric out of the groove.on the Coach.
About the only time you need another person is when you remove and lower the roller tube.
I had to restitch mine after the wind pulled it loose.
Good luck
OK, I plan to do the smaller curbside bedroom slide just to see how it goes. I downloaded the instructions from Carefree's website and those say you pin the roller at the left end and remove the roller bracket on the right end. They say nothing about removing the roller.... just to support it at the right end while you pull the old fabric off the right end of the roller. I am assuming your's are like mine.... the SOKIII.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
OK, I plan to do the smaller curbside bedroom slide just to see how it goes. I downloaded the instructions from Carefree's website and those say you pin the roller at the left end and remove the roller bracket on the right end. They say nothing about removing the roller.... just to support it at the right end while you pull the old fabric off the right end of the roller. I am assuming your's are like mine.... the SOKIII.
Carefree have one torsion.

The other description was for a Dometic, which has two. Different replacement technique.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:

Not exactly sure of the model but I do have carefree and the pin hole is on the right end facing the coach, I did the same awning. I don't guess it makes a difference how you achieve the results but I think you will find it easier to remove the roller rather than feed the fabric out of both grooves at the same time.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

On my coach, Allure 31459, I found that there was enough fabric left on the roller tube to reverse it and virturely have a new awning however the groove is a different size. So you have to change the plastic cord, but doable. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

I did mine also. Not that hard but does work easier with and extra set of hands. Good luck and take your time.

Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, slide