Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide toppers, Carefree Summit System

Since it seems many CC's have the Carefree toppers with the Summit system (the aluminum bar that lifts the center of the topper when the slide is extended), I thought I would inquire with my fellow CC owners.

Three of my four slides have this system which Carefree no longer makes. I have been replacing my slide topper material and have noticed that while the center bar does raise the topper (to keep the material taught and to aid in water drainage), it does seem to allow water on the inboard side to drain toward the coach. In fact, after a recent rain, I had water puddling on one of my toppers between the summit bar and the coach. Looking more closely at how the mechanism works, it would naturally cause water to drain in both directions.... off the end of the slide and toward the fabric attachment rail on the coach. I am curious if others have noticed this issue and have removed the summit mechanism.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Gary,

My most recent experience other than CC specific had me replacing a long slide topper on the street side of my coach. I originally had an A&E. The replacement was a Dometic unit. Very clean looking hardware I must admit more so than the original A&E.

Perhaps they have fabric variants?

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Gary,

My most recent experience other than CC specific had me replacing a long slide topper on the street side of my coach. I originally had an A&E. The replacement was a Dometic unit. Very clean looking hardware I must admit more so than the original A&E.

Perhaps they have fabric variants?
Mike, thanks for the response. My topper hardware is fine. I have just been replacing the topper fabric. My version of the Carefree slide topper system has what Carefree called 'Summit SOK II.' It is a mechanism that lifts the center of the fabric when the slide is extended. It creates a peak in the middle of the fabric. Sounds good but not sure it was a great idea since it causes water to drain back toward the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #4

I have the same topper on both slides on the street side and they work great. Lifts the center up about 3" and the water runs off. Now the slide topper on the curb side is a different story, it is just a straight topper and it will pool gallons of water. I need to get a new one but that may be next year, this thing is draining me dry.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #5

Gary, I have the same system on my coach. I have actually replaced all the fabrics, toppers, window awnings and patio awning. In dicussion with Carefree they said to remove the feature, but I am two minded. Firstly the 2 bedroom slides are great the feature creates a ridge and on mine the water drains away from the coach. The drivers side front is another ball game. Water pools both sides of the ridge, it does not come up against the coach but is a pain in heavy rain, I have to pull the slide in slowly in measured amounts allowing the water to drain, then I put the slide fully back out and in again. One time I just pulled it in and the pooled water caused the fabric not to roll properly and I had a bunch sticking out of the shell.

I have wanted to play with the adjustments to get the ridge higher but cannot get any instructions on how, I do not want to mess up the way it collapses away and foul the slide.

The passenger front slide does not have the feature and water really pools here if its too windy to have the patio awning out.

I could not get out of carefree why they recommended removal, very secretive??

Scott on Yahoo has removed his and has a blog on it on his site.

For the moment they remain on my coach.
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I have the same topper on both slides on the street side and they work great. Lifts the center up about 3" and the water runs off. Now the slide topper on the curb side is a different story, it is just a straight topper and it will pool gallons of water. I need to get a new one but that may be next year, this thing is draining me dry.
2 stroker
My curb side front slide also does not have the Summit system and has little slope from the coach to the roller. It also pools water. When I replace that topper, I plan to tighten the fabric as much as I can. Have you tried putting more tension on the fabric?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
Gary, I have the same system on my coach. I have actually replaced all the fabrics, toppers, window awnings and patio awning. In dicussion with Carefree they said to remove the feature, but I am two minded. Firstly the 2 bedroom slides are great the feature creates a ridge and on mine the water drains away from the coach. The drivers side front is another ball game. Water pools both sides of the ridge, it does not come up against the coach but is a pain in heavy rain, I have to pull the slide in slowly in measured amounts allowing the water to drain, then I put the slide fully back out and in again. One time I just pulled it in and the pooled water caused the fabric not to roll properly and I had a bunch sticking out of the shell.

I have wanted to play with the adjustments to get the ridge higher but cannot get any instructions on how, I do not want to mess up the way it collapses away and foul the slide.

The passenger front slide does not have the feature and water really pools here if its too windy to have the patio awning out.

I could not get out of carefree why they recommended removal, very secretive??

Scott on Yahoo has removed his and has a blog on it on his site.

For the moment they remain on my coach.
I have read Scott's blog and his reasons for removing the Summit system. I did reach out to Kevin Waite yesterday and he recommends removing the system. He said it was generally considered more trouble than it was worth and that is why Carefree discontinued it. He advises the real issue is if the hardware breaks, you can't use the slide until you remove it. To remove it, you have to pin and detach the roller and get the fabric out of the way to gain access to all the screws that hold the system on.

I am now working on the driver's side front slide and will remove the system before installing the new fabric. I will get the fabric as tight as I can.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #8

What would be interesting is to hear from those who have experienced grief in any way with these resulting in their need to be removed?
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

I have had the same problems with the drivers side topper, about 3 mos ago I re tensioned the fabric, added more turns on the spring and also stretched the fabric north and south, have not noticed any pooling since, but I do keep the front a little lower to aid in the run off..
Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My curb side front slide also does not have the Summit system and has little slope from the coach to the roller. It also pools water. When I replace that topper, I plan to tighten the fabric as much as I can. Have you tried putting more tension on the fabric?
On my curb side the ends are tight and the middle sags. I think before we got the coach the slide was out along time and the water just started to pool and stretched the canvas.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: Well DW and I replaced the topper on the driver's front slide (fabric is 156 1/2" so pretty long). I had removed the summit bar mechanism. Even though we got the new fabric rolled onto the roller as tight as we could, the fabric sags pretty bad without the bar. So, since all my summit mechanisms look OK, I reinstalled it and now the fabric looks pretty good. I will just continue with the summit hardware on the three slides.

The last slide to have the new fabric is the passenger front. It has no summit mechanism and the old fabric sags badly in the middle. I may just have someone in Oregon install that one for me since DW is not strong enough to help me add turns to the roller spring.

Tags
slide