RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

Slow coolant leak

After owning my 2006 intrigue for 6 months, and having lots of preventative maintenance done, I just noticed a leak for the first time.

When I started the engine yesterday, it was slowly dripping some radiator fluid near the front part of the engine. It is coming from an unknown source near the top of the engine, near the front, just above the transmission connection.

It only leaks when the engine is running. Is there an engine access hatch in the bedroom or closet? if so, that is probably where I need to look to identify the source.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
After owning my 2006 intrigue for 6 months, and having lots of preventative maintenance done, I just noticed a leak for the first time.

When I started the engine yesterday, it was slowly dripping some radiator fluid near the front part of the engine. It is coming from an unknown source near the top of the engine, near the front, just above the transmission connection.

It only leaks when the engine is running. Is there an engine access hatch in the bedroom or closet? if so, that is probably where I need to look to identify the source.
I have an 06 Inspire and my floor is held down by 6 bolts, hard to find in the rug, yours may be different.
2 strokerClick image for larger version

Name:	20170331_142957.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	264177

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
'front part of the engine" ?

Since these are Diesel Pushers, the engine sits backwards in the engine compartment.

The front part of the engine faces the out to the rear of the coach.

On my rig, I have a coolant surge tank at the rear driver side of the coach.

If someone adds coolant or water to the radiator cooling system, the system may need to be "burped" to remove trapped air in the coolant system.

This plagued my rig for several months until I learned how to "burp" the system.

The instructions are in the manual and on the surge tank.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

We just had to replace the small coolant distribution pump in our 2004 42ft Intrigue with 400ISL due to a slow leak. Its sole purpose is to run heated coolant from the engine all the way up to the dash area for over the road heat and defrost. That pump is located in a hellish spot on the Driver's side of the engine, up top and toward the forward portion of the engine, just rear of the tag wheel. Only access was through the bedroom floor hatch. We replaced some hoses while there due to age and not wanting to see that area again anytime soon. Safe travels.
'04 42ft Country Coach Intrigue Ovation #11630
400 ISL, 2018 Acadia AWD Toad
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

A few years ago(long story short)chasing a coolant leak from one spot to the next I finally discovered it was the radiator cap not releasing at the correct psi.
luqutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dinghy View Post
We just had to replace the small coolant distribution pump in our 2004 42ft Intrigue with 400ISL due to a slow leak. Its sole purpose is to run heated coolant from the engine all the way up to the dash area for over the road heat and defrost. That pump is located in a hellish spot on the Driver's side of the engine, up top and toward the forward portion of the engine, just rear of the tag wheel. Only access was through the bedroom floor hatch. We replaced some hoses while there due to age and not wanting to see that area again anytime soon. Safe travels.
X's 2, from the location you described, this could be the Bust Transfer Pump. We elected to bypass ours when it leaked the second time. (The first time, was just a hose clamp that needed cinching tighter.).

This was also on an 04 ISL, but a 40' Allure. By taking a flashlight, and following hoses running towards the front of the coach, I found the Bust Transfer Pump to be about 18-24" toward the front of the coach from the engine, a bit towards the Driver's side. Hoses going in, and going out. The one going out run up to on my coach, a second Bus Transfer Pump at the front of the coach (Which has been more then sufficient to cycle the hot water when front cab heating demands are turned on.). The pump, well ares, was mostly dark plastic. The theory I heard, is that the pump is too close to the heat of the exhaust, and that causes the failure of the unit. It was a pretty good reach up to get to from below. But do not think you'd get at it from the access panel above. At least on the ISL.

Suspect you coach has the C-13, so very possible that you could have other coolant runs involved then we do on the ISL.

Good luck finding the source of the leak, and please share what you find out - as it could help other owner's in the future!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

Found the leak source

I finally got to the top of the engine in the bedroom. I had to install a temp handle on the stubborn plywood engine hatch and pry it off.

The leak turned out to be a fuel leak on a brass fitting (see picture below). I tightened the nut, but it apparently has a small crack in it.

I don't know yet if I can repair it, or if I need to take it to the professionals. I am not too keen on messing with fuel lines.

After looking at my manual, under the engine group diagram of the fuel system for the 400 ISL, it appears to be a fuel line that leaves the engine and goes to the generator (this is only a guess as I am not familiar with how the fuel system travels on this chassis.

Any mechanics out there that are familiar with this system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4350.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	264377  
Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

I cannot help with the question.

I can say that we were incapacitated on an uphill blind curve on Hwy 50 between Tahoe and Folsom one Sunday PM when our fuel line broke.

Cars just flew by like we were inconsiderate.

Get yours fixed before it decides to separate and deadline your rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #9

That is a nylon fuel line. Its not wise to connect directly to the engine due to vibration. measure the nylon line OD and remove the fitting. Take it to a commercial hose shop and have them provide you with new fitting and an 8 inch or so flex line. Install with a loop on the flex. This provides an isolation to the nylon tubing. Simple fix. If you got the lid off you are more then capable to fix the assembly. I am glad you caught that. Its a known issue on a lot of machines and is a significant fire hazard. In a perfect world all lines connecting to the engine would be braided multi-ply fuel rated hose not nylon air tubing.Also they will likely supply you with a push on O ring shark bite style fitting as they are more forgiving compared to a ferrel compression fitting normally used with copper tubing. Should cost less then 30 bucks. If you need details just ask.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
TR4

Looks like a fuel return line from the head. Can you follow it to the lift pump manifold? The lift pump should be just below.

Bill
Old 11-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Just got back from a long car trip, and am ready to try and replace this fuel line fitting. I took a few more pictures. The hose coming from the leaking brass fitting, goes forward at least 4 feet before it joins other lines that are held together with a zip tie. It then continues under the floor to Who knows Where? I would like to replace the entire hose, if I can figure out where it terminates.

I may have to get underneath and try to follow it visually. Or is there a way to safety tap into the hose near the fitting?

My last option would be trying to get it to a shop about 30 miles away. The drip is slow, so I am thinking that I might make it without serious problems.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #12

Here are the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4366.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	265962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	265963