Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Smart Tire Sensors - To replace or not!

Hello Fellow RVers!
I'm replacing my front tires and rims from 315/80R/22.5 to 365/70R/22.5. In the process I'll be putting my front tires that are almost brand new with less than $1,500 mi with late 2014 date. So, I'll be dismounting and remounting most of my tires. I also want to put dual tire pressure equalizers, either Cat's Eye or Cross Fire (haven't decided which on yet).
The sensor in my OEM Smart Tire System are 7 to 8 years old and I have had sporadic issues with the system, sometimes not working properly. I understand the sensor are available through Les Schwab Tire Centers for around $83 each.
So, my question is, would you recommend I replace them all at a roughly cost of $664 + reprogramming?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Hello Fellow RVers!
I'm replacing my front tires and rims from 315/80R/22.5 to 365/70R/22.5. In the process I'll be putting my front tires that are almost brand new with less than $1,500 mi with late 2014 date. So, I'll be dismounting and remounting most of my tires. I also want to put dual tire pressure equalizers, either Cat's Eye or Cross Fire (haven't decided which on yet).
The sensor in my OEM Smart Tire System are 7 to 8 years old and I have had sporadic issues with the system, sometimes not working properly. I understand the sensor are available through Les Schwab Tire Centers for around $83 each.
So, my question is, would you recommend I replace them all at a roughly cost of $664 + reprogramming?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Just my opinion but if I had a working SmarTire system I would do whatever I could to keep it working. There is nothing else available that will do what the SmarTire system does. Les Schwab reprogrammed my new sensors at no cost when I replaced my sensors a couple of years ago. If you have the Silver Leaf system that monitors SmarTire you should be able to program them yourself.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
BarneyM: Thanks for the input. It is really helpful to hear from someone who has actually done it.
In my case, it is not integrated with my Silverleaf. It has a separate display and controls mounted on the left side of the dash. So, I would have to have it re-programmed!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the same setup as the OP. I upped the pressure and now am getting high pressure warnings on my fronts. Thought the sensors were going bad till I thought about it. Was wondering what the cost of new sensors was. Would like to keep the Smartire setup but I have a TST tpms system I bought for the Dutch Star although I will need to buy two more sensors for about $100.
Does the Les Schwab in Junction City work with the FMCA Advantage program? Might just have it all done at once when things settle down with the DW's cancer chemo.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

I also use the TST system and really like it. Mine is the older version and have to send sensors back for new batteries every 4-6 years but works great. Have it on the coach and my toad using one monitor. The newer systems have user friendly barrety replacement. That said when you return for new battery they reseal, caliberate and ship out to you very quickly.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waternut View Post
I also use the TST system and really like it. Mine is the older version and have to send sensors back for new batteries every 4-6 years but works great. Have it on the coach and my toad using one monitor. The newer systems have user friendly barrety replacement. That said when you return for new battery they reseal, caliberate and ship out to you very quickly.
Ours from the Dutch Star is the newer 507 with replaceable batteries. Two sensors are the cap style and 4 are the flow through. If I were going to put it on the Magna I'd get two more of the cap style due to the offset of the 10" wide aluminum rims. Just no room for the longer flow throughs.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We have the same setup as the OP. I upped the pressure and now am getting high pressure warnings on my fronts. Thought the sensors were going bad till I thought about it. Was wondering what the cost of new sensors was. Would like to keep the Smartire setup but I have a TST tpms system I bought for the Dutch Star although I will need to buy two more sensors for about $100.
Does the Les Schwab in Junction City work with the FMCA Advantage program? Might just have it all done at once when things settle down with the DW's cancer chemo.
The new sensors are around $80 each and they need to be programmed by the dealer unless your Smart Tire is integrated with SilverLeaf in which case you can do it yourself. In my case since I do not have a SilverLeaf integrated system and I am not close to Les Schwab, I just purchased all eight new sensors from Kevin Waite and sent him the Smart Tire Black Control unit to have all the new sensors programmed.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I didn't realize the sensors needed to be programmed by a dealer. From what I found on the SmarTire web site is looks like any owner could do it. Did I read the info wrong?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

I didn't know that Smart Tire could be interfaced with Silverleaf. From what SL told me, the only system that works with them is Dornan Pressure Pro.

Anyway, if I was going to dismount all tires, I would go with new Smart Tire all around
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

Frankly, I think the Smart tire systems are a waste of money. A friend of ours has the cap style pressure sensors, and he has had a tire go flat on the coach and the toad, apparently through a leak in the caps. We lost two tires--both Toyos--both times the tread separated. The second time I checked the tire pressure, and it still held 100 psi with 4 feet of the tread slapping loose. If you have a blow-out on the coach, you don't need a tire pressure indicator to tell you what happened.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D: Les Schwab in Junction City does work with the FMCA Advantage program. At least they did when I bought my Michelins in 2014. The other advantage is you avoid local sales tax.

They also sell the replacement sensors for the Smart Tire system.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
There are a variety of different types of Smart Tire Systems. Mine are the kind that were OEM but not integrated with Silverleaf and some that have stand alone display and controls. Both of these types have sensors that are inside the tires. BTW, it is my understanding that both of these types were OEM's on CCs. If it is integrated with Silverleaf they are easy to manage, ie, rotate tires, etc. but if it has a separate display and control on the dash like mine then some changes need to be made by the dealer like programming them after replacement.
I hope this clarifies some misconceptions!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #13

Our 04 Allure had Smart Tire system, with it's own display (not integrated to our Silverleaf). They were just going out when I bought our coach.

Like MR D, I had a system that I was already familiar with. So I bought the extra sensors for the tags, and then mounted the display in place of the Smart Tire. It was a big later that I added the Crossfires, so now I have two extra sensors!

IMO - TPMS is an important safety edge. Don't leave home without one of them! Every little bit helps, while making safety a habit.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #14

Replacement smart tire sensors can be obtained at Fleetpride Tacoma Washington.
Part number 201.0007N for $62.99. They have 12 in stock. Talk to Polly the manager if you have any questions.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace