Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #1

Smart Wheel 5A fuse failure...Wipers run amuck!

Having an interesting prob with my Smartwheel. Stopped at a rest stop for a break. Shut engine off. 10 min later turned ign sw on and wipers are running on their own..out of sync..no shuting down of wipers. Turns off ign and wipers stop.OK, turn ign on and wipers are chasing each other like two chiwawas at a wiener roast. Found 5A fuse to the smart wheel blown. Replaced fuse and off we go. Had rain on this trip thru LAand all went well. All functions work on SWheel. Stop at our destination, unhook car, ign on and the chiwawas are back. Replaced Smart wheel fuse and off we go to park the coach. Looked up troubleshooting manual and most of the info is about logic errors. Cannot find a pattern to this fuse situation.
Opened up steering column to see if any wires were grounding out. Looked at the usual pivot points carefully for a problem...none. Still, I tapped up ANY wires that COULD be rubbing. Left the ign sw on to see if moving the wire harness could recreate the problem. Nope!
So, two fuses blown after at least a 2 hour drive.....no steering wheel adj done...up or down, in or out.
Also, I have reseatd the cables to the SW control box. Looked at connectors...nothing looks burnt..just normal.
Really not funny watching the Chiwawas run amuck!
Ideas? Thx in advance. Bob 02 CC Allure
roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Sent you a PM
Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Ran several hundred miles without any failure. Stopped at several rest stops and had engine off/on. Then, another stop and back to back fuse failures. Soooo, with the docs folks sent, I unplugged the J9 connector to narrow down the failure. Yes, wipers are totally Inop now. The windshield is drenched with RAIN X for my trip.
I also notice the headlights will be inop when the 5a fuse blows, too.
The idea is if the fuse blows again, I will plug in J9 and unplug J10 for more narrowing down of the problem.
Still looking for any bare wires, but all the usual sharp edges are covered to prevent chaffing.
Yes, when the fuse is in place and working, ALL Smart Wheel functions work correctly.
Have an e mail sent to VIP, but the holidays will be a normal delay for a response.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

Hi: Good news! I had a run up I5 today with lots of rest stops to Finally narrow down the problem. Turns out the toad electrical cable was the bug. I had a solid failure for three rest stops to narrow down. Then at our campsite I swapped a known good cable...no more blown fuses.
So, took ohmed out the bad cable..no sign of a problem.
Took apart the bad cable and still no sign of a problem.
Reinstalled and tested ok. May still have a future problem but know now the running lites triggered the event/blown fuse. All other problems were the after effect not the originator.
BTW, when the fuse blows, the horn does not function, the cruise works and no lites.
So it goes. Thx, Bob

Tags
fuse