Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So What's Up in Junction City?

Even though I no longer own a CC, I peek in at this forum often to see what is going on and to see if I could help anyone with an issue.

I am curious about the status of what was left of the CC support in JC. Now that Winnebago decided to leave there (are they gone?) what happened to the techs doing service? I did read on another forum where someone spoke recently to 'Greg Bootes at Country Coach' so wondered who was left.

Even though WGO decided not to manufacture in JC, did they still commit to providing support to existing CC owners?

Looking at the WGO site, they now only show two DP's available.....the redesigned Horizon and the lower end Forza. It seems they have really downsized their DP offerings.

We still miss the Allure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

We drove by their maintenance and I assume parts building, now no longer in the main building where Corporate CC was, but across and down the street towards the north a block or so. Lots of coaches outside, so assume they're still servicing both CC's and WGO DP's(?) too?

If WGO reads such forums, I'll share an opinion that they've so far squandered and mismanaged the CC integration into their WGO company fold. A strong effort to revive the history of the build sheets data from the computer data they've now assumed control of - would have gone a long way in helping existing CC owners. (A customer happy on support, is also more probable to remain within the company when looking for replacement coaches.)

I also believe a concentrated effort to poll existing/former CC owner's for input on what they'd need to do to a WGO product to have CC owner's trade in for a WGO CC product, would have given them the opportunity to join basically the last three in producing higher tiered DP's. I believe Foretravel, Newmar and Entegra (I've left Entegra in this group due to the Cornerstone. But if Entegra does not double down on quality of build, I'd personally slip them out of this grouping. Onwer's I've talked to of newer Cornerstone's, were not quite as happy as they had been with previous, earlier years, of Entegra's. One new Cornerstone owner, said he'd wished he'd kept his Anthem (I think 2014/2015.) and added Active Air to it... He was very disappointed in the quality of the Cornerstone 'as delivered'. But, said I rep he talked too said they knew they had work to do due to regain higher quality standards, as they keep training their expanding workforce. So fingers crossed this takes place!) - are the only three that serious attempt to build higher tiered Class A DP's.

WGO with a CC on a custom 'one off' Spartan Chassis (I doubt we'll ever see our fine coach chassis ever again!), and superior material content and attention to detail on craftsmanship - could get them a flagship Class A DP.

While I understand they're focusing on the entry and midlevel DP's, built to reach a certain price point - and of course they're making a good price margin on these... They're is a large group of aging CC owner's (Both coaches, and in my case - myself too!, that 'if' the right CC was built now (Or at least a worthy match to upper tier of the mentioned manufacturers - they could have a good base group for sales to focus on. And, as Fleetwood (Well, now REV.) has the American line for Fleetwood owners to move up the food chain - they'd have an offering to their WGO DP owner's, who are looking for an upscale rig for say retirement...

Miss opportunities, so far, IMO!

And thanks for popping back in, I miss your post's!! Hope the fiver is treating you well, and that you wife's back is doing well too!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

This is what I observed on 5/24. The park has what I believe to be Winnie waiting for service since there are vehicles parked in front of them. In the back of them is Kenai Coach, lot looks full. On the street behind Bi-Mart and across the street a number of Country Coach's, no idea if they are on consignment or are waiting for service. Service for Winnie and CC was closed, it was after 4:30 PM. Went by the old CC building on 1st Ave. person was leaving, otherwise did not see any activity. The back gate was open. I understand a job fair was held for the Winnie employees who where laid off. Will be there on 6/22, Taking requests for anyone on things I might be able to to find out about.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to both of you, Smitty and Wally, for the info.

Greg and many of the service techs I met at CC were great folks so I hope they were able to stay employed doing what they want to do. The service operation had moved to a building just across the railroad line on 4th street. There was nothing but manufacturing going on in the buildings behind the old corporate building. The chassis shop was still open in its original location.

I think ever seeing anything from WGO remotely resembling anything CC made is a nice dream but a dream only. I never really took to Entegras. Any of the interiors I saw looked too bordello-like for my tastes and I have never seen an Entegra paint job that I thought was not overdone with swirlys.
I know they have a loyal customer base and NIRVC has a great reputation as the top dealer. I wonder what Entegra folks were thinking when they agreed to let Camping World sell them..

Smitty, we are enjoying the Solitude 5th wheel. It offers lot of living and storage space. We bought a lot at Ocean Lakes RV park with an old park model trailer on it. We are having the park model removed and will have our 5th wheel set up on it. It has a couple of nice shade trees, a patio and a really nice utility building for our golf car and other stuff.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

I understand that there are 2 people working at OMC with the same last name.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I looked at a new Cornerstone and I don't think the quality of build and materials matched our '02 Dutch Star. I was not impressed especially since I was also comparing it to my '09 Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: I have heard from a trusted source at WGO (someone in a management position in their service area with whom I developed a relationship when I was a moderator for the Winnebago owners forum on IRV2).

He tells me they plan to continue to run the service operation in JC 'full bore.' That includes leaving all the former service folks in place. He says those folks will keep whatever CC parts are still available there. Parts for Winnebago repairs will be shipped to them from Forest City.

I guess WGO realizes having a West coast service operation is a good idea for Winne owners. That's also good news for those service employees. While he did not mention Greg Bootes specifically, I suspect Greg is so attached to the service/parts operation he will stay also.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #8

Gregg Bootes replied to an email question I had this week so I’m happy to report he is still there.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote