Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Solar battery maintainer

We're new at this RVing thing so be gentle! I've had a few battery problems in my 2002 Georgie Boy so both batteries (house and chassis, which is a Ford F53 v10) have been replaced..My GPS is plugged into cigarette lighter and pulsates from regular to bright and back and will not operate properly. I replaced the lighter but no fix. I by-passed the chassis battery and wired it direct to house battery and now it's OK. But I still have an electrical problem of some kind. The only thing that's on the cigarette lighter circuit is OBD connector, according to owner manual.. The mechanic couldn't locate an OBD connector anywhere, under dash or under hood, and he looked for a long time. He is supposed to return today or tomorrow after doing some research. Anyone ever had such a problem?

An additional potential problem is I have no shore power to hook up to when I'm not using RV and am considering using solar power battery maintainer but have no clue which wattage to use. I'm thinking 5 watts would be sufficient. If anyone knows differently I would greatly appreciate the info.....Jim

jpbodiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
You will probably get more responses in the Class A forum.

I have a 100w solar panel on my roof. In late Spring through October, the panel gets enough sun exposure to allow me to avoid using the house battery cut off switch and still maintain my 440 AH battery bank.

I also have a Trik-L-Start gizmo installed that charges my chassis batteries from the house batteries.

The rest of the year, here in Sacramento, the 100w and shaded sun, forces me to shut off the house batteries.

I seldom shut off the chassis batteries between trips.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, solar