Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Source For Dash HVAC Vent

Tried Kevin Waite and NW RV Supply. They have a replacement but it does not have the look-of-chrome trim around the edges. Sent an e-mail just now to Veurinks.

Went to a junk yard and a NAPA here in Phoenix but no luck. Also came up short on the internet, eBay, etc.

Any sourcing ideas?

TIA

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Found this in a quick search.

AC Heat Air Vent Custom Black Chrome Trim RV Van camper motorhome Travel Trailer | eBay

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Thanks, Dean, but it's shorter and wider than the one I need. Veurinks has the same one that NW RV Supply and Kevin Waite have i.e., solid black with no look-of-chrome trim.

Still looking.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 02-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Source For Dash HVAC Vent

If you remove the existing vent from the dash, you will probably find some identifying marks molded into it. It may be a bit cryptic, but a bit of research will probably lead to the manufacturer. The vent in your photo could be from any of the Big 3 auto makers. It has a 1980s General Motors look to me. You might also look toward the manufacturer of the air conditioning system for some hints.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

http://http://nostalgicac.com/duct-h...2-x-5-3-4.html

Here is your solid black vent also. $15.

Maybe a call to them would yield a clue.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Buy a little bottle of chrome model paint and a small paint brush from a hobby store and apply the chrome paint to the trim. I used this method to touch up automotive trim back in the 70's and 80's.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the references and suggestions. All of the ones I tracked down were not quite the same form as the original, look-of-chrome trim notwithstanding. So I decided to try and repair the original one. I'm very pleased to have learned the new-to-me trick of solvent plastic welding. Not exactly "new". I've laid many yards of PVC sprinkler pipe using the solvent welding technique but did not think of using it to repair plastic parts found in other applications.

In the original post you can see the wounded louver in the dash vent.

Fabricated a new actuating pin out of a piece of scrap plastic and a nail.
Checked the diameter of the hole in the rack into which the pin would engage. Scrounged the shop for a nail of about that size and trimmed to length.
Drilled a hole in the piece of scrap ever so slightly smaller than the nail diameter.
Pressed in the nail. Set the nail/scrap assembly on the louver and tested fit, sanding the scrap plastic piece as needed to get the pin to align with the hole in the rack.
Put a drop of acetone on the louver and one on the plastic scrap and clamped the two together.
Voila!

Here's the repaired louver assembly before putting it all back together.

In the dis-assembly process I managed to break off the nub that the louver assembly rotates on and went jumping around the shop shouting in my best sailor-ese. But wait - we're doing solvent plastic welding here. It worked on this piece too.

I can see where this technique will be very handy in the future.

FWIW

Tags
dash, vent