Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spare Alternator?

I'm curious if any of my fellow CC owners carry a spare engine alternator with them. I've read some threads where folks with DP's (7 -10 years of age) had alternator failures while traveling and were delayed getting repairs. Those who had a spare (sometimes their old alternator rebuilt and kept as spare), were back on the road in mere hours.

So, how many have had failures, how hard is it to find an exact replacement, etc.? I believe many of us have 200 and perhaps 270 amp units since many of our rigs came with residential fridges and larger inverters.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

I had a alternator failure about 70,000 miles ago. I noticed the voltage dropping so I just started the generator to charge up the batteries. When they got up sufficiently I would turn the generator off and then start it up again when needed. I went from St Paul back to WA this way and when I had some down time I removed the alternator and had it repaired. No big deal so I wouldn't carry a spare

Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 160 amp alternator went out a year or more ago. Only thing I noticed was that the house batteries were low when we stopped for the night. Went to buy a new alternator and found they were on sale and Pacific Diesel said they were the right ones. Cost was about $160 or so, got it home and found it wasn't the right one. Did some research on the internet and found the correct part number. A week or so later I had the right one but the cost as about $450.
Last month I took the old one and had it rebuilt, cost was $196. It will reside under the bed till I need it I guess. Had we been on the road I would have been delayed a week at least while finding the right unit and getting it shipped in.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

We had our alternator fail coming back from a short trip 3 years ago, so it lasted 17 years. The rebuilt alternator failed a couple of months later while I had the coach out for generator service, and it was replaced under warranty. It is a 160-Amp unit, and cost $355. Haven't had any issues since.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #5

I drove 2/3 the way around Australia in my MCI without an alternator. Just ran everything from the house battery which is charged by the solar panels. Never needed to run the generator, but of course only drove during daylight hours.

Million other things that will stop you dead so carrying an alternator around for no good reason doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not have a Diesel but do have an alternator and used to have a van that liked to eat them.

What I carry in my motor home
Jumper cables capabile of jumpering AUX to MAIN battery (House to chassis)
Generator
Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard
(The above constitutes an alternate 12 volt source should the alternator fail)

Wrenches (For removal and replacement of alternator)
GOOGLE: Alternator Rebuild near zip code.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #7

Connect house bank positive to chassis bank positive with jumper cable.

Run generator.

Drive on.

No big need for spare alternator.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Most Country Coaches have no need to connect battery banks via jumper cables. With engine running and adequate oil pressure a solenoid closes paralleling the house and chassis banks. Run generator and you're good to go.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I'm curious if any of my fellow CC owners carry a spare engine alternator with them. I've read some threads where folks with DP's (7 -10 years of age) had alternator failures while traveling and were delayed getting repairs. Those who had a spare (sometimes their old alternator rebuilt and kept as spare), were back on the road in mere hours.

So, how many have had failures, how hard is it to find an exact replacement, etc.? I believe many of us have 200 and perhaps 270 amp units since many of our rigs came with residential fridges and larger inverters.
smlranger
I'm not a CC owner but I do carry a "known good" spare alternator as a "backup" for my "twice rebuilt" original alternator.
Mel
'96 Safari 3126 Cat, 135k miles
Old 11-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

The Leece Neville is not a very good alternator. Very expensive and difficult to find at times and not reliable. I went with this as a replacement. I've been very happy with it:

8600311 by DELCO REMY - PART

Here's a little info I collected:

Leece Neville

The original was a 160 amp which I believe is standard on most Country Coaches. Going any larger than a 180 amp would just overload the 2/0 cable coming from the alternator.

The 160amp is only $221 brand new! Not a bad deal.

http://www.finditparts.com/products/...o-remy-8600308
Old 11-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
The Leece Neville is not a very good alternator. Very expensive and difficult to find at times and not reliable. I went with this as a replacement. I've been very happy with it:

8600311 by DELCO REMY - PART

Here's a little info I collected:

Leece Neville

The original was a 160 amp which I believe is standard on most Country Coaches. Going any larger than a 180 amp would just overload the 2/0 cable coming from the alternator.

The 160amp is only $221 brand new! Not a bad deal.

8600308 by DELCO REMY - PART
Thanks for the info. Mine is 200 amp. CC used a higher amp alternator in coaches with residential fridges.

Mine looks like this one.... bolts go thru the side into the engine.

http://www.amazon.com/ALTERNATOR-NEV.../dp/B00E9G2DO2
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Connect house bank positive to chassis bank positive with jumper cable.

Run generator.

Drive on.

No big need for spare alternator.

Agreed! Why carry a spare alternator given the above. If you want to carry a spare part that could really get you out of a bind, you'd be better served to buy a spare starter.

Tags
alternator