Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Specific issues to check on Allure/Intrigue

I've been shopping for CC's for quite some time, and have amassed a lot of knowledge. That said, you all are a supremely well-versed group so I thought I'd pose this question here - the more info, the merrier.

We are listing our home tomorrow, selling our cars and our current RV, & hitting the road for a while. A 2001-2004 36' CC is our target. We won't have a ton of time before starting our travels to go through the coach so would much prefer acquiring one that doesn't need a lot of work.

What are the specific issues to look out for on a 2003 Allure/Intrigue, besides the usual stuff for all MH's (like roof health, general maintenance, etc)?

-aluminum radiator could be a problem
-CAPS
-older fuel lines for hydronic heating are definitely a problem

Thank you.
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you checked out Kenai Coach? (https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFiles/) They deal mainly in high end older coaches. They take them to Oregon Motor Coach and have them go through each one and will fix up what they are aware of and some stuff that a lot of coach owners are ignorant of. Their prices seem high but when you figure in the usual down time of putting a new to you coach on the road again it's pretty reasonable. Good Luck and happy hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
One thing I thought of was the "elbows" where the hydronic boiler fluid enters/exits the Hydro-Hot (or equivalent). I remember one of the guys here urging me to check to make sure the original plastic pieces had been swapped out for metal ones.

I was trying to think if there were any engine-related issues in those years (e.g. Cummins wrist pins) but I couldn't come up with anything.
Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Community Moderator

- If engine is an ISC 350, cracked exhaust manifolds
- For the same engine, lift pump leak
- Generator fuel lines
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

Add dry vs wet PTO's:

http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf

Depending upon the specific year, and model, you could have either the ISC or ISL from Cummins, and some 04 Intrigue's could have a C-12 or C-13 CAT.

The ISL, C-12 and C-13 gets you Jake Compression 2 Stage Brake Assist, vs the ISC will have Pac Exhaust Brake Assist. IMO, Jake Compression is preferable.

04 ISL's will get you into the Common Rail and Variable Geometry Turbo, which is preferable over the CAPS era ISL (And I believe the ISC also shifted to Common Rail and Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) at the same time(?) - though I admit my memory is fuzzy on that detail.

Later 2003 and into 2004, moves you from Hurricane to Hydro Hot hot water and heating systems. If buying easier then I think 03(?) - make sure the Hurricane has been updated to include an accumulation tank. (Can't recall the exact year and model, but the early coaches with Hurricanes, had to have the Diesel Fired up to make hot water on demand, each time you turned on the faucet for hot water. The accumulation tank (my wording may not be accurate) allows stored hot water to satisfy short need hot water usage. (Rixen is a good source for information when researching specific Hurricane systems. Suspect they'd know the years and models of CC's that might need to have this checked. (And of course, this brain trust group of CC owner's will hopefully know too!)

https://www.rixens.com

Last thought is 04 Intrigues, I believe had the Generator in a slide out, vs either front mounted with no slide out, and or mounted in the first bay behind the driver's wheel. Slide out's make servicing much easier, and less expensive. (And I could be off on the year about the Intrigue, but now my 04 Allure has a front mounted QD8000, on a Non Slide.)

Any coach before say 2005, and probably even some into 2005. Should have their rubber fuel lines checked to see if they've been replaced. The shift to ULSD fuels, resulted in porosity holes and leakage. Generator and hydronic heating systems feeds fuel lines, not engine fuel lines, as they are typically metal tubing.

ULSD also impacted the gasket around the Lift Pumps of both the CAPS era ISC and ISL engines. So check for receipts on if that has been addressed.

04 Allures, and I believe Intrigues, with 2 slides, and possibly 3 slides - use Power Gear electric motors slides vs HWH hydraulic slides. Our Power Gear's Electrics have been so far relatively bullet proof. With occasional problems, being largely caused by operator stupidity/error!

The depth of the front slide are deeper in the 04 (And maybe 03(?)) models.

Both the Allure and Intrigue of that era, were well built and thought of coaches. I have a friend who is targeting the 2003-2004 era Allure/Intrigue in a 40'. He is not planning on any heaving towing. If he was, I'd suggest the Intrigue or Magna with C-12 or C-13.

Happy hunting to you, and best of luck,
Smitty
04 Allure
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

When it comes to these older coaches less is better, IMO. Regular furnace over the Hurricane hydronic especially if your going to be spending winter in the south. The 400 ISL in a 36’ is a nice traveling coach. But I wouldn’t rule out going up to 40’, as you’ll have more selection, and will pay less.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
When it comes to these older coaches less is better, IMO. Regular furnace over the Hurricane hydronic especially if your going to be spending winter in the south. The 400 ISL in a 36’ is a nice traveling coach. But I wouldn’t rule out going up to 40’, as you’ll have more selection, and will pay less.
That's a great point on the pricing of 40' over 36'. Higher quantities of the 40' coaches, equate to lower prices. And unless the OP, or any buyer, has a specific need for a 36' coach - for longer times, and travels - that extra 4' is nice for both living, and basement storage. And with a Tag, either Allure/Intrigue should provide great CCC's. (We're at just under 12K CCC on our 04 Allure 40' 2 slide.)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
That's a great point on the pricing of 40' over 36'. Higher quantities of the 40' coaches, equate to lower prices. And unless the OP, or any buyer, has a specific need for a 36' coach - for longer times, and travels - that extra 4' is nice for both living, and basement storage. And with a Tag, either Allure/Intrigue should provide great CCC's. (We're at just under 12K CCC on our 04 Allure 40' 2 slide.)

Best to all,
Smitty
Looking at pricing for the short tags on the Kenai lot, Smitty, I'd say you were onto something. They sell them dear!
You've got 12K CCC? Huh. I thought I was doing well at 5200 on our 42. Guess not!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
Looking at pricing for the short tags on the Kenai lot, Smitty, I'd say you were onto something. They sell them dear!
You've got 12K CCC? Huh. I thought I was doing well at 5200 on our 42. Guess not!
5200 CCC is more then supportive of most of us, maybe a traveling Blacksmith would need more!

Your 05 Intrigue:

-2 more feet
-New body style, taller
-Intrigue content vs Allure content
-THE BIG ONE's = C-13 and Allison 4000 and beefed up drive train and probably cooling capacity too
-Not sure of your slides, but probably 375-500 lbs for bedroom size slides, and at least 500 lbs for front slides. Bit more for the the 30" deep slides
-And on slides, Hydraulic will weight more the Electric
-Slide out generator
-Do you have 3 AC's vs 2

Our Allure

-2 less feet
-2 Slides
-Older body style, not as high
-Non slide front generator
-ISL and Allison 3000 and smaller shafts, axles, and probably coolant
-2 AC's
-Allure content vs Intrigue content

And I was wrong on the CCC. I read 11,157, as 11,757 (Working aerospace, and not having glasses on - my eyes and lack of mind combination - jumped to '757' from Boeing!). So I should have said 11K CCC vs 12K.

And on 36' vs 40'. The basement storage may have 1/2 bay more space in the 40' then then 36' (As you all know, the tag eats up space.), and I was thinking of a 34' CC I'd been looking at here in our park, when say more basement storage with the 40'. 36' non tag vs 40' tag - basement space probably not as much of of a difference.

Best again to all,
Smitty
Old 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #10

Lots of good info, all, thank you for jogging my memory of all the things I've seen in various posts to look out for. The target coaches we like right now have the 370hp ISL.

Re: hydronic vs forced air furnace, we despise forced air and have transitioned to Wave heater w/occasional forced air supplementally in our current rig. Hubby fixed a lot of the ducting, intake, etc on the forced air furnace so it runs way better, more efficiently, and is more quiet...but we still don't like it. I realize hydronic comes with maintenance, but hubby is a mechanic & hopefully we can get the hydronic working well on whatever coach we purchase, if it's not already.

We originally thought we wanted 32' b/c we do a lot of state/national/regional parks visits but then we checked out a 32' and...well, we realized that's just too small for full timing, for us. That's why 36' seems like the sweet spot for us - one more storage bay + 4' more inside (in the galley & bathroom areas, it seems). We aren't 100% ruling out a 40' but would only want a tag, if we went to that length.

Just like buying a home, our coach purchase will likely be determined by the available inventory when we're ready to buy (which should be in about 2 weeks or less).
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #11

I'm obviously a fan of CC's! So hope you find one that you like (A rare 37' (Measured closer to 38' as I recall(?)) CC with Tag was built one year!).

In addition to CC, and also with I believe 34-38' coaches, are Alpines. Lots to like on these. Peak chassis with huck bolts, is one of the best handling chassis in an RV. Disc brakes, for sure on the front and I think rear too(?). Good construction and material used. In the same era of CC, they had a bit more modern interior look then some of the CC's. Some could be found with MED (Mode Entry Doors) - which some people are fine with. (Basically you get a better view out of the front passenger seat, and if a door is leaking, it's behind you no in your cab. But you then give up floor space for the stairwell, as well as usually cabinet space too, for the MDE. Kitchen and bathroom are closer for coming in from the patio.)

One unusual thing with the Alpine's, is they had I believe it was called Hydraulic over Air brakes. And some of the later year Alpines, had some brains (To reduce wire runs.) between front and back. That when they work are great. When they have problems, you have to know the game of where and who to get help from to repair/fix. (Very strong, like CC and Travel Supreme, Owner's Group - so lots of help!). Believe they're called Vansco Multplex Modules(?).

And another nice coach respected by their owners, in I think only as short as 38', are the Travel Supreme's.

So when hunting, if you have not checked these, might be worth looking at in comparison the the CC's that come along. I do not believe either one of these are getting the same pries as the CC's are(?). (And yep, a regional thing for sure...)

And don't get me wrong - OF COURSE A CC IS BETTER THEN ANY OTHER BRAND COACH! (But other fine coaches, exist, heck even older Foretravel's are under 38' too!).

Again, happy hunting,
Smitty
Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Amen. Keep it simple. 32's are at a real premium 36's less so but 40's of any brand in ample supply. In CC 36 go for the two slide it makes a huge difference in the utility of the coach.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I'm obviously a fan of CC's! So hope you find one that you like (A rare 37' (Measured closer to 38' as I recall(?)) CC with Tag was built one year!)

Again, happy hunting,
Smitty

The Allure 37' Sunset Bay model with tag was produced 06, 07, and 08 to my knowledge. Not sure if this was the CC you recall.

My 07 does measure 37' 10". With tag raised it does turn tight.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #14

Great coach
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote