RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Stair Well Cover Not Working - 1999 Allure

Hi. First Tech question on our new-to-us, ‘99 Allure.

The step slide cover doesn’t work. I don’t hear any sounds when the toggle is pressed in either direction. The 20A breaker fuse was replaced to no avail. Confirmed that power is going to the switch. Switch seems to test okay. I think it may be the motor, or other's have thought it may be a switch.

Have you had experience with your stair well cover, that you fixed?

What do you think? Switch, motor or something else?

I'm attaching a pic of the motor (I believe...from tracing the schematic wires) 😳, but then again, this is my first time reading wiring schematics. So, if this is actually the elusive “flux capacitor”, just let me know. 🙂

I have a call in with CC/Win parts dept. but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on the possible problem?

Thank you for your problem solving insights!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stair Slide Cover.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	226595

Click image for larger version

Name:	stair cover toggle.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	226596
__________________

__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Member
 
SeaDo's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 41
The first repair I had to make when we bought our 1997 32' Allure.( in 2010)
Mine was somewhat working but usually had to give it a hand when opening. I sent the whole actuator in to be rebuilt, to the manufacturer near the CC facility, cost was around $300 .
I can probably find a phone # for you if your interested. (let me know)

BTW , as I remember it had one bolt that attached it to the slide, had to go underneath and reach above the Air Conditioner coils to get to it. Then the whole thing came out thru the bay in front of the DS front axle.
__________________

__________________
Wayne

1997 Country Coach Allure 32' 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK
SeaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Member
 
PRO-BILT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 81
Others will chime in but don't go replacing parts yet. In simple terms, it has a "overload" on it if it binds up or hits something. Just like the exterior step. The shaft/gears may need to be cleaned/lubed. I have to do mine as well
__________________
Why do we do this?
2002 Country Coach Allure 36' 350 HP.
Getting pushed by an enclosed dragster race trailer.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-BILT View Post
Others will chime in but don't go replacing parts yet. In simple terms, it has a "overload" on it if it binds up or hits something. Just like the exterior step. The shaft/gears may need to be cleaned/lubed. I have to do mine as well
I wonder what kind of maintenance is required? Following this.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDo View Post
The first repair I had to make when we bought our 1997 32' Allure.( in 2010)
Mine was somewhat working but usually had to give it a hand when opening. I sent the whole actuator in to be rebuilt, to the manufacturer near the CC facility, cost was around $300 .
I can probably find a phone # for you if your interested. (let me know)

BTW , as I remember it had one bolt that attached it to the slide, had to go underneath and reach above the Air Conditioner coils to get to it. Then the whole thing came out thru the bay in front of the DS front axle.


Hi. Thanks for the reply. I called CC/Winnebago today and they said I would have to have the actuator rebuilt if it turns out to be that. Good news is that they have the switch for $14.
__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-BILT View Post
Others will chime in but don't go replacing parts yet. In simple terms, it has a "overload" on it if it binds up or hits something. Just like the exterior step. The shaft/gears may need to be cleaned/lubed. I have to do mine as well


Copy that!
__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 267
So did you get it fixed? If you have power going thru the switch then have someone hold the switch closed and check the wires at the motor. If you have power at the wires then the motor is the cause.
Since this is a DC motor sometimes they need a little tap to get the brushes to set against the armature. If you're old enough you can remember back to the '50's starter motors that on some cars they needed this persuasion to get them going.
JM .02 worth
__________________
Bill & CJ
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 190,000 and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
deandec's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,865
I just pulled my Step Cover Motor.

Once removed from the actuator slide it spins fine.

And the slide now moves easily. (After several years of tapping the actuator with a hammer for corrective action, that fix failed to work.)

Now trying to find the fuse for wire 258 that supposedly provides power to the switch. Must be an inline fuse.

I sprayed some oil into the motor shaft hole.

May have to remove the whole actuator to reinstall the motor.
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Stair Cover - update - no update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
So did you get it fixed? If you have power going thru the switch then have someone hold the switch closed and check the wires at the motor. If you have power at the wires then the motor is the cause.
Since this is a DC motor sometimes they need a little tap to get the brushes to set against the armature. If you're old enough you can remember back to the '50's starter motors that on some cars they needed this persuasion to get them going.
JM .02 worth
****************************************
Hi, Bill.
We haven't yet got it fixed, as we have been working on upgrading other items.
I did confirm that I am getting power thru the switch. I will be checking the motor the motor this week, as well as the limit switch. I appreciate your insights, and have filed them for reference when i get back to the stair cover. I'll repost, once i have a solution or have exhausted my efforts.

Thanks!
__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I just pulled my Step Cover Motor.

Once removed from the actuator slide it spins fine.

And the slide now moves easily. (After several years of tapping the actuator with a hammer for corrective action, that fix failed to work.)

Now trying to find the fuse for wire 258 that supposedly provides power to the switch. Must be an inline fuse.

I sprayed some oil into the motor shaft hole.

May have to remove the whole actuator to reinstall the motor.

******************************
Thanks for the insight. I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but that didn't help. I think mine is the motor - I called W-CC and they said I can't get the motor or even replace it anymore, but that i could send the whole assembly to OR and they could rebuild it. If I confirm that it is the Motor, i'll likely just pull the motor and add a handle so we can just manually operate it if needed.

I'll repost when i have an update. Thanks!
__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:25 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDo View Post
The first repair I had to make when we bought our 1997 32' Allure.( in 2010)
Mine was somewhat working but usually had to give it a hand when opening. I sent the whole actuator in to be rebuilt, to the manufacturer near the CC facility, cost was around $300 .
I can probably find a phone # for you if your interested. (let me know)

BTW , as I remember it had one bolt that attached it to the slide, had to go underneath and reach above the Air Conditioner coils to get to it. Then the whole thing came out thru the bay in front of the DS front axle.
****************************
Hi and thanks for the tip. I called CC and they said that I could pull out the whole unit and send it in. But they way he described it, I was left with an impression that was much more difficult than you describe. So, if I may take that route. Thank you for the info!
__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
deandec's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,865
Update of Step Cover Actuator Failure

As mentioned earlier, I pulled the motor out of the linear actuator shown in the OP's original post photo.

I cut the black and red motor lead wires and later on wired them to a car battery. The motor shaft spun fine with that test.

I also pushed the step cover in to a full retracted position. It slid smoothly but now cannot be pulled back out into a use position.

I found the wire 258 from fuse to the step cover dash switch. It is functioning fine at the bottom of my most inboard row of chassis fuses.

Then I attempted to test the black and red wires hanging in the basement by rewiring them to the motor and using the dash switch to see if the motor shaft would turn using coach battery power but not installed in the actuator

It did not turn.

So I have power to the switch and the motor shaft turns with good 12v power. But either the limit switch, dash switch, or wire runs (385,386,387,388) are not working.

Will report back later.....after I figure out how to test each with a meter.
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
deandec's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,865
Here is an interesting You Tube video of installing switch wiring to a linear actuator similar to the one we are working on.



The DPDT switch in the video appears to be the same as the one in my dash except that my dash switch is a momentary rocker switch.

The narrator indicates that the limit switches are inside the actuator in his unit.

I now know that I can buy a 24" actuator on Amazon for about $175 to replace rather than rebuild the $300 estimated rebuild project actuator installed in my rig.

But first I need to determine what is really wrong with my actuator wiring.

So the foray continues at slow pace. I am old and slow working in a weird access situation with very little technical knowledge.

Hope I am not too far afield for the OP's purpose....
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Here is an interesting You Tube video of installing switch wiring to a linear actuator similar to the one we are working on.







The DPDT switch in the video appears to be the same as the one in my dash except that my dash switch is a momentary rocker switch.



The narrator indicates that the limit switches are inside the actuator in his unit.



I now know that I can buy a 24" actuator on Amazon for about $175 to replace rather than rebuild the $300 estimated rebuild project actuator installed in my rig.



But first I need to determine what is really wrong with my actuator wiring.



So the foray continues at slow pace. I am old and slow working in a weird access situation with very little technical knowledge.



Hope I am not too far afield for the OP's purpose....


***************************

OP here. I just wanted you to know that I really appreciate your slow and methodical process of elimination and research.

It’s been very helpful to me as we work to diagnose our stair cover slide issue as well. We confirmed today that it is our motor/actuator as well.

So will keep following. Thank you for the help and for sharing your insights!!

All the best
Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim
1999 CC Allure 36’ w/350 Cummins 8.3 ISC #30401
Memphis, TN
GoHorseyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1999, air, cover


« Headlight | ABS »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior stair well slide cover windsorbill Monaco Owner's Forum 25 02-22-2018 01:24 PM
06 Diplomat stair well cover non-op ArmyEOD Monaco Owner's Forum 4 03-12-2014 02:11 PM
Stair Well Cover mrnoyb RV'ing with Pets 2 01-29-2014 04:14 PM
Stair well cover Wyatt53 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 06-18-2012 04:55 PM
Well, well, well .. I have mices. fredaevans Class A Motorhome Discussions 8 06-17-2012 09:57 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.