Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Steer tires all around

I am in need of tires, we don't do alot of miles. tire dealer recommends steer tires all around due to VERY low mileage. Is this good advice? I do contract work and the future for work is good and my new tires will (age out) before any mileage issues arize.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

I believe the buzzword I see when researching tires are 'all position'. IMO nothing wrong with that at all.

I also prefer Coach or Highway vs Regional tires. Though usually All Position Regionals will support RV duty well.

I also prefer higher Energy Efficient tires. One good site to use for comparison, is the Michelin Rolling Resistance Comparison site. (They do not show all tires, but quite a few...)

Rolling Resistance Comparison | Michelin Truck

Also IMO, tires are one of the most important safety items on any coach. The only the that will move you forward, steer or stop - are those little patches of rubber compound hitting the pavement. Buy the best quality tire you can find, and save money in other areas.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on doing your research,
Smitty

Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

My Dutchstar had XZA Michelin Steer tires all around when I bought it. I replaced them when the date codes showed 8 years with a new set of XZA+ Michelin Steers. I don't drive in Winter weather so steers work well. Less road noise for one thing.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Just replaced all 8 on my CC. Michelin XZA steer and went for a less expensive Hankook for the duels and tag. Saved a lot of money and didn't compromise safety. I called Country Coach to confirm recommended tire size and rating. Coach had wrong tire on the front. Highly recommend Michelin XZA for steer, expensive but worth the peace of mind.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My Dutchstar had XZA Michelin Steer tires all around when I bought it. I replaced them when the date codes showed 8 years with a new set of XZA+ Michelin Steers. I don't drive in Winter weather so steers work well. Less road noise for one thing.
Both our Dutch Stars had the same Michelins all the way around when purchased. On the '02 I went to larger Michelins on the front and the only made one tire in that size and they were steer tires anyway.
The Magna is all Michelin but two different sizes and they are the same model/size for the front and tag, with the drive being different.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

I may be pointing out the obvious but if your coach requires the big 315/80's on the front and you decide to match them up all around make sure you have enough clearance between the rear duels.

Even if they fit, too little space between the duels increases heat. On my coach they fit but the tire shop suggested staying with the 12r's on the rear because the side wall on the 315's is much larger and will take up too much of the gap if a low pressure situation or extra load comes about.

I stuck with the manufactures requirements. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

I am getting ready to replace the 6 tires on our Allure 36'. Currently it has Bridgestones R-260's 295/75R/22.5. Now i read this stuff on steer and drivers. Can anyone without going into a ton of technical talk explain the difference on the two. In looking at what i have on the coach now they all seem to be the same.

Thanks,
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 186,000 and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

Also beware, your supplier may try to put cheaper tires on to save you and him both some money, I told my supplier to replace with same type tire but he ordered 12 ply not the 14 ply required. I am glade I caught the error before I started down the road. How odd it took a week to order the tires he was to install, but when I told him to put the 14ply's on instead it only took a couple of hours to get the replacements here local. It took about 50 mile before those bags of balance shot got where the needed to be. I want to thank all that commented in this post. Have a great summer out there.

Tags
tires