Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Steering, keeping it between the lines

I just purchased a 2006 Inspire 360 with 10,000 miles and have noticed that it wanders in the lane. I have to continually correct the steering. Is this normal and if not is there a fix? Please help. I have a 5600 mile trip coming up and if I can correct it I will.

Brian, Shelley and our girls.

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360
btritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja

I'm not sure if I can be much help but I have an 05 Inspire and sometimes experience similar wandering but I have thought it was because of the ruts that have been cut into the pavement by all the studded tires and she was just trying to find the sweet spot.
05 Inspire

08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would help us help you if we knew what chassis you have. You should fill out your sgnature in the profile section with make, model, chassis etc.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Originally Posted by btritch View Post
I just purchased a 2006 Inspire 360 with 10,000 miles and have noticed that it wanders in the lane. I have to continually correct the steering. Is this normal and if not is there a fix? Please help. I have a 5600 mile trip coming up and if I can correct it I will.
I have a friend who had the same coach and I am sorry to say never found a cure for the problem. I have heard that a top notch alignment shop may be able to solve the problem.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without knowing which chassis you have, it is ahrd to make suggestions. Some chassis need to have a panhard rod added, others a track bar and others need heavier anti-roll bars. Most will benefit from better shocks, Bilstein or Koni.

The first place to start with driving issues is to load the coach for a trip and get it weighed. Air up the tires based on you load requirements and see if that helps. Next step is a front end alignment.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Country Coach Chassis

Country Coach makes their own chassis. It is the DynoMax chassis. The front has independent suspension. There is no front axle. Which I understand makes this issue more difficult.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
btritch, I am sure that you have weighed the coach and have the tire pressures set to the tire manufacturer's pressure chart for your model tires. What coach did you have previously? How many miles have you now driven the Inspire? I can remember that when I first drove our Spartan chassis I was over correcting for a leaning condition and had to learn not to correct the steering; to hold the wheel straight when the wind blew or road crested. Once I did this it stayed straight in the road.
You could have the front end checked to be sure alignment and shocks are not an issue. Any one else have any ideas?
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
I also have an 06 Inspire. I don't think there is anything wrong with your coach.

If you think you must, you can check the alignment yourself by measuring across the front of the tires and then measure the same location on the back side. The tow-in should only be about 1/16 of an inch.

The Inspire has a very sharp wheel cut so as an added note, over time, you will see a lot of tire wear on the outside of your front tires. Don't worry. Its' the tires not the alignment. You can cut down on it by trying to avoid turning the wheel sharply until after the coach is rolling.

After you have driven the coach you will settle in and let it run. The initial tendancy is to stear it for every wind gust, dip in the pavement, etc. Its' big and its' going to move around.

Look down the road and let your periferal vision keep you in the lane.

A trick you may try is to place some kind of small sticker on your windshield.

1) On the up-down axis, place it just above your line-of-sight over the dash.
2) On the left-right axis place it so it lines up on top of the painted stripe on the left side of the driving lane when the coach is centered in the lane. You will have to move it several times until you get it where you want.

Now when you drive keep the sticker running down the stripe you will be centered in your lane and since you are now sighting down the lane rather than right in front of you, you will stay straight.

If you are heading out West, watch the wind !

Good Luck
Daytona Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
Sorry if you are seeing wear on the outside of your tires it is the alignment. It is not so easy to check the alignment with a ruler. My friend who had the 06 Inspire traded for a Newmar with comfort steer.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
as others have said you definitely need to 1) make sure that it is aligned -- try a heavy durty truck shop; 2) your tire pressures are correct -- after weighing you may end up reducing some tire rpessure; 3) have the shop check your ride height; 4) if you are considerably underloaded then store more cargo in the front bays.

We have an 06 Allure and have never had a problem. We did see a noticable improvement after adjusting tire pressures based upon corner weights.

The CC chassis is (IMHO) the best for handling short of a bus conversion. Handling was one of the top reasons for us selecting a CC.
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
I assume you have driven other MHs before? I only ask because compared to an auto, MHs handle terribly. But that being said, Country Coach should handle as good as any other coach and in fact, during my test drives, i think on par with a Prevost chassis (Prevost have more suspension to them making them a smoother ride for the passenger, but the wander effects are similar).

So if you know your coach handles bad, go to henderson's line-up in grants pass, OR. these guys are the experts. Make a trip that passes by OR if you are not near them. Call them up and let them know about your problem. I would not mess with the air suspension, but their alignment shop is magical and you can add on their various stabilizer products if you need to.

You could also arrange an appointment with the factory (when they reopen) they have (had) an alignment expert. let him know what you want done and they can fix it right up for you
scabello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Country Coach Owners Club
Henderson's Line Up would by my choice over the factory. The techs there really take care with their work.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things that conspire to cause "Wander"

Alignment: Most rigs are NOT factory aligned and even if they are it can change when you load 'em down

2: Tire pressure.. I fear to say most Motor Home tires are NOT properly inflated, Proper inflation depends on the weight that tire is carrying. and two pressures that are all but guaranteed to be wrong are 1: The number on the sticker inside the rig (It might be proper if the rig is empty, no cargo only the driver) and 2: the pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire (Which by the way is proper if you read the ENTIRE line.. Maxumim load of xx,xxx pounds at Max Pressure of YYY PSI

Most folks only read "Max Pressure" part

Next we have the conditon of the suspension.

Now add in the load of the rig,, Some rigs are very heavy on one, or the other side

Once that's done we can address engineering shortcomings in the rig

Three products that often help and what they control:

If the rig's a rockign, don't come knocking.. Ok, that has nothing to do with driving, though you might be driving home a point.. Er, let's just drop this..

But Rocking side to side (Tilt left, tilt right) is called "Sway" and though you likely do have some sway control on your chassis now, You can get additional "Sway Bars" to bolt on down below and this will help to keep the rig straight up and down (Assuming your are on level ground) or at least perpendicular to the ground. You as the drive may think sway is a change in direction and compensate.

The next is Wagging, On some motor homes there is a lot of "overhang" behind the rear axle, the result is that the cabin can move right or left over the axle, This is also seen as a change of direction by the driver because,, Well the rig does indeed point a bit to the right or left OF THE DIRECTION OF TRAVEL! Note that the coach is going straight down the road, but the "house" is pointed off to the side.

A Trac Bar or Pan-Hard bar (you can use two, one front and one rear) controls this and locks the cabin/cockpit/house squarly over the axle. Makes it easier to drive.

Finally you can get a steering stabilizer, this does it's best to keep the wheels pointed straight ahead.. I choose the Blue-Ox True center, The reason.. Well, if I'm on level road on a clear day then center is where I want it,, but what if I'm on a high-crested road (The road slants more strongly than normal to the right) or what if there is a constant cross wind.. I've driven in both conditions, now I need to counter steer just a bit and most of the Steering Stablizers. to re-center you need a wrench and a hammer.. On the blue-Ox unit all I need is a finger, on a button in the cockpit.

How much difference can these devices make?

ON Jan 2, 2006 I hooked up, found out the "Towed tail light" wire on the coach was bad, and towed my Lumina from Detroit to Las Vegas. (I worked around the broken wire, the US gear brake system I have charges the battery so I hit the parking light switch) Man was it a relief to park the coach and drive the Lumina...

Well I returned home (1-Mar-2006) and over the summer put on a front trac-bar and the True-Center.

Thanksgiving Tuesday I headed back to Las Vegas

Man was that Lumina hard to drive.

Same Lumina, Same Motor Home, Same driver

So what changed? The trac bar and the steering stablizer.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business.
2005 Damon Intruder 377W Radio Active as WA8YXM
John-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
RV Wizard: I will admit that I don't have very many miles on this coach, which maybe the problem. But this is not my first coach. I have thousands of miles drive time behind the wheel BUT that one was a spring suspension gas coach. The difference in the ride between the two cannot be compared. I have almost no rattles in my CC but our last one (Winnebago Adventurer) was full of them. I will have the ride height valve checked and weigh it and adjust the tire pressure and report back.