Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

steering problem

I have a 2007Country Coach Inspire 40' with 5200 miles on it and it wanders out on the open road.It seems to have about 2" of play in the steering wheel left to right. It takes any little groove and follows it. Is this common for the Country Coach? I bought it new with about 1200 miles on it so I am not thinking anything can be worn out but maybe out of line. The dealer I bought it from says that is typicial for these coaches.
Anybody agree?
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

no i don't agree.it sounds to me your toe in and out is towed out too much.are tires s tarting to show any kind of inside wear?
rdchevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

They don't drive like cars

I have what I consider a good steering 2002 Affinity. It does not track like a good car. But it drives well. Your steering sounds to me far far far worse than my wanting mine to drive like a Porsche. Generally speaking when a new coach like yours wanders the Castor is not right. Positive castor generally helps your wheels self center. But your comment about two inches of slop, something is not right. On my previous motor home (A GMC) there was an adjustment in the gearbox that would take out some of the play / slop. I don't know if the box on our coaches can do that. In addition you need to have checked the connections for all the steering arms, pinions, and so on.

But again. IMHO these buses do not track like a Porsche. To have something drive like a Porsche there is no substitute for the real thing. Or for that matter a newer Buick, Toyota, or Ford. All those vehicles do not have the "sail" area of a big box.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please have someone check to see if your steering box has an adjustment screw to adjust the freeplay in the steering wheel.

I struggled with exactly the same issue that you're having for almost two years. I paid two 'qualified' alignment shops really good money to go through everything, and still, ... it wandered ... exactly like you're talking about.

Finally, one day, I got at it myself, and realized that my steering box had an adjustment screw. By the time I was finished, the play in the steering wheel was gone, and my coach no longer wandered and tracked the ruts!

Then I installed a steering stabilizer and it helped a lot! So, I'm convinced, the most important thing is get rid of any free play in the steering box, and add a steering stabilizer.

I agree, a beast this size cannot be expected to handle like it's on rails. But, you shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with it to keep it between the lines, either.

Good luck!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

quake.

I agree with jimkate, adjust the "free play" on the steering box, the best way to do this is to lift the front wheels off the groung so you have no pressure against the wheels. The free play on the steering wheel should than be between 10:00 and 2:00 o clock. If you adjust it too tight your wheel will not return to the straight ahead position after you make a turn.

Make sure that you use jack stands before you crawl under the coach.

Henry.