Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Steering Pump Hose Failure

Coming north just south of Jacksonville, Florida as I exited I95 into the St Johns rest area, i felt the power steering fail and I checked my mirrors and saw a big cloud of white smoke coming from underneath the engine compartment. I was able to get the MH into a parking spot and shut down immediately. Took my fire extinguisher and went back to check to see if I had a fire, didn't so that was a positive. Saw that my Dexron II draining out under the engine compartment, couldn't see where the leak was located but suspected a hose. Called Coach Net, and they said it being Sunday that they wouldn't be able to tow me into a service center until Monday when they could locate someone who could work on it. They also told me that they could call around to see if they could locate a mobile service that could come out to the rest area and work it there, they would pay for the trip out but not the actual repair, they also said if they paid for that and the mobile service couldn't complete the repair then I would have to pay for my own tow on Monday, they would do one or the other but not both. They also told me that I might want to consider getting a mobile service out of my dime and then if the mobile service couldn't make the repair then call Coach Net back and they would tow me to a service center. I opted to call around for a mobile service, none could be found that could come out on Sunday so Monday morning I found one called MobiCare that said they could come out at 1pm, they finally showed up around 3:15pm. Determined the hose that had worn through due to being against the chassis. The tech spent about an hour diagnosing and removing the hose, an 8 foot hose and he took it to Pirtek, a hose fabricator, about 5 miles away and returned an hour later with the new hose. Took about another hour to install it and refill with ATF. They used Wolf's Head brand Synthetic ATF, said it was compatible with the Dexron II called for by my system.
They did get me on the road again but at great expense, almost $1500 to come out and replace the hose and refill the system with ATF.
My advise, check the condition of all your hoses before your trip, if at all possible.

2000 CC Intrigue

Ray Herron
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Good advice. Where is this hose located? I would like to double check before I use mine this summer.

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Good advice. Where is this hose located? I would like to double check before I use mine this summer.
It is located on passenger side connect to the bottom of the steering pump. Steering pump is on lower, passenger side of engine. You will see several hydraulic hoses connected the reservoir also on passenger side just inside engine compartment door.
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote