Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Stranded by electrical problem

Middle of night boondocking while running from hurricane. Lost all power suddenly. Gen quit a few minutes after all lights went out. Got a new alternator after detrrminating old one was bad. Still have problem. Lost all power again while running generator. Gen apparently not charging house batteries. That doesn't seem right to me. 97 Allure. Where should I look to find out how to charge batteries from genset? Local mechanic suspects GFI in bedroom a possible problem. Replaced it but no change. Su.
Summary...generator running off batteries till it drains them and all goes dead
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You most likely only have two ways to charge your batteries; The alternator or the converter. You could have an Inverter/charger in stead of the converter but it would still be doing the same thing.

When plugged in or running the generator the converter needs to be working for the batteries to be charging. Some converters have a reset button.
Do you know if all of your 120VAC outlets are working? If not, than the GFCI could be that cause. (as mentioned by mechanic)
While troubleshooting you could use a stand alone car battery charger to keep the batteries charged. (plugged into the generator or an outlet)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

Is the generator working ? Start by checking the 120 volt outlets or running the A/C unit. You could plug into shore power and see if that works for charging the batteries. Check the AC breaker for the converter/ inverter depending on what you have. There could be a DC breaker on the converter as well.
If its not the breakers, you will have to measure the AC voltage on the input to the converter . Should be 110 to 120 volts. Next check the DC output of the converter. Should be above 13 volts DC.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

I have a '99 Allure. Look above the batteries and remove the plate, 6 screws or just remove the small plate to see inside. In there is the Freedom 20 inverter/converter. See if the breakers are tripped. If so reset them and check system. If they are not tripped the problem may be the two small fuses inside the Freedom 20. you can find those at a local electronics store.

If you have a volt /ohm meter check the house batts while the genset is running. Should be upwards of 14 volts depending on the current charge.

Hope this helps...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #5

Can't find a converter in #ystem. Have a heart stand alone inverterr. We are stuck out in boonies. No gas for toad anywhere. Mobil mechanic comes when available but he's terribly busy. Have an external charger coming ng off ac outlet to .batteries now but we still lost all power with that setup last night. Switched one house battery to coach batter. Mechanic just showed up. Says this genset not set up to charge house batteries. Says if we need to overnight should run engine every few hours. Seems strange. Roads jammed everywhere. Many sleeping in cars. We can get in an RV park and plug in tonight at least. Most parks booked full. Living Hell here
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Your Heart system is what is used to charge the batteries whether you are plugged in or using the genset. If the batteries weren't charging while running the generator there's a good change they won't get charged while plugged in until you find out why.

Sorry about what you're having to go through. I'm glad you're safe and although it may not seem like it ...... this is only temporary.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club

The mobile mechanic's explanation doesn't add up. If the generator isn't set up to charge the house batteries then a previous owner monkeyed with something or the transfer switch is faulty. That's not how Country Coach designed the electrical system on these coaches. Ask the mechanic to check the transfer switch.

Also, your generator doesn't run off the house batteries, but it does need charged house batteries to start it.

If the generator shuts down, meaning the engine quits, it's due to overheating, or fuel quality. It won't quit due to any electrical problems downstream.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Also, don't forget to check the breaker/s located on the genset itself. If these are tripped you won't get AC power from the generator even though the generator will run. If you have a multimeter check to make sure the alternator on the generator is working. If not, the gen will start on battery power and continue to operate until the batteries are depleted. I'm thinking if your generator alternator is bad and the breakers located on the generator are tripped it could cause the condition you are describing. My setup is a little different in that my generator has its own group 27 battery to starting purposes.

You probably already did but be sure to check all beakers in the AC panel as well as the DC panel. My AC panel is in the bedroom and my DC panel is the basement electrical compartment. Sometimes tripped breakers don't appear tripped unless you wiggle or reset them.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

Your generator is working when running, otherwise you wouldn't be running it. Make sure, if it has 2 breakes, both are on.

With your seperate charger, make sure you hook it to the battery that is dieing and it is plugged into an outlet that has power.

The battery that starts the generator is the same battery that supplies power to keep it running.

Your charger should be at least 10 to 15 amp charger, not a trickle charger. Even with that, you will need to conserve 12 volt usage. A 40 amp charger will be better.

Once this is over, you can find a good mechanic who knows motorhomes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #10

On the genset shutting down it is most likely due to recirculated hot air entering the unit. When you are stationary the hot air from the gen set exhausts directly down and is then sucked up by the cold air supply. Try sliding a piece of cardboard in between the the hot exhaust and the cold air intake to prevent the two from mixing.

Happens to mine when I'm sitting so I have cut a piece of wood to slide in between when we are boon docking and that cured that problem.

Good Luck...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
On the genset shutting down it is most likely due to recirculated hot air entering the unit. When you are stationary the hot air from the gen set exhausts directly down and is then sucked up by the cold air supply. Try sliding a piece of cardboard in between the the hot exhaust and the cold air intake to prevent the two from mixing.

Happens to mine when I'm sitting so I have cut a piece of wood to slide in between when we are boon docking and that cured that problem.

Good Luck...
Generator engines need electricity to run.

With many of them there is no charging system built into them.

In that case, the battery is running down until it can't supply enough power to run the ignition and safety systems.

They depend on the converter or inverter/charger to supply that power. That needs to be working and connected to the same battery that is powering the generator engine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Community Moderator

there are 3 major blocks to check -

1) generator outputs 120v? when it is running, do the wall outlets inside your coach have power?
they should have. if not, check a) the breakers on the genset, b) the voltage regulator inside the genset. latter is prone to failure. about $220 for part.

2) master ats - it's located in the upper right corner behind the breaker panel when you stand in front of and facing the bed. accessible from the adjacent cabinet (there is a side window there). a failed master ats may not deliver the correct source to the inverter.

3) freedom 20d - check the breakers on the top of inverter face panel. you can easily identify if 120v arrives in and/or about 13.6v outputs in the lower section of the panel. remove the cover you will see all the connectors. use correct volt meters to probe.

a generic mechanic may not be competent enough on this kind of issue. an experienced rv mechanic is desired.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

I assume you have diesel generator. It does not require electricity to run once its engine is started.

It would help us help you if you could give the year and model of your rig or generator.

I currently have your generator problem, but in a much safer environment.

Use a voltmeter to check the voltage at the backside of your generator mounted breakers. It needs to be 120vac with the generator running.

You could also take a volt reading at the automatic transfer switch terminals when the generator is running (and not hooked up to shore power) with a volt meter tester or multimeter.

If 120 vac, then the generation portion of your generator is working.

Your problem then is with the automatic transfer switch, your battery charger (inverter), or your coach breakers.

If not 120VAC at the breaker then you may have an automatic voltage regulator problem or a rotor and brushes problem in the generation end of the generator. This is a more difficult resolution in the short term.

FWIW, my generator starts and runs fine but only produces 74vac. I have yet to discover the source of the problem. Therefore, I hope your problem is at the ats, the battery charger, or breakers.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
....FWIW, my generator starts and runs fine but only produces 74vac. I have yet to discover the source of the problem. Therefore, I hope your problem is at the ats, the battery charger, or breakers.
I'm pretty sure the OP said his generator runs fine until the battery dies.

It sounds like you have a bad voltage regulator (likely). Can you manually cause the engine to rev higher and cause a higher output?

Tags
electric, electrical