Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

Stuck Fuel Gauge

I noticed my fuel gauge was at 5/8 of a tank before a trip south, so I went to top it off but it would barely take 3 gallons! So I determined that I topped it off after my last trip and my gauge is stuck there now Anybody have a quick and easy fix or do I have to start counting my miles and do the math

RJPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Maybe the float is stuck, bound up? If you need to replace and your access is the same as my 2000 Allure, I have some advice.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

Leave it stuck, as you'll get much better MPG if you never need to add fuel!

(Sorry, wife is not here to control my bad jokes!).

Real constructive input already provided...

Best of luck on it,
Smitty
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Don't panic , as the fuel gets down in the tank the sloshing may free it up .

If this was my problem I'd have to forget repairing it , tank supports are welded in place.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

There is no float in your tank. What you have is a resistance sensor rod made by Centroid. I replaced one in a 2004 Allure. The replacement was less than $100 and took me about an hour to do. No special tools or skills required.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander1 View Post
There is no float in your tank. What you have is a resistance sensor rod made by Centroid. I replaced one in a 2004 Allure. The replacement was less than $100 and took me about an hour to do. No special tools or skills required.
George, I would assume it's on the top of the tank, but since I'm not near the coach, where would I find it and is there easy access to it? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

RJ, I will tell you about mine which, I think, is the same as yours.

My '04 Allure had easy access to the passenger side top of the tank. That access was through a factory provided opening in the front wall of the front bay on the passenger side. Removal of a dozen or so screws from the panel opened the wall.

The sensor device is a metal rod attached to a tank cap with wires attached. The cap screws off and lifts vertically from the tank. Mine had plenty of head room and I expect that yours will be the same.

You can order the replacement sensor directly from Centroid based on the length of the sensor and the number of wires. They will also provide a formula to determine if you have adequate headroom to remove the sensor without dropping the tank.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Thanks George, I'll take a look first chance I get!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

From a quick peek, looks like I may have to drop the tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04Intrigue.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	137674  
Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
RJPerry and gsander1, I also would be interested in cause and solution for this. Earlier this year, my gauge was/is stuck on 3/4 even after filling and I've filled it @ 5 times this summer. Mine is an 04 Allure, 36', #30997. What are your coach numbers?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barclay7568 View Post
RJPerry and gsander1, I also would be interested in cause and solution for this. Earlier this year, my gauge was/is stuck on 3/4 even after filling and I've filled it @ 5 times this summer. Mine is an 04 Allure, 36', #30997. What are your coach numbers?
I have my coach number in my phone as 11761, that sound right?

Fixing the gauge issue is on the back burner for me right now and dropping the tank to replace the sensor isn't on my list of fun things to do either
Old 09-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

Barclay, the coach that required sensor replacement was '04 Allure 33' Seaside 31038. I don't know the cause but, on my coach, the solution was easy and inexpensive. It took about an hour to r and r the sensor.

I'm disappointed that RJs tank situation is different from mine.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPerry View Post
From a quick peek, looks like I may have to drop the tank
Not sure if you have the same space that I did on my 2000 allure, but I was able to reach in there and remove the 5 screws that held the sending unit in place. It was very tight and even painful at times, but I didn't have to lower my tank.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

Cool Stuck/Sticky fuel gauge

Related issue, I think:
I took our new-to-us '08 Allure down to the Columbia River for a few nights, shaking things out. It's 200 miles from home and our Silverleaf says this Coach gets right about 7 mpg. We had 1/2+ of our 135 Gal tank on the gauge so I figured I had PLENTY. By the time I got there I was well under 1/8, wandering down to virtually Empty on downhills. Guess the sensor is in the aft part of the tank? So I went on panic mode and put in 10 gal at the very remote and very expensive local station to get me the 30 miles to more reasonable prices. Put in 40 Gal there before heading home to our local COSTCO (BLESS YOU COSTCO for adding Diesel to your line-up)! When we hit Costco I "topped her up" with 67 Gallons. The gauge reads full now, but something's way wrong! If I had 1/8 to start home, that's about 17 gal on board. I added 10+40+67 = 117 Gal, so my TOTAL fuel should be 117+17 = 134 - a very full tank. But I drove 200 miles that day, so should have used about 30 Gal. This tank CANNOT be full! Is it typical that these gauges are that far off the money? I guess I'm going to have to start a fuel log and do this by dead reckoning!

Don Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel