Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Stuck on the side of the interstate in the rain

Stuck on the side of the interstate in the rain. We are on our way to Colorado for vacation with the kids and we got the engine warning and dreaded “stop engine “ light then it kills. I checked the engine oil, water is full and it’s not over heating. It’s my understanding that this will only happen for one of the aforementioned things. Called all over and had a friend drive all day yesterday to bring me a low coolant sensor because it is a four wire and I didn’t know how to bypass it. That didn’t fix the problem. We limped to the nearest exit ramp by restarting numerous times. I’m waiting on a tow truck to bring me to Camping World in Bossier City of all places. It’s a 2000 Country Coach Intrigue if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. We left home Monday morning for a vacation we have been promising our poor children for years and it’s Thursday and we are broke down in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, and the vacation is halfway over. Would appreciate any advice or ideas
Msitework is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would call cummins support: 1 (800) 286-6467 at a minimum...
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Engine limp mode can be caused by many different engine parameters out of range. Narrowing it down and identifying a focused solution does require a competent diesel shop mechanic with good engine ECM code reader. The mechanic does require some smarts to connect the dots to engine code (if set) and mechanical condition of engine/sensors and current engine symptoms.

Other simple solution are fuel filters - last time changed?

Hopefully someone with local area knowledge or referral to a good shop/mechanic will answer in this post.

I agree - at minimum a call to Cummins support - if you have a Cummins...
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

One idea. Don’t go to camping world. There is a Cummins shop off 220 just North of Bossier City.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Hope it's a simple fix. I guess a code reader will be on your Christmas wish list.
Good luck and Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
One idea. Don’t go to camping world. There is a Cummins shop off 220 just North of Bossier City.
Cummins Sales and Service
4.3 Miles from bossier city
4714 Viking Dr
Bossier City, LA 71111-7419
Open Now | 318-742-4095
Open today from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

I appreciate it, already called in to change the location to tow it and was told they can’t find a truck to tow this vehicle. This is getting ridiculous, I’m on hold with Cummins but it doesn’t look like they have a tech available to send to me. Can’t find anyone to tow it to them, guess I’m supposed to abandon it here on the interstate.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

As others have said call Cummins. They know that engine best and will have the tools and parts to get it repaired quickly. If it seemed to be running ok before the lights came on I'm guessing a sensor is or has gone south on you. Problem is which one. The ISC you have in that coach is a strong one. I've got over 186k without any major problems.

Wish you luck...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msitework View Post
I appreciate it, already called in to change the location to tow it and was told they can’t find a truck to tow this vehicle. This is getting ridiculous, I’m on hold with Cummins but it doesn’t look like they have a tech available to send to me. Can’t find anyone to tow it to them, guess I’m supposed to abandon it here on the interstate.
They may be able to recommend a mobile tech if they cannot service you on your time frame (emergency lol).

Yellow pages link to mobile truck repairs service in Shreveport.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

I was just informed by the nice manager at the Cummins service center that they don’t work on RV’s at that location.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

Stuck on the side of the interstate in the rain

Maybe try these:
United Engines 318-635-8022. West side Shreveport
Lone Star Truck. (318) 938-9955. West side Shreveport
Lewis Tire and Truck repair (318) 377-0359. In Minden East of Bossier City. Looks like they have roadside service. Tell them to bring their code reader.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having experienced exact same situation, as others have advised, take it to Cummins, they will know how to diagnose the problem and fix it. You will cry when you get the bill, but at least you will have competent mechanics looking at your rig.

Also, do not be shocked at Cummins when they tell you they can't even look at your rig for 2 weeks. Cummins guy explained how they had more work than they could keep up with and a limited amount of MH technicians. Cummins also explained they make a lot more money fixing trucks than they do MH's.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Maybe try these:
United Engines 318-635-8022. West side Shreveport
Lone Star Truck. (318) 938-9955. West side Shreveport
Lewis Tire and Truck repair (318) 377-0359. In Minden East of Bossier City. Looks like they have roadside service. Tell them to bring their code reader.
Friend of mine always had his diesel pusher serviced at Lone Star Truck listed above.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #14

Does your Insurance Policy provide towing?

If so, they should be able to source a capable tow truck or maybe a mobile mechanic.

We have found that a Coach Net towing membership is very economical and resource capable service (as a future resource for you.)

Does your rig have an Engine Protection Management override switch somewhere. Ours is mounted on the left driver floorboard.

Have you tried disconnecting the Chassis Battery negative cable for several minutes and then cause a reboot by reconnecting the battery? That might turn off the warning light and reboot the EPM.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote