Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Sub Zero Camping?

Has anyone camped in their Country Coach up north for the winter in extended Sub-Zero temperatures? As as cold as minus 20 or 30 Fahrenheit at times. If so I would like to know what modifications you needed to do, etc. I mean plugged into 50 amp service and water of course.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I spent a week when it was 4 at night and 14 daytime. It was not fun.

If there is snow, pull the slides in to keep the melt run off from the roof from freezing on the toppers. Keeping the slides in will reduce the area you have to heat. A lot of heat is lost around the seals and the short sides of the slides

Fill your water tank every day or two and take the hose in. It is harder to freeze 100 gallons than 20-30. Don't keep your sewer hose out as it will freeze also.

Put extra heating in your water/sewer bay near the water pump to keep everything from freezing. I used a 100 watt light bulb and a small space heater.

Keep your diesel tank full if you have a Hydrohot unit, use a product to keep algae from growing.

Park the coach so that the sides receive maximum sun shine during the day.

You will probably have a problem with condensation and you will have to deal with that. Either buy a small dehumidifier or learn how to modulate window and vent openings at both ends of the coach. You have to move air to prevent condensation.

Buy a nice comforter, get flannel sheets for the bed, buy a pair of long johns,
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

-20 or -30 F ; you aren't camping you're trying to survive .
If you have a propane furnace , you have to insulate and warm the tank ,( and keep it over 1/2 full ) because you are very close to the temp where propane will no longer vaporize .
At -40 you can carry propane in an open bucket .
Old 10-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #4

I was in-15 at night up to about 5 during the day for about 2 days by accident. With two electric heaters, the floor heat, and the hydronic diesel heat coming on at times I was over 70 degrees upstairs and quite comfortable, although I do seem to remember the door got frozen shut I think from condensation and I have to smash it with my shoulder to get out. A dehumidifier would be key. With the hurricane heating the Water Bay and a 200 watt personal electric heater also running down there, something froze up the entire water system after 2 days, the roads cleared somewhat of snow and I got the hell out of there. I never figured out exactly what be froze. The real weak link is lack of active fan driven hydronic heaters in the water bay as I have upstairs. On my Magna at least, they are just in line convection radiators in the water bays.

Rich 2002 Magna
Old 10-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I was in-15 at night up to about 5 during the day for about 2 days by accident. With two electric heaters, the floor heat, and the hydronic diesel heat coming on at times I was over 70 degrees upstairs and quite comfortable, although I do seem to remember the door got frozen shut I think from condensation and I have to smash it with my shoulder to get out. A dehumidifier would be key. With the hurricane heating the Water Bay and a 200 watt personal electric heater also running down there, something froze up the entire water system after 2 days, the roads cleared somewhat of snow and I got the hell out of there. I never figured out exactly what be froze. The real weak link is lack of active fan driven hydronic heaters in the water bay as I have upstairs. On my Magna at least, they are just in line convection radiators in the water bays.

Rich 2002 Magna
If you have already experienced -15 and had issues WHY would you consider giving -20/-30 temps a go at it

Spent 4 weeks in -19*F temps, snow.ice....stayed warm/toasty BUT went thru propane like a running nose..constantly having to get one 30# cylinder filled every other day
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Country Coaches are built well and we all brag, at times, about how comfortable they keep us in hot and cold weather. However, I would not expect to do what you plan and not have problems. The cold is an issue but add snow and/or ice accumulation on the coach and it just gets more complicated.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
If you have already experienced -15 and had issues WHY would you consider giving -20/-30 temps a go at it

Spent 4 weeks in -19*F temps, snow.ice....stayed warm/toasty BUT went thru propane like a running nose..constantly having to get one 30# cylinder filled every other day
Because I might have to this time. That was minus 15 without modifications to the coach to deal with it. Are you saying you camped in - 19 with no mods and no problems other than having to buy a lot of propane? Nothing froze up in your water system?

Tags
camping