Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Suggestions for Tires and Extended Service Plans for 2006 Country Coach Inspire?

Hoping to hear from those of you who want to share. We will need 6 new tires for the 2006 Country Coach Inspire Siena (36'). I have been reading that the Michelin XZE2 tires may be a good choice. Thoughts?

Also, anyone care to weigh in on extended service plans? We have had Good Sam in the past with our fifth wheels, but never really had to use them except for tire change issues. They were OK. I have read that Xtraride has been well thought of, but now it appears to cost an arm and a leg and is no easier to work with than any other. Suggestions?
2lovelydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

In 2013 I got a new set of Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZA2 and went through the FMCA program, my cost $4200 mounted and balanced by Superior Tire Service in Portland. My warranty is Bank of America Credit Card.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

I just took off our first set of new tires to us on our 04 Allure. They were 12R 22.5 XZE*'s. I found them to be a very robust tire, and always felt they gave me an extra safety edge in regards to some of the nasty pot hole freeways!

That being said, the extra robustness of the thicker sidewalls - did come with a cost in ride quality. The rough roads did transfer up and into the coach, especially on the front.

I went ahead and replaced 6 of my 8 tires (Two were damaged last year, and replaced while traveling during the tire shortage of 2015 with BF Goodrich ST230's. These were moved to the tag position.) The 6 new tires are the mentioned Michelin XZA2 tires, with a change to 295/80 22.5, with the same load range ratings.

The XZA2's are more energy efficient via less rolling resistance, and the ride is better then the 12R's XZE*'s. Pleased with them.

I'll also share that many people with similar size and weight 40' coaches as ours, report liking the Hankook AH12, including the lower price. I feel they're also a solid option.

I elected to self insure, so no input on warranty.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #4

For tires I would look at Hankook.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I like Michelin tires and the FMCA program and used them on a prior coach. I bought my current coach with Bridgestone tires already on it and I like the ride and feel of them, as well. When it comes time to replace them, I'll consider Bridgestone.

I looked into a warranty program and opted to forego that expense. Some people will be swear by a warranty program, others will not. To each their own.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

I would rate Xtraride a 10 out of 10. We had them for 3 years and we were very happy with their service.

As far as tires, everyone has an opinion on them. My latest 4 tires have all been Michelin through the FMCA program. I think they are very good tires and very expensive. But if you have the money Michelin or Goodyear are the only tires companies that have actually built tires specifically for the RVs we drive. I have had very good luck with Michelin and Goodyear. Goodyear also owns Dunlop and they build tires here in the USA and I have had good luck with them. I still have 4 drive tires on my Country Coach that are Firestones about 4 years old. Also made in the USA. The secondary names are usually about 28% cheaper in my experience.

I only buy RV tires made in the USA. 1. I want my kids to have work not some Korean or China kids. 2. The USA is where nearly all the big RVs are and I think we know how to build tires for this type of vehicle better than places like Korea. How many bus type RVs do you think there are in Korea, 2? Hankook is made in Korea. I am sure they make very good tires for cars as they have lots of cars there. But no RVs.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I would rate Xtraride a 10 out of 10. We had them for 3 years and we were very happy with their service.

As far as tires, everyone has an opinion on them. My latest 4 tires have all been Michelin through the FMCA program. I think they are very good tires and very expensive. But if you have the money Michelin or Goodyear are the only tires companies that have actually built tires specifically for the RVs we drive. I have had very good luck with Michelin and Goodyear. Goodyear also owns Dunlop and they build tires here in the USA and I have had good luck with them. I still have 4 drive tires on my Country Coach that are Firestones about 4 years old. Also made in the USA. The secondary names are usually about 28% cheaper in my experience.

I only buy RV tires made in the USA. 1. I want my kids to have work not some Korean or China kids. 2. The USA is where nearly all the big RVs are and I think we know how to build tires for this type of vehicle better than places like Korea. How many bus type RVs do you think there are in Korea, 2? Hankook is made in Korea. I am sure they make very good tires for cars as they have lots of cars there. But no RVs.
Let's see Michelin zipper blow outs and Goodyear riving
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't had a MH that didn't have Michelins on it and I've never even had a flat, let alone a blowout in 28 years that could be attributed to the tires. Even when the bead split on one wheel of our 1988 Okanagon. Broke two wheels before they replaced the steel chrome ones with Alcoa's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

Mike - I have heard of the two issues you talk about but have not had any of these problems on the tires I have owned.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

I have had good results with Xtra Ride for the extended warranty. I have Michelins on front, Toyo on back, all seem fine.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Our Allure has Michelin XZA2 Energy tires and they are fine. I had Goodyear G670's on a previous coach and had a problem with steer tire rivering in spite of proper inflation and alignment. I replaced the Goodyear with Hankook AH12's and was very pleased with them.

If I am blessed to be able to use my Allure long enough to need new tires, I will certainly look again at the Hankook's again.

We bought an extended service plan from Cornerstone for the Allure. We have been very pleased with their coverage and response. They have paid out more than we paid for the plan when we purchased it in 2013.

Tags
service, tires