Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Surge Guard Issue 50 amp.

Good Afternoon Members
My problem is, connected to shore power 50 amp our surge guard kicks out, when connected to 30 amp through the same surge guard everything is fine, can this unit be repaired by a local elec. or do you have to send it back to have it repaired. I fail to mention our surge guard is hard wired installed from Camping World in 2011. 06 CC inspire #51651 Geno. How many years should these things last?. Thanks in advance..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
TRC Surge Guards have a one year warranty from date of purchase. Progressive Industry surge guards have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

What do you mean "it kicks out"? Does it give you any fault code?

2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

It might be doing it's job? Has the pedestal been checked for proper wiring?
Old 06-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Mine was doing the same in Mission Tx this winter. CG insisted pedestal was okay so I told them I was moving. After they sent knowledgable people over they found out it was bad. The surge guard saved me. By the way the pedestal did not seem correct with my meter either.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeman View Post
How many years should these things last?. Thanks in advance..
Ours was installed in 2002 and still working.

Check the 50A pedestal power with a meter.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
TRC Surge Guards have a one year warranty from date of purchase. Progressive Industry surge guards have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

What do you mean "it kicks out"? Does it give you any fault code?
Sorry for the slang term, It trips the circuit and tries to reset itself, ours do not have a code read-out, ped check ok, both lines 1&2 124 volts all the way to the auto transfer, ( right now it's working fine) Thanks for the help
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

My Surge Guard also tripped when the connection to the motorhome and the 50A cord wiring needed repair.

Have you checked continuity on each wire in the cord and polished the connection terminals?

Been there, done that.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
My Surge Guard also tripped when the connection to the motorhome and the 50A cord wiring needed repair.

Have you checked continuity on each wire in the cord and polished the connection terminals?

Been there, done that.
That's a good tip. Easy to overlook periodic inspections and if needed repair of this lifeline to power...

I had words with an RV Repair Shops "Tech", when I saw him unplug out cord and toss it to the ground. (Not lay it down, or even just drop it from say 1 or 2' - he stood up and walked it back a bit, then tossed it out of his way...)

They're pretty solid, but usage can take a toll!

Best of luck to you on this one!
Smitty
Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

The Surge Guard checks for much more than just voltage. If there is a problem with the neutral or ground it will also trip. Since 30a and 50a are wired very differently it could be an intermittent neutral problem causing it to trip.

Barney
07 Inspire 52059

Quote:
Sorry for the slang term, It trips the circuit and tries to reset itself, ours do not have a code read-out, ped check ok, both lines 1&2 124 volts all the way to the auto transfer, ( right now it's working fine) Thanks for the help
Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
You can have 120VAC from each line to neutral, each line to ground, and even 240VAC from line to line, and all seem fine. BUT you could have had a hot neutral or ground, which wouldn't show up necessarily until you checked from netural to ground . . . sometimes. Electricity will flow in lots of places, almost too small to detect. So I wouldn't just assume you're surge protector is wrong. I'd assume it's right.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #11

So, speaking of Surge Guard, I need a 'bypass' key and will contact TRC next week, but in the mean time, anyone have any thoughts on getting one?

Anyone know if these are generic keys or specific with the unit SN?