Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Surge guard not acting right

Thank you for considering my question.
Our 2006 CC Inspire experienced a recent loss of connection between the generator and the coach somehow.

When not plugged in - the inverter works, the generator works (fires up) but the generator does not power the outlets or microwave anymore.

We don't want to use the inverter all the time when drydock, so how do I reset the surge guard so the generator power flows correctly again?

I've checked all the fuses I can, so I don't think it's a fuse. I also checked batteries, and they are all fine.

Thank you kindly,
Kelly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check the output side of your ATS when the generator is running. It's probably a relay inside that is sticking or has failed.

ATS = Auto Transfer Switch

Another thing to check is the CB on the generator itself.

CB = Circuit Breaker

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

Kelly,

First reset the breaker on the generator and give it a try. If that doesn't work you have a problem with the transfer switch not swapping over or a bad connection between the generator and transfer switch. The generator does not feed through the Surge Guard.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Another item to consider is the Intellitec Energy Management System if you have one. Recently, we've had an intermittent problem that when we start the generator, the EMS will come on then go off and we get no power transferred to the coach. The relays on the EMS will click off and on several times and (at least so far) it finally stays on. I spoke to my tech support guy (Butch Williams) and he said the Intellitec EMS is problematic and is basically unnecessary. He suggested disabling the EMS and doing your own load management (which is only really necessary when on 30 amp shore power).

My transfer switch and surge guard work fine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Another item to consider is the Intellitec Energy Management System if you have one. Recently, we've had an intermittent problem that when we start the generator, the EMS will come on then go off and we get no power transferred to the coach. The relays on the EMS will click off and on several times and (at least so far) it finally stays on. I spoke to my tech support guy (Butch Williams) and he said the Intellitec EMS is problematic and is basically unnecessary. He suggested disabling the EMS and doing your own load management (which is only really necessary when on 30 amp shore power).

My transfer switch and surge guard work fine.
Sounds like you need a new Intellitec EMS control board, unless you don't want to spend the money to replace it.

I had a flaky intermittent problem board for a couple of years when I would turn on a certain 12 VDC switch for my bathroom light. Whenever it decided to do it I would hear a relay click inside the board and mysteriously my Samsung Blu-Ray would turn on.

I replaced the board with a new one ($300) and it's been working just like new. I like the fact that when I am hooked to 30 amp shore power or less the EMS does the thinking and work for me.

That's the only problem I have had with the board in 13 years of service so I would not consider them to be problematic.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Also check the GFI plug in the coach. If it is tripped none of the other plugs will work
Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

My understanding from Intellitec is all the breakers are to be on and the board can be reset. We are having issues, which I believe are from being in areas of high heat for extended periods.

Wally & Elta Mae
2007Allure 470 #31535
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
My understanding from Intellitec is all the breakers are to be on and the board can be reset. We are having issues, which I believe are from being in areas of high heat for extended periods.

Wally & Elta Mae
2007Allure 470 #31535
Wally, we have also been in a lot of heat lately. My most recent episode was after day 3 of continuous 90+ degree days with the coach in full sun.

Butch said he has seen a number of the Intellitec systems that get glitchy with age. He and I agreed it is an unnecessary feature. When we are on 30 amp we know not to try and run more than one AC and turn off the electric element in the Aqua Hot (if we want to run an AC). The number of times we have been on 30 amp have been few so if I continue to have problems, I plan to just bypass the system.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

AWESOME RESULTS!!
Thank you all kindly for your comments as I will tuck them all away for future. This time the answer was that little switch directly on the generator (covered in dirt/dust) which I never knew was there. So much to learn, such a lovely journey!

Thank you all again for being my mastermind!
Kelly
Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Kelly,

That little switch is the Circuit Breaker for the generator. Mine has tripped once or twice in the 11 years of owning the rig. Sometimes it may look OK but it is really tripped. Just switch it completely off and then back on.

I never could figure out why it just does it. So if it happens again that's the first place to look.

Dr4Film ----- Richard