Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Surge protector question

We recently purchased a 2005 Allure 470 and was reading on the forum regarding the importance of having a surge protector. I ordered a Progressive Industries EMSLCHW50 only to discover after having receiving it that there is already a RV Surge protector in the first basement compartment. My question to CC owners is, from your experience has the existing RV Surge protector (that I presume that CC installed) proved adequate or do I need to replace it with the Progressive Industries device?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Without knowing what you have installed it would be difficult to say. The PI unit you purchased is more than just a surge protector, and it may be worth it to replace the existing unit with your new purchase.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally , surge protectors installed by MH mfg . Are just that ( surge protectors ). The PI unit is an EMS ( electrical management system ) and protects for high and low voltage as well as faulty wiring at outlet.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Generally , surge protectors installed by MH mfg . Are just that ( surge protectors ). The PI unit is an EMS ( electrical management system ) and protects for high and low voltage as well as faulty wiring at outlet.
You want an EMS, not just a surge protector.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

My 2000 Magna came with TRC HW RV50 surge protector with power management features similar to the Progressive Industries. I would rather have the PI unit because it has better specifications, PI is a great company to work with, and the PI unit has a remote readout so you can see what the voltage and current are and if there is a fault that causes it to shut down you can see the error code. My TRC unit does not have a remote readout and if I want to know why it shut down I have to empty part of a compartment, crawl in, remove a panel and then see what lights are displayed.

I have a portable PI 50 amp unit that I use when I encounter problems so I don't have to crawl into a compartment to monitor the power line. A new hardwired PI unit is on my want list.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

Our coach has the built in surge protection and also read outs inside the coach. Seems to work fine. I usually glance up to see how many volts are coming into the coach once in a while, and also how many amps we are using.

If you have read out in your coach you likely don't need the additional unit.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Our coach has the built in surge protection and also read outs inside the coach. Seems to work fine. I usually glance up to see how many volts are coming into the coach once in a while, and also how many amps we are using.

If you have read out in your coach you likely don't need the additional unit.
Thanks for your kind response. I may have the read-outs however I have no idea where to look for them. Then again, I may not...
Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We were at an R,V, Park last year and we were hooked up to Elect. and later we went shopping and when we got back our Elect. cord was disconnect and as I was looking at the cord the end was burnt and melted from the plug back about 18" the camp master saw smoke coming from our Elect. box so he ran over and unplugged our Elect. connection.
After that we had a Surge protector installed in line.
Camping World did the work.
Friends of our told us that the something happened to them except it distorted their Microwave, Refrigerate and a feel other things so you can see why we had one installed.
Just a thought.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
mackraekw,
My 05 Inspire (one step down from your Alure) had EMS management and definately shut down when I was in a park with low voltage but I don't believe it had a readout of the voltage so I had a portable VOM that I checked the Park Post with and it was somewhere around 100 volts. Later in the evening there was higher voltage and we replugged in for power.
JohnFreyja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our Magna has both surge and voltage protection built in. It has tripped more than once with a voltage issue. Nothing in the coach has been harmed at all.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Our Magna has both surge and voltage protection built in. It has tripped more than once with a voltage issue. Nothing in the coach has been harmed at all.
One of the most destructive electrical issues that a coach can encounter is a floating or open neutral. You should research what you have to be sure you are protected from this very serious problem. It's also about the 3rd most common campground issue after low and high voltage.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

Good chance it is the TRC 50A SurgeGuard. We've had good luck with SurgeGuard products. First with a 30A unit in our Bounder, and now with the factory OEM 50A unit in our 04 Allure.

Ours installed behind a cabinet in bedroom, with an access panel to check it from the main closet area. So not having a remote panel has never been an impact to us. Thankfully, it does not shut down too often - probably luck of the campgrounds we've chosen.

IMO, if you have good visibility to your unit, or reasonable access - run with it.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a Progressive portable 50 amp unit. But, there are problems that the progressive unit sees and just shuts down your electrical system. That is great! I want to know why before I park and plug in. Richard made me a tester that tells me instantly of a problem with a tester. Dr4Film ----- Richard , he makes them to order. I had a problem where I store my coach. Plugged his unit in and instantly it told me it wasn't true 50 amp service. and the ground wasn't even there. Previously I told the owner there was a problem. With Richards unit the owner saw the problem and it was correct that day. Do a search on IRV2 for his write up. Safe travels.. ed
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

My power protection unit

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread. I was out of town for a week and when I got back, I was able to determine the make and model of the power protection unit. It is a TRC Model 34560 Power Protection SurgeGuard. Now, I don't know anything about this unit or what kind of protection it provides but I am still curious whether it is adequate or whether I should install the Progressive Industries EMS unit I purchased. Also, if I do install the Progressive Industries unit, should it replace the TRC unit or be wired in addition in order to supplement it?