Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Suspension noises while dumping air?

When I dump the air getting ready to level my rear suspension makes many loud clunking noises which I think is rubber bushings sticking then releasing from the tag swing arm. Anyone else have these noises? Anyone have any guesses as to a fix?

Thanx ... Lar

Oh, this is an 04 CC, with tag, ISL 370, 40', 3 slides.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
It could be your brakes. When you set the parking brake and then dump air.there is some movement of the suspension causing some rocking motion. This would cause the brakes to clunk. It has happened to me with a single axle.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It could be your brakes. When you set the parking brake and then dump air.there is some movement of the suspension causing some rocking motion. This would cause the brakes to clunk. It has happened to me with a single axle.
Can you dump without setting the parking brake? Marvin.. 07 Allure w/tag
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

I can dump without applying the brake at home since my parking area is level... I'll give it a try once I get the MH back from the body shop... Thank You Alabama last winter for that wonderful deer that snuck out and caused 20,000 $$$ worth of damage to the front end.

Thanx for the quick responses.

Lar
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

I get just the opposite... clunking noises when my suspension airs up.

I have deduced that it is the bags popping out during inflation. If I allow the system to completely come up to pressure, before raising the legs, the noises aren't nearly as bad.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Oh, I get noises coming up as well. Another CC owner said it might be rubber bushings which can be sprayed with silicone which doesn't affect rubber bushings, but I haven't given that a try.

Lar
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lar13 View Post
Oh, I get noises coming up as well. Another CC owner said it might be rubber bushings which can be sprayed with silicone which doesn't affect rubber bushings, but I haven't given that a try.

Lar
I think it is a tire/brake issue..especially with a tag..l keep mine in a garage with concrete floor and it actually leaves black tire marks on the concrete.. From the tag and also the drive axle. I have tried different methods to dump but I have not accomplished much. Any good ideas welcome.. Marvin. 07allure..CC...42
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Can you dump without setting the parking brake? Marvin.. 07 Allure w/tag
Yes, no problem. But I have an "experienced" '02, not a new one.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps it's just getting old and letting you know when it's settling down, just like our old dog.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yes, no problem. But I have an "experienced" '02, not a new one.
My HWH is tied into the Parking Brake and will not come on until the brake is set.
My determination is that the brake has the tires locked to where they cannot turn, as the suspension goes up or down the Tires do not extend in a straight 180 deg., there is a certain radius with the drive axle and also the Tag axle, this makes the wheel have to slide somewhat on the ground, thus causing the suspension to drag the wheel or tire on the ground or concrete, what ever you are on, Gravel is not as bad because it allows the tire to skid with less resistance.
with all this said, should one remove the ground from the parking brake and allow the coach to move as needed? I am toying with that idea, anybody else already done this?
I know from the noise that my suspension makes that it is certainly not good for all the bushings? Any other discussion on this subject?