Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tecma Macerator Toilet Questions

Like many of us with CC's, we have the Tecma Macerator toilet. It is the only toilet we have. While I realize you can't be prepared for every failure, I am wondering if I might want to get a spare Macerator for it. I don't know what the life expectancy of the motor is but, if it fails, we'd be out of business. Since the thing is made in Italy and parts for it are not easy to get, I am thinking a spare pump is not a bad idea.

So, anyone ever have one of these things fail? Anyone carry a spare pump for it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Maybe try Kevin and see what he has in stock
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Part #38056 - I did a quick search and found 64 in stock at RVPartShop and a few more at other RV and Marine suppliers.

At $400 I will wait until I hear the macerator acting up... My opinion.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had my Tecma Silent Plus toilet crap out on me on a trip, would not flush. Pulled the toilet out and pulled the pump out of it. Tested the pump and it was OK, turn out the problem was in the electronic module that controls it. I was unable to get a replacement right away so I rigged up two switches, one to the pump and one to the water valve so I could use the toilet. When I got home, ordered the electronic module and all was OK again. If it was the motor, I would have taken it to a local place that repairs motors (starters, alternators, etc) to have it fixed.
desertvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertvette View Post
I had my Tecma Silent Plus toilet crap out on me on a trip, would not flush. Pulled the toilet out and pulled the pump out of it. Tested the pump and it was OK, turn out the problem was in the electronic module that controls it. I was unable to get a replacement right away so I rigged up two switches, one to the pump and one to the water valve so I could use the toilet. When I got home, ordered the electronic module and all was OK again. If it was the motor, I would have taken it to a local place that repairs motors (starters, alternators, etc) to have it fixed.
I have a spare control module (the panel with the two flush switches). Mine was acting up.... the normal flush button was intermittent so I got a spare. Now that I have the spare, the original control seems to be working fine .
Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

We did not have the macerator version, but we did have electric flush version. (We'd all assume our positions, and prepare to "Dive, Dive, DIVE!" as we flushed the toilet. (So loud, that if yellow, let it mellow, was our mantra overnight.)

After replacing the flapper slider seal three times in four years, figured their had to be something wrong with the full flapper slide mechanism, so replaced the full assembly the last time. Our main problem besides the noise, is the unit would not hold water for more then 6-8 weeks after each seal change. We thought the full assembly replacement took care of it, but week 7, again we started to lose water overnight. The final straw, was the electric circuit board went out.

Gump had me pegged pretty good on this one "I may not be a smart man." - as I was just about to buy the replacement control board, and new flapper mechanism, again... Was at PPL check out, and saw the cost was somewhere around $400. I stopped. Pull my folders of receipts, and was up over $700 in repairs of this unit....

Talked with the DW about this. She said she also did not like how the water was not strong enough to clean the full bowl during a flush. So I said OK, I'm going to replace the full toilet. And, I said I'm going to go KISS, and go with all manual...

And that is what we did. Replace the toilet. I found it funny, that after looking and reading on this vital matter to RV'ing - that I actually rewarded the same company that made a device that I felt was of poor design, and build. THEY AHD A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR IT. Looks like the same porcelain bowl, but converted to all manual equipment.

We did this on this trip we're on now. Having Amazon deliver the unit to us while at Indianapolis for the Indy 500. Had a local repairman come and assist me in the change out. (My DW trusts my capabilities at opening a bottle of wine. And she did say she thought I'd eventually get everything taken care of and installed properly. But, with a bit of pun intended - she said she'd appreciate this 'swap out' being as fast and efficient as possible. So, cheap insurance to have the mobile tech assist me in the swap out. We had it done and complete within 45 minutes. And we have been joyfully flushing, with a bowl of water awaiting our addition to the bowl, ever since.

Gary.... May the flus, macerated as it is, be with you! And yes to having appropriate spares available as needed.

Best to all, be safe, and enjoy your well working 'throne's',
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Smitty, if I could replace this one with a good manual, I would do it in a heartbeat. We had a nice china bowl manual flush Thetford in our previous coach and it worked just fine.

However, since our throne is not mounted over the black tank, I guess we are stuck with a Macerator. Knowing how telling my DW 'now dear, you just need to hoof it over to that ladies room on the other side of the campground' would be received, I think I am willing to invest in a spare Macerator.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Gump would be proud of you! As a 'smart man' does not provoke the significant other!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ecm, toilet