RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #1

Thank You! & a Hurricaine Heater Question

Hurricaine Hydronc Heater ???

Tried posting to this old thread, but because it's over 435 days old, I was not allowed, so I'm creating a new thread here.

. . .
First I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread linked above. You see, a few months ago I purchased a 2003 CC Magna with a Hurricaine Hydronic Heater (first hydronic heater I've ever owned).

When purchased, the seller said the he wasn't sure if the Hurricaine heat worked, and priced the coach accordingly.

After reading this thread and following it's suggestions, I went out to the coach and guess what . . . the furnace fired right up, and after a few minutes, started blowing heat out of the exchangers!

Now for my question: Is it normal to see a blue and yellow flame shooting out the Hurricaine's exhaust pipe? I didn't see it initially when first fired up (it was still light out), but as it got dark outside, the flame was clearly visible and looked like an oversized cutting torch flame. Probably shooting out 2 to 4 inches beyond the exhaust tip.

Again, is this normal?

If not. . . any idea what the fix is?

Again, I can't express enough how appreciative I am of the good information I've found on this site over the years.

Bill B

vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

No, it's not normal.
Call the manufacturer's phone on the control box, they are very helpful; or have an RV tech with experience with it to take a look/adjust it. It's not like a changing oil kind of job.

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
WiFiRanger Ambassador

As someone who has a hurricane heater, I can positively tell you that what you are seeing is NOT normal. No only is there no flame in a properly functioning exhaust there is very little smoke.

It sounds as if you have raw diesel fuel leaking into the exhaust pipe and catching on fire. This isn't all that uncommon--I had something similar a couple of years ago with ours. I suggest that you not use it at all until you talk to someone. There are a lot of user serviceable parts so you might get more accomplished over the phone.

The manufacturer is ITR and their US main office is in Vancouver WA. (360) 993-4877 Itrheat

Kevin Lambert and his Customer Service people are very experienced and can walk you through a variety of diagnostic checks.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #4

We live near ITR. Extremely nice folks.
Be sure and refer to your system as a Hurricane if you are emailing them.

Good luck,

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
ITR is very helpful. As a side note, they seem to pick up the 800 number quicker than the local number. Don't know why that would be.

800-993-4402

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #6

Hurricane Heater Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Hurricaine Hydronc Heater ???

Tried posting to this old thread, but because it's over 435 days old, I was not allowed, so I'm creating a new thread here.

. . .
First I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread linked above. You see, a few months ago I purchased a 2003 CC Magna with a Hurricaine Hydronic Heater (first hydronic heater I've ever owned).

When purchased, the seller said the he wasn't sure if the Hurricaine heat worked, and priced the coach accordingly.

After reading this thread and following it's suggestions, I went out to the coach and guess what . . . the furnace fired right up, and after a few minutes, started blowing heat out of the exchangers!

Now for my question: Is it normal to see a blue and yellow flame shooting out the Hurricaine's exhaust pipe? I didn't see it initially when first fired up (it was still light out), but as it got dark outside, the flame was clearly visible and looked like an oversized cutting torch flame. Probably shooting out 2 to 4 inches beyond the exhaust tip.

Again, is this normal?

If not. . . any idea what the fix is?

Again, I can't express enough how appreciative I am of the good information I've found on this site over the years.

Bill B
Hurricane Heaters are very complex compared to a propane furnace. When they are working properly, they are awesome, but they can be problematic.
Another good source for troubleshooting or parts is:
Rixen's Enterprises
800 925-6260

Dave
tryandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryandave View Post
Hurricane Heaters are very complex compared to a propane furnace. When they are working properly, they are awesome, but they can be problematic.
Another good source for troubleshooting or parts is:
Rixen's Enterprises
800 925-6260
With all due respect, as much as I love Jim Rixen, he no longer has a lot of interest or capability to work on Hurricanes. Several years ago he completely misdiagnosed the problems with my unit and cost us a year in getting it repaired properly and several hundred dollars in addition.

Jim did a great job in adding a Comfort Hot supplemental electric system to our Hurricane. It provides nearly 4kW of electric heating that uses the two 20A air conditioning circuit which are unused when you need to heat the MH. We use the Comfort Hot most of the time during the winter since it has no moving parts and needs much less maintenance than does the Hurricane's diesel burner.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
ITR is very helpful. As a side note, they seem to pick up the 800 number quicker than the local number. Don't know why that would be.

800-993-4402

FWIW
ITR built the unit and know everything about it. A couple of years ago when no one else knew what to do with ours I had a shop remove and ship it back to ITR to be refurbished. It wasn't cheap (the shipping was nearly as much as the repair) but it was in perfect shape when it was reinstalled.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the feedback. Iíll contact ITR.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

If you are going to the FMCA Convention in Perry, GA, this coming March, ITR is there and will service the unit for you. I usually have them do scheduled or needed maintenance on my Hurricane at one of the two conventions each year.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #11

Kevin Lambert

Tech Support Manager

International Thermal Research

5305 NE 121st Ave, suite 401

Vancouver, WA 98682

360-993-4877

800-993-4402

klambert@itrheat.com

Website-itrheat.com
Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #12

There's a maintenance kit for the heaters that allows you to change out the diesel filter, burner orifice, etc. That should be your first job, especially if the PO claimed to not know about it (he likely didn't do any maintenance on it).

The system is pretty straightforward, not complicated. I managed to get a torn-apart system working as advertised with the patient help of Kevin and his crew; and parts from them are not any more than from another source.

If these systems are meant to work on larger yachts, then they are designed for long-term operation. We have a two-zone unit and it absolutely keeps us warm.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
There's a maintenance kit for the heaters that allows you to change out the diesel filter, burner orifice, etc. That should be your first job, especially if the PO claimed to not know about it (he likely didn't do any maintenance on it).

The system is pretty straightforward, not complicated. I managed to get a torn-apart system working as advertised with the patient help of Kevin and his crew; and parts from them are not any more than from another source.

If these systems are meant to work on larger yachts, then they are designed for long-term operation. We have a two-zone unit and it absolutely keeps us warm.
To add to the information, ITR has several videos on YouTube explaining the operation, troubleshooting, maintenance and replacement procedures. These videos make it very easy to identify faulty components and shows you how to replace them. Just search Hurricane operation and troubleshooting on YouTube web site.

Tags
heat, heater