Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

Thinking about a 1998 Intrigue restoration project

Had a 1998 Allure single slide and loved this coach to death. Have a line on a 1998 Intrigue with 130K miles that needs some TLC. Specifically:

1. The big one, the Segi windows were never repaired. Dave Root in Oregon still does them, trying to find out if RV Glass Solutions in Phoenix still does them. Looks like $4K minimum.

2. It has been outside too much. Thinking trip to Algodones for a full body paint job. $6K assuming repainting the color part the same and going over the gel coat and roof with a light complimentary shade.

3. Time to redo the carpet. This time, thinking wood flooring. $3K?

4. New shocks and probably new air ride valves and adjustment. Guessing $1500.

What, $3K for the rest? TVs and the like.

Interesting, this Intrigue doesn't look all that different than the Allure we had as far as interior finish.

Someone please tell me I'm nuts at 72 years old to consider this project.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Ok.....your NUTS!

Seriously, the list you described doesn't seem all that bad. Kinda hard to give a honest opinion with not actually being able to see the coach. My biggest fear would be the unknown. If you get the feeling that it's been neglected, other problem areas will come up.

I would make sure the underbody is clean, and not a lot of rust. Look inside for water damage, and musty smells.

At your age I would think that it would be better to get something that you can enjoy right away. But, if you feel your ready for the challenge, then go for it. Just be ready for the unknown.

Brett

bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We had our carpet and tile ripped out and replaced it with a single sheet of wood grain vinyl and it looks great. You also don't have to worry about spilling anything on it and it is a breeze to clean. We got rid of the mirrors in the kitchen area and replace those with plywood that matched the interior and tile under the cabinets behind the sink and stove also tile in the bathroom under the cabinets. We also replaced 1 tv and move another one and had 4 solar panels installed with all the appropriate controllers. We had all our work done at Oregon Motor Coach. You are nuts, but that's ok because you're 72 and at that point in life you gotta go for it. Good Luck I hope it all comes together for you.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
DTS

Sounds like a fun project to me! Who cares what your age is, if you enjoy doing this stuff go for it. I have the same year and model as what you're looking at. I can tell you that mine needs just about everything you described. The good thing is that most of those are cosmetic and you can do them at your leisure while still enjoying the coach.
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

Decided against it. Stored outside plus over $5K and having to drive to Phoenix to get the windows fixed. Just didn't like the look of it.

Too bad, these guys could have had the windows fixed for half that in Texas a few years back when Dave Root was visiting McAllen every winter to do window fixes. He did ours in Yuma on our last CC and did a fantastic job.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Decided against it. Stored outside plus over $5K and having to drive to Phoenix to get the windows fixed. Just didn't like the look of it.

Too bad, these guys could have had the windows fixed for half that in Texas a few years back when Dave Root was visiting McAllen every winter to do window fixes. He did ours in Yuma on our last CC and did a fantastic job.
In that case would you mind sharing the info on it? I might know someone interested in it.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Sorry to hear you are going to pass. I'm 73 and just completed my Allure. New flat screens front and rear with full removal of the dreaded head knocker, new back splash in galley and bath, new flooring front to rear, (we used wood looking vinyl planks 7" wide X 4' long) really looks great, dish satellite on the roof, pulled the mirrors off behind the table and replaced with wood strips, pull the old sofa and installed a custom built sleeper and it was a lot less than buying a newer coach that I was not sure of the condition. I replaced the bags about 7 years ago and do all my own maintenance so I know this coach pretty well throughout. To me it was worth it and in a funny way kinda fun. Keep looking as there are some really good finds out there and IMHO I don't think you can beat the older model CC's for quality and endurance.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 186,000 and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
In that case would you mind sharing the info on it? I might know someone interested in it.
Very happy to do so.

nacogdoches.craigslist.org/rvs/6048967348.html

It will cost $5K to fix the windows in Phoenix, RV glass solutions, or Dave Root will do them for $3900 in Oregon. Plus it is clear the coach needs a paint job, that's $6K in Algodones.

I'd have a hard time paying more than $25K for this one as it has spent too much time outside.

I think the one I put in the classified to help the folks out in St. Louis is a much better prospect at $41K. Have your friend check that one out.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Need to call RV Glass in Cobug and make an appt to bring mine in to replace the drivers window now. They have it in stock and cost it supposed to be $325.
Late last year they did the entrance door window but the cost was close to $600 too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #10

Yep, would have been a project! But good bones in that era CC's!

We had friends question my sanity (An all to often occurrence, and yet, they remain friends!!!) on the modifications we've been making to our coach.

"Why would you add more money into an older depreciating asset?"
"Why not just trade it in on a newer coach?"
"Sale it as is. Take those funds and travel by car and stay in hotels and or cabins."
"Why not use it as it is, and put the money into savings?"

Etc., etc....

Well I'll say this again, not the first time on this board.

"We purposely bought a coach with pre heavy smog changes that kicked in around the 2005-2006 model years." (That range, as it was very possible to get a 2005 model, with a 2004 era smog control engine.)

"We bought a coach that we both liked the interior. We wanted only two Drivers side slides, with the front one being a deeper slide. Or, we would have taken a three slide coach, with two on the Drivers side (Still deeper front slide.) and then a third slide on the bedroom area. And with what we considered a 'good foundation' to build upon."

And Country Coach built several models that met those criteria needs.

We were fortunate to purchase, pulling up our retirement rig purchase by just under 3 years, a coach at a time when many people had to get out from under coaches during the first 2-4 years of the financial turndown. We kept our same budget price point, and got much more coach then we had expected. (And note, we did not get a 'killer price' but I feel we got a 'fair and reasonable price'. Within 3-4 years after we purchased our coach, we could have sold it at about a $10K profit, even after being 3-4 years older... As the higher quality coaches were coming back in value, and with CC no longer building, some buyers were trying to find good quality older units to purchase - so that caused the slight actual appreciation in value.

My wife and I planned on a 20 year horizon of usage, after retirement, with this coach. And then we'll evaluate what we want to do at that time. So all of our upgrades were based upon a planed a 20 years or so payback of usage amortization. (We did slow down on the planned upgrades, and have spread them over 10 years vs our planned 2-4 year window, due to higher then anyone could forecast Pre 65 Health Insurance costs. (We retired one year before ACA kicked in...). So admittedly some of our payback of usage timeframe will not be quite as long! (Only have carpet replacement with wood flooring and now a scaled back paint job area. Planned over the next two years budgets.)

All said, we'll have spent about $200K, + or - $10K, on the purchase and then upgrades to this coach. (Not including normal tire and other maintenance in this value, just the upgrades of gear, solar, batter capacity, inverters, TV's, stereo, cabinetry, recliners, shades, etc., etc.)

That's about $830 a month spread out over the 20 years. I had budgeted $1200 just for the fixed costs and upgrades, amortized over 20 years of usage. The lower amount is due to us both agreeing to cut back due to the higher costs of Health Insurance . My 5th year of retirement will be complete in early 2018, and I then qualify for Medicare. My DW is a young one, and she has another 6 or so years to go until Medicare - if they don't change the rules before then. Once we're both on Medicare, and thus lower Health Insurance costs. We may decide to go ahead with the full planned paint job on the coach. In another 6 years, that will be year 11-12 towards the 20 we'd agreed to. So we may have a good feel if we believe we'll want to use the coach longer then that period. Which may be the nod to go ahead with the full paint, vs touch up and repair after removing 3M and a few battle scars along the way!

We don't full time, we're what I call Permanent Part Time Full Timers - going out for 6-8 months of travel per year. Usually broken up into a small trip at the first of the year, followed by what we call the long trip of 4-6 months.

Why share all of this? Well because I feel we're very sane. We worked hard and carefully planned for this phase. We had contingency, mostly consumed from the higher Health Insurance costs. And as we all must do in life, we've adjusted out lives to the current reality. (We had also planned a trip to Europe every other year in our retirement schedule. That has been delayed until we're both on Medicare now.).

I'm still wet behind the ears at 64 now, compared to some of you seasoned RV'er's. But when I'm mid 70's - I see no reason why we won't take on longer range projects. RV's? House's? (We've built a few over the years, and may just have one last large one left, if we exit out of California property completely.) Businesses? (Yep, no law, currently, saying you have to be under a certain age to start and run a business!) My point to this long winded post - is I salute everyone's right to do what they feel they want to do! You've all earned it, so why not go out and reap the benefits? And if it say takes me two hours to do what I used to do in 1 hour - that's OK too!!!

Salute to all of you that lead the way, go enjoy, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #11

I agree with Smitty on the good bones era.

We are temporarily full-timing in our 22+ year old rig. Currently near Reno.

We are quite comfortable with all components working (knock on wood!).

Cosmetics is the most difficult part at this stage.

Painting costs more than the rig is worth on the market.

The re-paint job quality and its life expectancy is always suspect.

At 72, we just keep fixing and see whether we or the rig quits first...

BTW, except for the Digital TV, one recovered couch, a 5.1 surround system, and one roof air, the rig is all original on the inside.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
DTS did your friend go look at the coach? What did they think?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #13
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
DTS did your friend go look at the coach? What did they think?
I had sent him the link to the same coach about a month ago, so I didn't re-send it. I didn't realize you were talking about the same one, in this thread
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
I had sent him the link to the same coach about a month ago, so I didn't re-send it. I didn't realize you were talking about the same one, in this thread
What did he think of it?

Have not been able to find anyone closer than AZ who can fix the windows.

Tags
restoration