Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This Magna is beginning to get to me!

The map light over the passenger quit working last week. Yes, I've checked with a VOM and no voltage to it. There appears to be only one fuse for both passenger and driver map lights. Drivers side is working fine.
Toll window shade quit last night, found the control module but no fusses for it yet. All the other shades and covers work fine.
Went to put the MotoSat up and the controller appears to be dead. Voltage coming in, light on transformer is on. Controller is hot but won't turn on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr_D Sorry your issues are continuing. You are being sorely tested. Hopefully the issues will all be resolved positively and soon.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, at least I'm getting a lot of time reading the manuals and wiring diagrams!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The map light over the passenger quit working last week. Yes, I've checked with a VOM and no voltage to it. There appears to be only one fuse for both passenger and driver map lights. Drivers side is working fine.
Toll window shade quit last night, found the control module but no fusses for it yet. All the other shades and covers work fine.
Went to put the MotoSat up and the controller appears to be dead. Voltage coming in, light on transformer is on. Controller is hot but won't turn on.

Try unplugging both cables on the MotoSat controller. Might reset. If "no joy", RF Mogul builds a controller for the MotoSat.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Try unplugging both cables on the MotoSat controller. Might reset. If "no joy", RF Mogul builds a controller for the MotoSat.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Yep, I got the info on the new controller in Phoenix in March and was looking into it. $850 plus install to run new cables. Two dealers in our area, one in Junction City OR (just over 100 miles away) and another, very expensive one (Dave & LJ's) in Woodland WA about 30 miles from us. I've delt with the them when their father owned the business and they were 5 miles from home.
I may just see if I can find a used (cheap) controller in the meantime. DW just CAN'T go without her TV! And it we have to live in the rig while waiting for a liver I won't hear the end of it.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mr_D: If this is any consolation, mine is doing exactly the same thing (PS not working). I also have two smaller lights over the bed, two works and two doesn't! Please post if you find the problem. I'll do the same!
Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

I want to help my fellow CC owners, especially those that are suffering with the more advanced CC's.

So you Magna and Affinity owners that want to step back to an easier RV existence, I'm willing to trade RV's straight across (There 6 month minimum. Full fuel, new tires, batteries, and stocked fridge and wine cellar required upon exchange of keys. And, my wife reservers the right change the color of towels and bedding, as well any temporary mod's to closet area to support her shoe collection.)

Please just send my your periods of the year you'd be interested to 'step back' to a simpler life of an Allure!

======

It's always something, and always seems to come at the worst time! Best to all that are having fun with their coaches maintenance!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smitty, my wife just might be ready for that!!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

Okay no voltage to one but volts on other so source is good but path not so much.

It seems CC loves or did love a connector by AMP that is not the best.

You may have a large multi wire connector someplace that is flaky.

In ours there are many in the front of the unit where different cables plug into the front run box that contains fuses and breakers.

They build the chassis and distribution center then distribution cable looms from different parts of the coach plug in.

So suggest looking above or behind your power center (s) for multi wire connectors that may supply the power from controlled sources out to loads.

You may have cable A feeding driver side and cable Y feeding passenger side.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I want to help my fellow CC owners, especially those that are suffering with the more advanced CC's.

So you Magna and Affinity owners that want to step back to an easier RV existence, I'm willing to trade RV's straight across (There 6 month minimum. Full fuel, new tires, batteries, and stocked fridge and wine cellar required upon exchange of keys. And, my wife reservers the right change the color of towels and bedding, as well any temporary mod's to closet area to support her shoe collection.)

Please just send my your periods of the year you'd be interested to 'step back' to a simpler life of an Allure!

======

It's always something, and always seems to come at the worst time! Best to all that are having fun with their coaches maintenance!

Smitty
Would love to trade our Magna for something simpler that has less things that can go wrong, So very tired of fixing this thing..
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #11

All kidding aside, even the simpler units can keep you busy! As has been stated many times, these are rolling homes, vibrating themselves down the roads. And let's face it, most of us are driving on roads today, that due to poor condition, adds even more bangs, booms, vibrations, stress to the chassis and full house systems.

I also feel that even in some of the higher end coaches, that the consumer wanting to get 'as much coach as they could, for a lowest price as possible' has forced the usage of sub components that allows coach builders to hit a lower price point. (I call this the home depot syndrome. Where as you walk the stores today, compared to say 25 years ago, you see much less selection, and usually much less quality in product. You used to be able to choose between junk, and pay accordingly. Or, get good quality, and pay it bit more. Now, you seem to pay somewhere in between these two, and still get junk quality. Many of the higher quality suppliers are now out of business, and all that is available is junk...).

OK, off my soap box. But, I tell my friends, and extended family - to always think about the quality of what they are buying, vs just he 'rock bottom price'. Hoping the tide will change back, to where you can get decent quality, and be willing to pay to do so...

Our 'simpler' Allure, and yes, it is much less sophisticated then a Magna or Affinity. Has had a bad stretch of luck on this current trip:
-Leaking compression nuts on the engine, with one very difficult to get at, had us leaking coolant
-Cracked exhaust manifold
-Two pot hole damaged tires needed replacement
-HydroHot Diesel would not consistently kick on while in hot water demand situations
-Three out of four of the passenger side OTR AC registers are not blowing (Other looking for quick and simple problems, have not yet debugged this one!)

And, about 40% of the time, our newish Winegard Trav'ler will not come down, requiring the 'reset' process to get it to come down all the way!

Minor things, and mentioned just to remind us all that these 'rolling casa's', require ongoing maintenance!

And as many of you have much more experience with this thing called RV'ing then I do - you know this... And, yeah, it's OK to come to this board and vent - we're all here for each other!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, the dead MotoSat Nomad controller needs to be replaced anyway. Can't just use another one as they shut off a sat that it used to locate the others. When we first got the rig in mid Feb and went to Phoenix it found and locked onto the Direct sat. Then a while ago it would just keep searching and not lock on so I had to wait till it found the correct sat and then shut it off. Guess I could still do that if I could locate a used one cheap enough. New controller is $895 plus installation and we're not that flush right now!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Smitty77: You are so right about the quality issue! It is the "mad in China" syndrome that is haunting us all. Case in point - Years ago when I first started teaching (1977 to be exact), I bought duplex, rented one side w/2 bedrooms and stayed on the other side that also had a two car garage. Three years later we opted to build a house with a two car garage. Since I was planning on renting the other side of the duplex, I took out the automatic garage door opener and installed it in my new house. I used it on this house for 17 years until I sold it and moved into my current new house in 1998, and it was still working. In my new house now I have three single door garages and so far I have replaced two of the three garage door openers. Enough of my soap box!
Safe Travels To All!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Okay no voltage to one but volts on other so source is good but path not so much.

It seems CC loves or did love a connector by AMP that is not the best.

You may have a large multi wire connector someplace that is flaky

In ours there are many in the front of the unit where different cables plug into the front run box that contains fuses and breakers.

They build the chassis and distribution center then distribution cable looms from different parts of the coach plug in.

So suggest looking above or behind your power center (s) for multi wire connectors that may supply the power from controlled sources out to loads.

You may have cable A feeding driver side and cable Y feeding passenger side.
You make perfect sense! But, I have no clue where the "... wire connectors" are! Thanks for your post!