Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #15

Should be okay...The all thread has too many stress risers and failed due to side loads.

A proper length bolt with minimum thread length should be good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Took it to a local fab shop. They're going to reinforce the bottom plate per CC and put a new allthread in. Should be ready tomorrow and cost me $45. I consider that a good price to have it done. I thought about doing it at work as we have the tools, but no one that knows how to weld. Our old administrator would have had it done in a short time but he died a couple years ago

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Should be okay...The all thread has too many stress risers and failed due to side loads.

A proper length bolt with minimum thread length should be good.
I think it was broken at Cummins NW in Portland when they fixed a major engine problem. But then told me the rig didn't sit level when finished. Went to pick it up and found one rear shock bent in half and the other leaking badly. Had to replace both Koni's on the drive axle. Also found they broke an interior pocket door and now the broken slide adjuster. All on the same side of the rig. Naturally they claim it wasn't anything they did but I have photographs of the rig when delivered to them that show the rig sitting level and no shock problems reported on their intake paperwork after their intake inspection. Nor did they report the leaking shocks on any of there papers.

There is only about 1/16" of side movement at the top of the bracket. They used star lock washers which should have enough give to compensate. I might add a spring beneath the bottom bracket and locktite the bottom nut as all it is doing is keeping it from rattling. That would let it give a little and not put a side force on the all thread.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #18

If compression spring consider engine valve springs.

We made a foot pedal brake bar for an engine lathe that needed a strong spring to hold it up and used a valve spring from big block Chevy.

Local valve shops or engine re builders have them in buckets for cheap.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did buy a spring but found I couldn't use it as it was too long. Put the bracket in today but now I find that the slide comes in almost all the way, raises up and slams down. If I let it do that it'll break the allthread again. Need to figure out what's causing it to go up. The top isn't going in all the way and the whole slide is slightly crooked too.
It started doing it right after Cummins had it in their shop and had to disassemble the bed area and bedroom closet/floor.
Guess it's time to head for Junction City!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #20

Sounds like it is running over a speed bump.

Get an inspection bore camera from harbor freight so you can look inside the tracks and other places and see of there is a nut or rock in the track or something bumping.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #21

Mr. D
I have a 2004 Country Coach Allure which I really like, have been considering going a little newer. Have been looking at 2007 - 2009 Country Coach Magna's however after reading about all your problems I am beginning to have serious doubts about replacing my coach. Good luck with your repair.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Sounds like it is running over a speed bump.

Get an inspection bore camera from harbor freight so you can look inside the tracks and other places and see of there is a nut or rock in the track or something bumping.
Have the HF color unit but I do need to go take a closer look with it. The top of the slide isn't coming in all the way either. Going out it's smooth, only does the jump up and down when coming in. Too much going on with the DW's cancer to spend much time on the RV.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
Mr. D
I have a 2004 Country Coach Allure which I really like, have been considering going a little newer. Have been looking at 2007 - 2009 Country Coach Magna's however after reading about all your problems I am beginning to have serious doubts about replacing my coach. Good luck with your repair.
Larry, anything this complicated can have troubles! Part of the problems I've run into go back to the previous owner and his maintenance. He owned a truck company and had their mechanics doing the maintenance rather than RV tech's. Others can be traced to Cummins NW in Portland and their mistreatment of the rig. Broken doors and shocks don't happen on their own!

Tags
slide