Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Time to change engine coolant?

My coach has ES Compleat PG coolant that is the original so now 7 years old. It is testing only at -4F freeze point but the nitrites are still within spec. I am thinking it is time to flush and refill.

I am curious how many here have done that and what you used? One local shop recommends ES Compleat EG which will provide a lower freeze point than the PG version. Also, I have considered going with OAT coolant like ES Compleat OAT or Final Charge.

Finally, has anyone done this themselves? I am only reluctant to do it myself since I don't know what I'd do with nearly 26 gallons of used coolant.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Cummins recommends a coolant flush and re-fill
at 5 years. I took mine to a Cummins authorized
professional service center for the work. They
specialize in buses, of which many are Cummins
powered and on chassis that they know very well.
There are corrosion issues as well as freeze points
to be concerned with. I'd do not do any of the
preventive maintenance on the chassis or engine,
as I believe the pros know much more than I do.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #3

Went with Final Charge. Had the system flushed with distiller water, that I provided. Be sure to change the water filter too, non SCA, if you go that route.

I figured why worry about testing it in the future, and cooler temps are nice.

Smitty
Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Went with Final Charge. Had the system flushed with distiller water, that I provided. Be sure to change the water filter too, non SCA, if you go that route.

I figured why worry about testing it in the future, and cooler temps are nice.

Smitty
My ISL has no water filter/coolant filter. Using distilled water is one of the reasons I had considered doing it myself to make sure it is done right. So, to ensure these shops do it correctly, we have to provide the distilled water?? I don't have a problem doing that but would think they are set up with their own dionized water for that type of work.

FWIW, the retired Cummins/Fleetguard engineer who frequents the Cummins engine forum (Spike45) thinks we are goofy to change out the coolant in 5 years. He says those recommendations are based on the miles an OTR rig would put on in 5 years and not RV's. He suggests that in 5 years, most of us with motorhomes have put about one month's worth of miles that an OTR truck would have.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My ISL has no water filter/coolant filter. Using distilled water is one of the reasons I had considered doing it myself to make sure it is done right. So, to ensure these shops do it correctly, we have to provide the distilled water?? I don't have a problem doing that but would think they are set up with their own dionized water for that type of work.

FWIW, the retired Cummins/Fleetguard engineer who frequents the Cummins engine forum (Spike45) thinks we are goofy to change out the coolant in 5 years. He says those recommendations are based on the miles an OTR rig would put on in 5 years and not RV's. He suggests that in 5 years, most of us with motorhomes have put about one month's worth of miles that an OTR truck would have.

I did this, at the same time I was changing out all of the water hoses at 10 years of age. Figure with the hoses off, might as well make the change to Final Charge. The shop that helped me is an all around RV Shop, that had a good mechanic. He said if I would pick up the water, he would use it to flush it. Larger truck stops or Cummns shops, may be equipped for this.

Yeah Sir Spike45, Gary, is who I consulted with before going to Final Charge. I also read the gent that likes CATA, Wolfe, write up on changing over fluids. Probably a bit of overkill, but does not hurt!

Smitty
Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I did this, at the same time I was changing out all of the water hoses at 10 years of age. Figure with the hoses off, might as well make the change to Final Charge. The shop that helped me is an all around RV Shop, that had a good mechanic. He said if I would pick up the water, he would use it to flush it. Larger truck stops or Cummns shops, may be equipped for this.

Yeah Sir Spike45, Gary, is who I consulted with before going to Final Charge. I also read the gent that likes CATA, Wolfe, write up on changing over fluids. Probably a bit of overkill, but does not hurt!

Smitty
I stopped by my local Cummins Coach Care shop today and talked to them. I have used them for other service and they seem to be on top of things. Their shop manager described their process and it follows pretty much what Brett Wolfe details. He said they would need it all day since they always flush twice with plain water then follow with a final flush with deionized water. He recommends ES Compleat OAT (same as Final Charge). He says motorhomes are always more labor intensive due to the extensive coolant loop, including Aqua Hot, etc.

I have an appointment to have it done soon.