Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #15

Here is a hydro hot schematic I found
The switches probably control low voltage to the controller, so not critical on the capacity
of the relay in the timer that will replace the switch. Be sure to post back after you have made
the change, letting us know what kind of dollar savings you are achieving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-680994592.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	49264  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #16

I can see what you are trying to do, and think the lower amp timer switch would work for you. I'd look to tie it in down in the HH compartment. I think every time you turn off on the electric element switch heat, you would lose time set on the timer. So having easy access to it in the compartment should make it easier to set each time you're establishing a new hookup in camp. Then if I understand how you plan to use it, you would leave it on all the time, set to come on/off at the times you have set. Probably need at least two or thee on/off setting cycles available to use. Also as needed, you would hit the diesel option as needed.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out,

Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I can see what you are trying to do, and think the lower amp timer switch would work for you. I'd look to tie it in down in the HH compartment. I think every time you turn off on the electric element switch heat, you would lose time set on the timer. So having easy access to it in the compartment should make it easier to set each time you're establishing a new hookup in camp. Then if I understand how you plan to use it, you would leave it on all the time, set to come on/off at the times you have set. Probably need at least two or thee on/off setting cycles available to use. Also as needed, you would hit the diesel option as needed.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out,
That is my objective! Have it come on bout 6am off at around 8am..back on at about 6pm until around 8pm.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #18

Use one of these they are available in just about any voltage .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-637448737.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	49729  
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #19

The HH heating element is only heating as needed, not all time, It has it's own thermostat.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orman View Post
The HH heating element is only heating as needed, not all time, It has it's own thermostat.
True. But the OP has times during the day that he does not want the element to heat, but also wants it to heat at other times of the day. As he will not be in the coach to turn on/off the element when he wants the heating to be on/off, he is looking to add the timer.

I do understand what he is trying to do.

For us, and everyone does things differently, we usually find that if we turn on the element when we first get up, or first return to the coach from a day trip in the late afternoon - the water becomes hot enough to support what we need. We have the single element in our coach, so usually need to augment the electric with diesel when both taking showers.

On colder nights, we've had good luck with heating the coach with only the single element HH on. When needed, we will add a single portable electric heater in the front of the coach, setting the thermostat zone of the coach quite a bit lower. Finally if we have 50 amp service and are not paying for the electric above our sites fee, we use our radiant floor heater, and find it supports us with in the sleeping quarters, and then we augment the front with only the portable heater. Our HH fed heat exchangers, have the louder then we like to hear squirrel cage fans, so we try to not use that heating options if we can avoid it.

Finally, we have the Heat Buddy, and have added an inside LP fitting to tap into the large tank of the coach. Don't use that as much inside this coach as we did our Bounder, but have it if needed.

(More info then needed on this thread, but was trying to explain how we use our HH and it's electric element, and that kind of ran into the heating of the coach too!)

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #21

What my intension is to have the element come on about 15min before I get up in the AM and shutoff at a preset time and the on again later in the PM and off again before bed time. Sure I can flip the button but sometime I forget. I always stay where it is warm. And yes I do pay my own elec.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
What my intension is to have the element come on about 15min before I get up in the AM and shutoff at a preset time and the on again later in the PM and off again before bed time. Sure I can flip the button but sometime I forget. I always stay where it is warm. And yes I do pay my own elec.
To be clear for others, you want the element to be ALLOWED to come on and NOT be allowed at other times. Even if you allow power to it 15mins prior, it may be up to heat and not start heating.

Something I can think of is to be sure to get a device that can handle the amp draw because starting at 12A is hard on some things.