Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Peralko said it. On the dish area near the bead on the drive wheels. Not bear the coach but it's likely on the inside of steer axle wheels. Mine are 8.25s.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Thanks. Just curious , what size tires are you running ? When I called CC parts, I was told 315/80 22.5 steer and 12R on drive plus tag. They did not have a record as to rim width, but said " You can assume on steer 9" and 8" on drive. Should have been 9" all around, so I hope they are wrong about the drive., will see shortly.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
For what it's worth here's the axle weight sticker for our 2002 Affinity.

The tire manufacturer's weight/air-pressure tables show more than enough tire capacity to accommodate the GAWR's. We have Toyo's on the drive and tag, and Firestones on the steer. The Toyo manual for the M170 tire that we have says the approved rim width range is 8.25" to 9.00". The Firestone manual for the FS400 steer tires says the approved rim width is 9.00".

Having weighed the coach several times it runs about 4,000 lbs under the GVWR fairly evenly distributed among the three axles.

Don't know if all Country Coaches had similar stickers.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #17

Good to share all of this again, for new owners coming in.

IMO, regardless of coach and tire manufacturer, obtaining 'ready to travel' four corner weight and setting the tire PSI per axle per the specific tire manufactures PSI chart - is safety related action that each owner should do.

Many, many threads on 'four corner weight' how to's. So do some searching over under the Class A section, if you are not sure.

I personally:

-Round up the weight to the next chart line level, if within 25% of the top range. And remember, use the 'highest' wheels weight per axle.
-And again, all tires on the same axle, should be set to the same PSI.
-I also then add a 5 psi contingency on top of the specified PSI. I do this for in case I have to run down the road with fuller Grey/Black tanks, and to allow for extra weight being added while traveling (shopping is a real craft for the DW), and for when traveling in heavy crosswinds for longer periods of time, allows for some loss of PSI between refill/re-airing, etc.

I also recommend to buy what you feel is the best tire available for your wheel. Don't try to save money on the only thing between you and the ground. Your stopping, and ability to maneuver, are only as good as your suspension and those tiny little spots on the bottom of the tire making contact to the ground. (Lots of opinions on what is the best tires. But, most tires experts will confirm a Tier 1 level of tire. Do call and shop around to get that information, as sometimes a shop will call the tire they get the best profit from 'the best tire'. Not a shop to work with... Again, searching under Class A forum on tires, will bring you a list of respected and well used by RV'ers tire resellers.

Best to all, and do have fun, and do take tire safety and age seriously,
Smitty
Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
For what it's worth here's the axle weight sticker for our 2002 Affinity.

The tire manufacturer's weight/air-pressure tables show more than enough tire capacity to accommodate the GAWR's. We have Toyo's on the drive and tag, and Firestones on the steer. The Toyo manual for the M170 tire that we have says the approved rim width range is 8.25" to 9.00". The Firestone manual for the FS400 steer tires says the approved rim width is 9.00".

Having weighed the coach several times it runs about 4,000 lbs under the GVWR fairly evenly distributed among the the axles.

Don't know if all Country Coaches had similar stickers.
That chart is on all coaches regardless, that is what got CC in trouble years ago when they printed the chart ( tag ) wrong, and error was on the light side.... They were not the only one ether, I think Newmar had the same problem ( could have been that was where the fatality happened ) Regardless reading the wts on the tire as well as the MFG specs published, including the axle max wts will tell more than any chart. There is no chart for per wheel side by side of the coach ether. CC at one point tryed to blame a faulty leveling valve as a problem, I doubt that meant much of anything. With any airide set up the weight should equalize regardless of how much loaded wt. is placed wherever. Regardless of what may be stated, the more PSI you put on one axle will automaticly attract weight and remove wt. from another axle .Many a trucker in the old days had a series of swiches in the cab and could transfer ( PSI ) wt. from one axle at anytime, at the scale house, one of the reasons that practice became not legal early on, in most states. I see your 315 steer tire calls for a (J )rating. Mine , same size tire calls for an ( L ) rating. Back in 96 I had a new Monaco Windsor. I was always overweight on the drive, no matter what. I wrote many a letter to MONACO , all I got back was a statement " The axle ( Rockwell ) company has approved the increased wt for your coach) . What crap that was ! Ether way , I was over the legal axle wt of 20,000 all the time. It was not long after I brought this to their attention that tag axles became standard on 38' to 45' coaches.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #19

Good points, all. I'm headed to Livingston Tx next month for four corner weights at the Escapee park. I too am over on drive axle. The first day I owned it I fueled up and axle weighed the coach-without our stuff it was 20,300. So I have to deal with it.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Good points, all. I'm headed to Livingston Tx next month for four corner weights at the Escapee park. I too am over on drive axle. The first day I owned it I fueled up and axle weighed the coach-without our stuff it was 20,300. So I have to deal with it.

I do know how you feel...been there. Interesting to note the only blow out I ever had was on the drive on my Monaco, undersized Michelin for the 23000 I was carrying on that axel , and I could do little about it.....