Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Tires?

I just bought a 1998 CC Intrigue 325 cummins with bank turbo.(45,000 miles) I replaced 2-8D house batteries & now its time for tires. The Rv has continental 275/80R22.5 on the front & Toyo M120Z 10/22.5 on the rear duels. Lots of tread on all tires but there is some cracking near the wheel on the front tires. So to be safe I plan on replacing all 6 tires. The front tires are is 1" wider & 1/2" taller. The CC specs. recommends 10/22.5 for tire size. I understand way the last owner had bigger tires on the front for better handleing & the spec. size tires on the rear for clearance. However before I buy new tires I just want to see what the other CC owners at doing with there tires.
Is there a clearance issues with 275/80R22.5 on the front & rear?
This is a loaded question Toyo, Contiental, Sumitomo, Goodyear, or Michelins?
Is there any issues with CC I sould know before venturing off on the US Highways?
Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
Greg,

I have read many of the tire threads and my conclusion is that there are a number of suppliers of good tires. I will need to think about replacing my four rear ones next year. I have six Mich and two GY on my Affinity. I bought the GY because they were 150 each less than Mich. I have always considered Mich the best. After reading the threads I am not so sure. Seems like the ones that get consistent good comments are in order of good things said Mich, Toyo, Hankook, Sumitomo, GY, and the rest. When I shop I am going to check prices on all of these. IMHO Mich has a problem with premature sidewall cracking. More so than the others. And GY gets many black marks for Rivering.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I believe Country Coach put the Toyo tires on at the factory. On thing you will want to find out is if the ride height had been adjusted for the larger front tires on the coach now. You should have this checked and an alignment when you put the new tires on.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

Are 275/80R22.5 any taller than 10R22.5? You probably don't need ride height adjustment.

Jim
Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I believe Country Coach put the Toyo tires on at the factory. On thing you will want to find out is if the ride height had been adjusted for the larger front tires on the coach now. You should have this checked and an alignment when you put the new tires on.
I have no idea, I will have the ride height check.
Thanks Greg
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Are 275/80R22.5 any taller than 10R22.5? You probably don't need ride height adjustment.

Jim
The 275/80R22.5 is a 1/4" taller.
Greg
Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #7

The Contientals that are on the front are probably the tires supplied by CC when they had a recall for the original Toyo 10R/22.5 due to failure (front only). The 275/80R22.5 on your coach are probably 16 ply and are rated to carry 7000+ pounds per tire.
I weighed my 1997 36' Allure with full fuel, full fresh water, full grey and half full black tanks and had about 10,000 pounds on the front axle split 5200 left and 4800 right. The rear axle was at about 17,400. I currently have 10R22.5 Toyos on the rear and they have plenty load rating to handle the weight. With the weight I have on the front I plan to replace the Contientals with 295/75R22.5 14 ply rated which are rated to carry a little over 6000 per tire. The reason for going with that size is availability from several manufactures and have the same diameter as the 275/80R22.5's. The Hancooks, Sumitomos and Kuhmos are on my short list and all have excellent recommendations from other motorhomers.
I recommend you weigh your coach the way you normally go down the road with full tanks and whatever else you carry. Weigh each axle and each corner (at least front) and base your tire choice on those results. -- Chuck
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Perhaps not applicable, but I run the 10R 22.5 on all axles as CC originally installed. I had an excellent set of Toyo that aged out. The next set Toyo were bumpy, so I exchanged them for Bridgestone. Very nice ride tires but more expensive.

On my rig, the front 10r 22.5 tires must run at max tire inflation 115psi to meet the weighed load carrying requirement.

CC put the wrong inflation numbers in the coach cockpit so under recall gave me the free set of Toyo that rode very well.

By going to a larger tire on your rig, the prior owner may have been able to run the fronts at a lower pressure for the weight carried and acheive a softer ride. Of course, he did not increase the GAWR because of the bigger front tires.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote