Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Tires for a 2004 Magna Chalet 42'

I'm new to IR2 but have a question I hope someone can help with. I have Toyo tires on my 42'CC and it's time to change. I have been reading everything I can about tires on CC's on the web and can't seem to find and answer on Brand. I read that Toyo says not to use their tires on a CC. The local large tuck tire dealer,(one of the best reputaions around here) said, "I would use Hankook." I'm a retired truck driver and have owned lots of RVs over the years. I know tires usually break down from age more than mile on a MH. So, is Hankook 20ply a good choice? They are abot $3500 cheaper than Michelin. Help Please!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Sorry I can't give you any feed back on Hankook tires, only ever had Michelins. $3500. is a lot of dough, $435 per tire, on your unit with tag. OUCH ! I'm sure you'll be getting feed back soon from other members.Good luck with your search.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #3

Thanks Skip for the welcome and the reply. My mistake on the amount. Only $3076 differance between the Michelin and Hankook.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
laj

I went with mich. on mine. Couldn't be happier.
Amortize the extra cost over the time period and it's well worth the extra cost. jmho
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll be looking at Ohtsu tires when it comes time to replace. I have run into a few CC owners that have gone that route and they have said good things about them.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
$3,000 savings buys lots of fuel. That's more than I paid for my six 2007 Bridgestone Tires.

Hankook tires have been used by other MH owners and they have posted good reports on them in various forums.

I have also run Toyo for 6 years and found them to be durable. I like the ride of my current Bridgestone tires better.

Toyo said not to run them on CC rigs because they were concerned about CC's constant practice of installing tires on new rigs that were under rated for the axle they were mounting them on. Toyo was trying to distance themselves from CC.

It is difficult for me to pay a super premium price for a tire that will have no longer service life than a lesser price tire since they both will age out at the same time on my rig. But some folks want a big BMW just to fetch groceries.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Thanks Laj,
Trying to justify the cost differance between tires that will age before miles get them.

dons2346,
I will check the ohtsu tire out. I can't seem to find a dealer in East TN.

Daen,
The Toyo tires have been great. My MH uses 8-315/80 R 22.5 and the weight requires 20ply. That size makes for for big bucks so I'm trying to watch my wallet.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Exclamation tire options

I think Toyo makes a great tire. I had Goodyears on my Gulfstream and learned from multiple sources I trust that Goodyear makes a lousy steer tire. Good load tires but lousy steers. I was recommended to try Toyos on the front and they were infinitely better and reasonably priced also. When I bought my Country Coach it came with Goodyears and again the steering was NOT what I expected. Plus they had passed the 5 year mark and Goodyear makes it clear in their literature that 6 years is the limit for safety with RV tires. Some people run 'em longer but if you have seen a MH with a blowout, you won't take the chance.

Plus when you buy a used coach you have no idea how those tires have been treated. If they have been run at 20% below required pressures, if they have sat more than 90 days without being moved, if they have hit some really bad obstacles, if they have sat in the sun too much... these are all serious danger signs, so says the prevailing wisdom on RV Tires. So anyhow I would have gone with Toyos again on the CC, all the way round, but unfortunately Toyo doesn't make 295/80Rx22.5 and I was recommended to stay with the same size.

So I took a deep breath and wrote Les Schwab a check for 8 new 295/80Rx22.5 Michelin XZA-2's. Spendy for sure... but in a word, AWESOME. The ride is incomparable, I swear I can cruise down the freeway wirth no hands it steers so well, and Michelin says that with proper care their tires will last you 10 years. I think Toyo, Hankook, and Bridgestone all make good tires, but if you want the best Michelin is the way to go.
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

I know money is money, but always factor the cost over the life usage, and think safety first.

Tier 1 tires, like Michelins, will cost the most. Very pleased with our 12R XZE* tires.

Tier 2 tires, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental will save you some money, while still providing good bang (sorry for the pun) buck.

My second choices were teh BF Goodrich, 2 1/2 years ago. The Continental were not availabe then, and I've read good things about them on other boards - might be good to look into.

Hankook's (SP?) I have not information on, so no opinions...

Best of luck, and enjoy the road ahead with your new shoes!
Smitty
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

Drafter - I have changed all the tires on my CC in the last two years. I think you are not getting the best prices. Three months ago Michelin was about 25% more than Dunlop, Firestone, and Yokohama. That would be no where near the 3 grand you talk about. If you are an FMCA member get their price for Michelin.

I don't know anything about Hankook. Never owned any. I have owned in the last five years on my motor homes, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Firestone, Dunlop, and Goodyear. I have had problems with none of them. I do try to buy only tires made within the last 90 days. And I also buy tires made in the USA. I think we make better tires. I have had Michelin tires made here and Spain. The ones made here showed exactly zero oxidation at six years. The Michelins made in Spain were badly oxidized at five years.

Final thing. Are you 315s on the front / steer tires or 295s. If 295s you might switch to 315s. Mine came that way from CC. They handle more weight. Cost more too.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
laj

B Bob, when ordering them how can you specify where they are made. Do you have to go to specific dealers in order to get the USA ones? Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with michelin. We were just informed by the folks purchasing our home we need to be out Dec. 17. Then FT so must move fast.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #13

Drafter - That is easy. Just tell the tire dealer your wishes or look on the tires. I think your choice of going with Mich is a good one if you get a good price and recent tires. I did have the experience though of Mich on our coach when we bought it 3 years ago with USA and Spain Michelin. None of them gave be blowouts or anything like that, but the USA made Michelin tires looked perfect at six years. The Spain made Mich looked oxidized at 4 1/2 years. I replaced those a few months ago because I wore them out not for age.

My own personal experience of buying RV tires over the last ten years is that there are a number of companies that make good tires for motor homes. On our Country Coach I have used Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, and Dunlop all without any problems what so ever.

You have a great motor home. Enjoy it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #14

Tires for a 2004 Magna Chalet 42' - michelins

Also if you look at the Michelin brochure, they specifically state that if properly cared for (kept aired up, exercised regularly, covered to prevent excessive UV exposure, etc) that they are servicebale for 10 years. Goodyear only gives you six years. so if you keep the coach a while, the micehlins tend to be amortized out more cost effective than the Goodyears for example, even though they are pretty espensive initially. Plus, as an aside, I had posted elsewhere, I had it on good authority that Goodyears make lousy steers. Several different sources... and sure enoiugth when I replace them ont he fron of my last MH for toyos, the differnce was noticeable and on my Country Coach when I went to Michelins, the cdifference awas night and day!

jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires