Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Top of engine access, 2007 Allure

It appears I may have to have some work done on my Cummins that may require access to the top of the engine. I am curious if anyone with a coach similar to mine has actually removed the panel in the bedroom floor to do this.

From looking at my particular floor plan, I know I will need to remove the two mirrored wardrobe doors, remove the door track, and lift the bed. However, while I can see the outline of the carpet seam over the rectangular panel, it appears the panel disappears under the step up in the wardrobe. In addition it appears to remove the step up, I first need to remove the larger carpet-covered box that hides the power cord reel and tub.

I will get into this task soon but wanted to know if others had done this and what, if any, issues I might need to consider.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Mine is an Inspire 06 but I pulled the floor to get the valves done. Removed everything in the closet pulled the mirrors set in closet then pulled track. The hard part was getting a socket on the bolt heads through the carpet, I had 6 bolts wt about 40lbs. Then I used a 2x4 off a picking eye of the motor to push up on the floor. Then used tie wire on 2 corners for hand holds cleaned top of motor then laid it back down . Tied up the mirrors and went to Peterson Cat in Portland.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Mine is an Inspire 06 but I pulled the floor to get the valves done. Removed everything in the closet pulled the mirrors set in closet then pulled track. The hard part was getting a socket on the bolt heads through the carpet, I had 6 bolts wt about 40lbs. Then I used a 2x4 off a picking eye of the motor to push up on the floor. Then used tie wire on 2 corners for hand holds cleaned top of motor then laid it back down . Tied up the mirrors and went to Peterson Cat in Portland.
2 stroker
I have the large box in the driver's side of the closet that houses the electric cord reel. I looks like I will have to remove it. I can feel screws thru the carpet on that box.

I was told that the carpet covering the access panel was held on by Velcro and I could just pull the carpet off, exposing the bolt heads.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

I'll be interested to see how yours turns out. Two techs and a supervisor at Peterson CAT who were familiar with motor homes in general and Country Coach in particular could not figure out a practical way to remove the access panel, given the constraints of time and my wallet.

The solution in the end was to remove the air duct that crosses the top of the engine from the turbo to the air filter. Then they recruited the skinny mechanic to crawl in the engine compartment and do the valve adjustment.

They could of charged a lot more to cover the labor hours spent trying to get the panel out then the extra time to do the valve adjustment due to limited access. Kudos to Peterson CAT in Eugene, OR!

Keep us posted!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Mine looks nothing like this.
2 stroker
Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

mytime carpet was put down with staples..I was able to use a short pry bar and remove the carpet.. but if memory serves mean right you may not need to remove the carpet. .take out screws and remove the carpet with the floor. depending if you need access where the elec. cord box is located..you do not have to remove it to get the floor out. You are right about the doors and the threshold. good luck..
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Gary,
Will also be interested in how things work out. I have that large box also in my closet, but I do not have the Electrical Cord/Reel in that area. So I'm interested in what is also in that area. Keep us posted.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
OK, removed the panel today and it was not as difficult as expected. For anyone with CC similar to mine, here are the steps:

1. remove the two sliding wardrobe doors, lift off bottom track and tilt out at the bottom so doors clear the top channel.
2. remove the metal door track from floor and the 1/2" piece of wood under the track.
3. lift bed, prop up (my lift arms won't hold mine up now that we added the memory foam topper).
4. using thin pry bar or large flat screwdriver, pry up carpet-covered board over the hatch cover. This 1/2" plywood panel had carpet and padding stapled to it and was held to the hatch cover with three strips of velcro (actually I called my CC expert, Kevin Waite, on this and he said I would have to remove the carpet by pulling out the staples. He was wrong on this one).
5. remove 7 9/16" bolts to remove the cover. I installed a screen door handle but could not pull the cover off. I had to use a short piece of 2 x 4' between the engine valve cover and the bottom of the hatch to push it up.

So, now the folks at Cummins can extend the slides, lift the bed and remove the cover. Looking at the top of the engine, I think I found my pesky slow oil leak at the back of the valve cover. Wondering if that oil bathing all the fuel injection stuff, including the wiring, may be the cause of my new 'check engine' issue.

Pics below:

Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Gary
After looking at yours it does look like mine. Good to see you got it.
2 stroker
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #10

I had mine off a couple of weeks ago too, trying to troubleshoot the functionality of my Jacobs (Cummins) exhaust brake.

Interesting that my cover had a metal backing that was also covered by some sort of sound deadening mastic material as well. That sucker was heavy. I had a piece of 1.5 pvc pipe that was perfect for holding up the bed platform that now resides in the back of my closet for future use.

Kinda odd that they didn't make the hatch just a tad smaller to prevent the removal of the closet slider doors and track. Not that big a deal to remove, but not worth the extra inch of opening IMHO.

I seriously doubt SML, that the oil leak shown would throw a code...
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #11

Glad you figured it out!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
I had mine off a couple of weeks ago too, trying to troubleshoot the functionality of my Jacobs (Cummins) exhaust brake.

Interesting that my cover had a metal backing that was also covered by some sort of sound deadening mastic material as well. That sucker was heavy. I had a piece of 1.5 pvc pipe that was perfect for holding up the bed platform that now resides in the back of my closet for future use.

Kinda odd that they didn't make the hatch just a tad smaller to prevent the removal of the closet slider doors and track. Not that big a deal to remove, but not worth the extra inch of opening IMHO.

I seriously doubt SML, that the oil leak shown would throw a code...
I was surprised to discover that the hatch was plywood only. While it does have an automotive foil type insulation on the bottom, I thought it would be steel. The box below the bed on my Winnebago Journey was all steel and both the insulated engine access panels were steel. There is a thin (and sharp ) steel lip on the rear edge of the panel so maybe that covers the bottom of the ply under the insulation.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

Thanks for the update.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote