Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Cool towbar fo new Jeep Grand cherokee

We have a 2006 37' Country coach which we towed a Jeep Wrangler before, but we are looking to eliminate one vehicle and replace with wifes car and use as tow vehicle also. We are looking at a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, has anyone towed a new Grand cherokee? and what tow bar and bracket setup?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

alitten, I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2, tow bar, with Roadmaster plates, Air Force brake system. I have also pulled a Silverado pickup with it. The GC, has been pulled to AZ. and back with only one problem, the GC, man handles the Motor home on turns and when you pull out to pass another vehicle. I think it, (the MH) needs a track bar, to stop the rear end from being influenced by the Jeep.

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I was going to set up our '14 GC to tow but decided not to. I was going with the Roadmaster brackets as I think they are bulletproof. Any of the Roadmaster tow bars will work. The lowest rated is 6,000lbs and the top rated Blackhawk is rated for 10,000.

The '14 GC weighs in at almost 4600 so you would be safe with any bar.

I have the Limited with the hemi and so far, mileage average is 20MPG which I consider good for this weight of vehicle. The hemi also has plenty of giddy up
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't have a Grand Cherokee, just a Liberty. I have a Roadmaster Stowmaster (came with coach when I bought it). The setup is slick. Very easy to attached the Stowmaster to the Roadmaster EZ baseplate. I also use the Roadmaster Flexicoil 7 to 4 wire connector and the Roadmaster safety cables. This setup goes together so easily that I will always have Roadmaster. Plus it is 100% Made in America. I do not know about the other brands.

I suppose if the towbar had not been with the coach I would have considered BlueOx as well, but I am supper satisfied with Roadmaster.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #5

We have a 07 Allure and tow a 2012 Jeep G.C. with the Blue Ox system. We went with the Blue Ox is because once you disconnect or just driving the vehicle most of the equipment attached to the vehicle does not show. So far so good, no problems. We have had it for about 1 1/2 years now. The only thing I would do different is add the Air Brake for the vehicle. I went with the Blue Ox system and although it works as it should, I would rather have a different system.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #6

The Roadmaster EZ base plate also has the removable adapters that allow little to be seen when removed. The aux. brake system has more in sight than the baseplate. Either of these fine brands would be great for this application.

We just had the Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system installed today. What a great system. The Jeep brake starts to apply after the coach brakes are applied. They do not get applied immediately so that a very minor coach braking will not engage the Jeep brake. This is a great feature. Also the dash light is helpful to know when the Jeep brakes are applied. This system also has the break away feature.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a quick note from recent experience; Not all Jeep Grand Cherokee's can be towed. We traded our RWD Grand Cherokee because it could not be towed.

Rob
Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

I believe the Jeeps that cannot be towed are all 2 WD or Patriots or Compass, both of which have a different type of transfer case with AWD.

The Liberty, Wrangler and GC (4 WD models) can be flat towed since the transfer case can be shifted to Neutral. In order to do so with my Liberty I must turn the ignition key to the On/Run position without starting the engine. Press the brake pedal and shift the transmission to neutral. Hold down the Transfer Case Neutral button until the LED stops flashing and goes to full on Red. (You should hear the Transfer Case shift to neutral). Now the transfer case is in neutral. Check this by shifting the transmission to Drive or Reverse and attempting to move. Once you have verified the transfer case is in neutral, shift the transmission to Park and remove the key.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #9

Park...

What about the steering wheel?

Towing 4 down would be intetesting, on dolly ok...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I believe the Jeeps that cannot be towed are all 2 WD or Patriots or Compass, both of which have a different type of transfer case with AWD...............
There are some 4x4s that cannot be towed 4 down. It depends on the transfer case. Some of the early GC's with the hemi that cannot be towed 4 down. Best to read the owners manual and c hack for "recreational towing" or "towing behind a motorhome"
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We recently bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee and love it. Hemi engine has lots of power 20+ mpg. Blue ox towbar and brackets, air force 1 brake system and tow daddy plug and go light harness. I believe that all 4x4 Grand Cherokee unlimited, overlands and summits are towable 4 down the only one that is not is the base laredo.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Park...

What about the steering wheel?

Towing 4 down would be intetesting, on dolly ok...
Jeeps are towed in park for automatic transmissions and in gear for manuals.

There is no steering lock on newer Jeeps.

Rob
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I've had a Roadmaster Stowmaster but now have a Demco Dominator and I am very pleased with it.

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote