Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Towing 7k with 385hp Magna?

We're considering '98-02 Magnas that often come with 385hp Cats. We need to tow a toad that weighs about 7k pounds, and intend to explore the West. How is that combo likely to do?

Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
You probably won't even notice you're towing anything. Back in the 1950's and '60s, a UK relative of mine used to tow a quite heavy TT (I think about 1900 pounds) behind a 55 HP Austin Cambridge sedan with drum brakes and a 4-speed stick-shift.

They went all over Europe with that combo. Maybe they were on the slow side when crossing the Alps or the Dolomites (20 mph on a good day!) but they put probably 40,000 miles towing before they went for a "big" car (a 2-liter Austin!).

The low-end torque on your diesel will make short work of a 7,000 pound toad. It's probably less than 20% of the RV's weight, right? So you might only be doing 45 mph up some of the stiffer grades, but you'll still be out-running the commercial trucks.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
If you are concerned about towing, why not go for the C-12. It came in the Magna in 2001, but Affinitys had it since 1999. Go to Damon Rapozo's web site and his model history to tell you which model and year had which engine.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Well if you're traveling out here in the west, you'll know it is back there on the hills for sure. My Lexus weighs in at about 6.5k as equipt, and it is running on 35" tires that have a decent amount of rolling resistance. Climbing up out of the Phoenix area to say Flagstaff, I'm down to 45-50 on some of the longer and higher elevation grades. ie I'm right with the big trucks. Once your stuck, you should just send someone to the fridge to get a cool one as it could take a bit.

OTOH, are you really in that big a rush to get somewhere? ;-) There are always trade-offs in these decisions, so you'll have to weigh things out. Not sure if there are any uprate options for that Cat, might be worth investigating. I know I will for my Cummins ISC as I think there is a bit more she can safely put out and that the Allison can handle.

On relatively flat land, I have no issues maintaining the desired speed. Not sure how much more fuel I'm using vs. a similar coach with a bigger engine that is not working as hard.
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire Genoa - Cummins 350
1997 Lexus LX450 (aka Land Cruiser), Air Force One
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the C13, 525 HP on my Magna. I guess the added HP makes all the difference in the world. I went over the Blue Ridge mountains several times on different roads and with cruise, held about 50 mph while towing our Liberty. I am unsure what year they went to this engine and transmission combo.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
My little 300hp Cummins on a 31,000 lb coach has the same hill climb speed whether towing 5,000lbs or not.

Perhaps the bigger engines act the same way?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
We're considering '98-02 Magnas that often come with 385hp Cats. We need to tow a toad that weighs about 7k pounds, and intend to explore the West. How is that combo likely to do?
Towing 7k is not a problem with this rig. If I remember right, 10k hitch with 3k Allison Trani, lots of pulling power with that motor.

I would try to stay newer than 2000 CC, because of the IFS front end thou. The straight axle fronts needed lots of room to make that U turn.
rvbmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
We'll be retired, hence in no hurry.

Sounds like it will work.

Thanks for the replies.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Just one cation on towing. I ran into a gent that had a new used coach that the owner he bought it from had left the two bar on for him as part of the deal. The old owner towed a CRV, the new owner had Hummer H2 with mods - he estimated it was a bit above 7K pounds. (With the mod's, I would not be surprised that it was closer to 8K pounds!).

While the hitch was rated for 10K, the tow bar was not. He had never heard that tow bars had weight ratings associated to them.

Not a big deal, but just sharing this gents learning curve!

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing