Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #15

I looked carefully at a 2005 lx470. Based on my research including an owner that tows one, the Roadmaster base plate for the lx470 will work even though Roadmaster says only through 2002, they're all the same at least through 05. What I did discover however is that at least on the 05 to unlock the steering wheel some electrical things like the radio are still on in that position. Didn't look carefully to see what else . I assume you would have to either pull a fuse or you would have battery drain while Towing . My Excursion has a position where everything is off but the steering wheel is unlocked.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

Same with mine. I have not found it to be an issue, but I do have a second (house) battery that I can link to the starting one if needed. You could take the +12 that should be avail. on the coach's 7-pin and trickle charge the 470's battery while underway... Oh, and whatever brake system you put in will probably use juice too.

Post up some pics when you get it done! Which CC do you have?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #17

I have a 2002 Magna. I am trying to trade my 2005 Ford Excursion 6.08 4 x 4 for the Lexus. Have not worked out the deal with the dealer yet.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #18

Been a while since I have posted. I have two landcruisers set up to flat tow. A 1994 80 series, and a 2001 100 series. Both have manual transfer cases. If you can manually put the transfer case in neutral, I agree with others, you should be good to go. The transfer case is after the transmission in the drive train, and disconnects everything forward from the transfer case. The other nice thing about the Toyotas, is that the steering wheel will remain unlocked in the "off, or locked position" provided you do not remove the key. No need to keep the battery turned on in the accessory position.

Transfer case in Neutral
Transmission in Park
parking brake off
Unlock steering wheel, then return the key to the off position, LEAVE THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. CONFIRM THAT THE STEERING WHEEL IS STILL UNLCOCKED.

Just to make sure that the transfer case is being properly lubed, I will also every few hundred miles start the engine to spin the transfer case from the transmission input shaft side.

Hope this helps.

John.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #19

Hmm that does help. Never thought about trying with the key left in. There sure is a resounding thunk when you pull the key out.

I think that folks get worried as Toyota says no, and then others worry about the pump that is in the 80 and at least pre 2004 TC's. Gears and bearings still get bathed as they rotate.

Well, if it fails before 400k then I'll know it was a bad idea! ��
Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #20

Well I picked up my 2005 lx470 today. Lexus checked it out and said it's in very good shape with a few minor things. 150k miles. Base plates coming from Roadmaster on Friday along with adapter ends for my Blue Ox tow bar. I was not looking forward to installing my Brakemaster auxiliary air braking system that I pulled off my Excursion. I spoke to Chris Slee today and he said be careful because the Lexus has some kind of electronic braking system. He also said that he has a somewhat lighter duty diesel pusher motorhome than my Country Coach and has not found an auxiliary braking system to really be really necessary. When I towed my Excursion it was a nice thing to have on very steep hills, but that weighed almost 8 thousand pounds empty. What are you people using for an auxiliary braking system?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #21

Air Force 1, but it was by default as that is what the PO had installed and from what I gather not a bad choice. Seems to work well and is just a quick airline connection.

Guess it depends somewhat which area of the country you plan on towing in, but out here in the west I wouldn't tow her without aux braking. I won't go down the legal rabbit hole as that is your decision.

Not sure about the Lexus specific brake requirements either. Seems like if you have vacuum for the booster you should be good. Slee knows their stuff though too...

Good luck, we're all counting on you!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 PM   #22

My 05 470 has a form of Hydro Boost not vacuum. Don't know what other years I have it.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #23

Hmm, never thought about the hydroboost angle. Yeah, that would make a big difference. Uh, don't know what to say other than let the engine idle. j/k
Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 AM   #24

Ok here we go. I have a 2002 LX470 that I have been towing behind a 2005 HR Navigator for over 5 years. It has been towed for over 60,000 miles. Absolutely no problems. Key must be left in , in the off position. If you pull the key it will lock the steering. Regarding the brakes. If using a Brake Buddy or similar keep air pressure at 20psi. Any more and you will lock up the brakes and flat spot the tires. As I did once. So transfer case in neutral, trains in park, key left in ignition. That is it easiest vehicle I have ever towed. A bit heavy so should have a big diesel pusher. Call me at 805-748-3257 if you need more assurance
Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #25

Here is a shot of an 80 and at least up to a '03 100 transfer case with the rear housing removed to convert it to part time instead of full time. Essentially just removing the viscous coupler. The large gear on the right goes to the rear driveshaft and is being turned while underway. The smaller gear to the left with the slot is what drives the internal oil pump, so I was wrong in my assumption earlier that the pump was driven off the shaft at the upper top left which is the backside of the transmission input.

So, there we have it folks, there is absolutely no reason that a 80 or early 100 series Land Cruiser or LX can't be flat towed.

I will update this thread soon, as a friend of mine (who took this pic of his 80) is also converting a 2006 LX to part time. He said the kit is the same, so it sounds like the TC is also the same.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #26

Transfer case question

That's a pretty beefy looking transfer case. You think that the transfer case is the same through 05? Monday or Tuesday is the big day. Will be towing the 470 for 1100 miles.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #27

Thanks John.

Tags
tow, towing