Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Towing Lexus LX 470?

Anyone tow a Lexus LX 470? What years? Any special equipment needed? Driveshaft disconnect? Speed limitations. Regardless of what Lexus says, 2 CC owners tell me pre 2009 with manual transfer case in neutral no problem.

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Check out this site for good tow information: Remco : The Towing Experts
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are an FMCA member you can check your specific year here:
Towing Guides | Family Motor Coaching magazine
But if you are a pre 2009 I don't know if the guides go that far and it sounds like you may be looking for specific owner experience, which I don't have.
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Anyone tow a Lexus LX 470? What years? Any special equipment needed? Driveshaft disconnect? Speed limitations. Regardless of what Lexus says, 2 CC owners tell me pre 2009 with manual transfer case in neutral no problem.

Rich 2002 Magna
IF it has a manual transfer case, you should be able to do it. I towed a 2002 Nissan Frontier 4WD that had a manual transfer case. Although it didn't say anything in the manual that it can be flat towed, but I did for several years.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

I have a GX 470 that I would love to tow. I just can't find someone that has done it. I wonder what makes the GX and LX different other than body style?
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I have a GX 470 that I would love to tow. I just can't find someone that has done it. I wonder what makes the GX and LX different other than body style?
I cannot say for sure but my research shows if you have a manual transfer case with a neutral you should be good to go.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
A lot.

Without getting too far into the weeds, GX is based on the Prado or 4Runner platform, the LX is a Land Cruiser. Bigger, beefier, used to be more offroad capable.

I tow a LX450 which if you go by Toyota's recommendations, can't be towed. I'm sure that the LX470 is the same. Both are full time 4wd with a select-able transfer case between hi, neutral and low range. (Not sure on the GX) There is a viscous coupling between the front and rear outputs of the TC that needs to be cooled by an internal oil pump that is only being driven from the transmission while underway. So, if you were to put the front or rear wheels on a dolly, or have a tow truck lift and pull, the VC would overheat.

THAT SAID, if all four wheels are rotating at the same speed, ie four down, no problemo.

I had to have my base plate custom built as there are no companies that make them, at least for the 450. (The last true Land Cruiser that Toyota shipped to the US. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	125948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	125949  

Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
A lot.

Without getting too far into the weeds, GX is based on the Prado or 4Runner platform, the LX is a Land Cruiser. Bigger, beefier, used to be more offroad capable.

I tow a LX450 which if you go by Toyota's recommendations, can't be towed. I'm sure that the LX470 is the same. Both are full time 4wd with a select-able transfer case between hi, neutral and low range. (Not sure on the GX) There is a viscous coupling between the front and rear outputs of the TC that needs to be cooled by an internal oil pump that is only being driven from the transmission while underway. So, if you were to put the front or rear wheels on a dolly, or have a tow truck lift and pull, the VC would overheat.

THAT SAID, if all four wheels are rotating at the same speed, ie four down, no problemo.

I had to have my base plate custom built as there are no companies that make them, at least for the 450. (The last true Land Cruiser that Toyota shipped to the US. )
Thanks, Oilbrnr. That is the best information and explanation I have seen. So you believe the 470 has the same set up with the viscous coupling? It has only a locking center differential by the way and there is a switch for that. They did away with the locking rear that I think you have.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #9

I have both front and rear factory lockers. You have a 100 series, and I *think* the rear locker was an option on the LC's not sure about the LX's as they went to more of the brake operated pseudo lockers and air suspension.

I'm in a very active Land Cruiser group here in Phoenix, so I'll post up on the board to get feedback about the transfer case. My bet it is the same bulletproof unit that my 80 has.

Just remember, they are heavy little piggies to tow! That fully boxed frame and other accoutrements add up quick!

100's are great units, with much more power than I have, and equally as hard to find someone willing to sell theirs. It is pretty amazing. I've had several guys come up to me at a gas station and think that the Lexus logo on the front is a joke or that I fab up the grill.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #10

Thanks. Please let me know what they say about the later model 100's. This is a 2005 LX 470 I am looking at. I am having weird stuff about baseplates for it. Roadmaster lists theirs for 1999 to 2002. Blue Ox up to 2004. Makes no sense. But I know one person who tows his 2005 with I believe Roadmaster base plates.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #11

Surprisingly I've not got much input from the group yet. Probably because the transfer cases on these rarely if ever have issues! There are instances I've read where the viscous coupler has failed, seizing, which essentially is like engaging the center diff lock switch.

I'll keep digging, in the mean time if you're interested here is a link to the thread:

80 vs. 100 series TCases - Flat towing question | Page 2 | IH8MUD Forum

You can see the exploded TC diagram that I posted for the 80 series which I believe to have been used in the 100's up until 2003, at which time the 5 speed transmission was introduced. Prior to that, the same 4 speed from the 80 was used.

Might help you to visualize what is going on in there.

And yeah, the base plate is a conundrum. I'm trying to visualize what that 470 looks like in front and how easy it is to get to the frame rails. If you're in a major metro area, I would think you could have a place custom fab it for you, just like I did here in Phoenix. Blue Ox sells the attachment points 'loose' so you can create your own connection.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #12

I read those. The diagram is over my head, but I understand the explanation. 4 wheels down, no stress on viscous.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

I keep getting conflicting information depending on who I talk to. It makes me nervous to try it.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
I keep getting conflicting information depending on who I talk to. It makes me nervous to try it.
Well, the bottom line for me is whether or not you have a manually operated transfer case. ie you're grabbing a physical lever and can select the neutral position. If she'll roll freely with the TC in N and transmission in park, then you're good to go. Now if you have a electronically activated H, L, N selection for the TC, then you'd have to come up with some way of making sure it stays in neutral as you tow. (key will have to be 'on' anyway to unlock the steering column, not necc. enough to cause the electronics to work however. Just not sure on the GX)

Some mentioned in my other thread that Toyota went to a Torsen style center differential around 2005. Again, even if that is the case, as long as all four tires are rotating at the same rate, there should not be any worries.

Your bigger problem is going to be coming up with a baseplate IMHO.

Tags
tow, towing