Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Trip to Alaska in my 2000 CC: Spare parts?

I'm heading up to Alaska for a 35 day caravan with my 2000 model year CC Magna MH and I'm wondering what spare parts would be prudent to take with me. Though 16 years old my MH is in great condition with just over 55k miles on it, new tires and continuous and comprehensive maintenance. What spare parts would you think it prudent to take besides all the various filters (fuel, oil, coolant), a couple gallons of oil and coolant and a fresh drive belt for my Caterpillar C10 diesel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would take enough oil and filters to do one oil change on your coach and generator, plus a set of all belts, some fuses and a windshield repair kit!

I hope your caravan is not leaving before the big thaw next year as it is really too late to trek off now!

One last note, we made the trip to Alaska in 2009 and needed to be back in Texas in 45 days. 45 days was way too short! We are headed back in 2017 and plan to be gone at least 60 days and hopefully 90 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
I'm heading up to Alaska for a 35 day caravan with my 2000 model year CC Magna MH and I'm wondering what spare parts would be prudent to take with me. Though 16 years old my MH is in great condition with just over 55k miles on it, new tires and continuous and comprehensive maintenance. What spare parts would you think it prudent to take besides all the various filters (fuel, oil, coolant), a couple gallons of oil and coolant and a fresh drive belt for my Caterpillar C10 diesel?

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

maybe 5-gal fuel just in case? assume you would always refill in upper 1/2 tank.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Hi Tim

Can't answer your specific question. Having made numerous trips to Alaska, don't worry about it. Buddy's Garage in Soldotna can handle any chassis issue you have. In Whitehorse and Fairbanks and Anchorage there are dealers for Cat, as well as Ft St John. House systems may be more limited, but there are repair facilities in Whitehorse, Anchorage and Fairbanks.

You list a location as Socal, so take I5 to Eugene and go to Junction City to Oregon Motor Coach or CC or Premier or Kevin Waite and consult them. It would be worth a day or so for a comprehensive inspection.

We have been doing it for many years in a TT or 5th and the spare parts have been limited to a credit card. With the new coach we will have specific spares but not too worried about the destination, just the distance. Drive at the speed the road wants, watch for the little red flags, slow down, and it is often quite slow west of Whitehorse. If a towed, get rid of the hanggy downy rock flipper rigid rubber advertising banner in the rear. Your suspension has 8" movement and that thing has 4", so guess what. Rocks and crud all over the towed. Seen that a lot. Have a great trip, and leave early enough to see the snow and ice in Banff and Jasper and the Icefields Parkway.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

Hey there Tim. It is hard to predict what could be needed on an adventure like that. Spare filters especially fuel filters would be prudent to take along. I am not sure about that much oil as 15q/40 is available basically anywhere, but, take a gallon at least for whatever reason. Coolant maybe more important. Maybe take a case. If a hose blows you can rig it and fill it and get to a shop. If an oil pan gets cracked, you aren't rigging that in most cases. Although, jb weld does wonders if you can clean crack and then you have others in the caravan to help.

Anyway, have a good comprehensive chassis and get service. Grease, check wheel seals, all fresh oil and filters. Pack what you may thing you need and relax and enjoy the trip. No matter how much stuff you may bring whatever goes wrong, you won't have with you LOL, just kidding.

My girl and I are planning a trip with the rv next summer to go to Ak. I would love to hear details on the trip. We met another couple this summer at a local cg and they took a trip with a caravan all over us and mexico. Sounds really awesome.

Safe travels!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #6

It's probably too late for this but whenever I change out my belts and spark plugs & SP wires I always keep the old belts and plug wires to use as emergency spare parts in the event of problems such as a premature part failure. It doesn't cost anything and it's good insurance to have those parts on hand.

Steve

PS in May and June I took a 2 month road trip from Arizona to Alaska and back in my 2005 Dodge Caravan. In +12,000 miles the only problem I had was a flat tire and it was only a problem because it happened Saturday night on a side trip to Skagway where there was no place to get it fixed on Sunday. I finally purchased a tire plugging kit and fixed it myself.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Hi Tim

Can't answer your specific question. Having made numerous trips to Alaska, don't worry about it. Buddy's Garage in Soldotna can handle any chassis issue you have. In Whitehorse and Fairbanks and Anchorage there are dealers for Cat, as well as Ft St John. House systems may be more limited, but there are repair facilities in Whitehorse, Anchorage and Fairbanks.

You list a location as Socal, so take I5 to Eugene and go to Junction City to Oregon Motor Coach or CC or Premier or Kevin Waite and consult them. It would be worth a day or so for a comprehensive inspection.

We have been doing it for many years in a TT or 5th and the spare parts have been limited to a credit card. With the new coach we will have specific spares but not too worried about the destination, just the distance. Drive at the speed the road wants, watch for the little red flags, slow down, and it is often quite slow west of Whitehorse. If a towed, get rid of the hanggy downy rock flipper rigid rubber advertising banner in the rear. Your suspension has 8" movement and that thing has 4", so guess what. Rocks and crud all over the towed. Seen that a lot. Have a great trip, and leave early enough to see the snow and ice in Banff and Jasper and the Icefields Parkway.
Left my Monaco rubber drag somewhere near Watson Lake at a rest area.....maybe still there ? And that was 15 years ago now !

Tags
parts