Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
I too have the Hurricane and found this video helpful for diagnosing the problems. But as you have stated the system should shut off when the thermostat temp has been attained, mine does. This video will give you the correct way and location for cause and affect for your problem. My remote switch is located in my dinning area and when turned on will cycle through each of my 3 thermostats only when they call for heat at the Hurricane control panel. My system now works as New.

Great video thank you!
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If the Hurricane works anything like an Aqua Hot, even though your thermostat is no longer calling for heat, the diesel burner still has to fire up occasionaly to keep the tank of boiler fluid up to temperature.
This way it is ready to supply heat, or hot water.
No, that is not how the Hurricane works. It only comes on when there is a demand from thermostat. It is quite different in it's design than an Aquahot.

Rich
Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
good news - my hurricane system is indeed working as designed now. obviously rich hit the nail on the head, the reheostat in wet bay was set too high calling hurricane to keep running. the scale on the rheostat may not be accurate. i'll tweak it to set at 35 actual degrees.

now i just let it do the job automatically no need to manually turn it on/off any more. thank you all for your help. phew, i am learning every day!
Way to go!

Rich
Old 02-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
No, that is not how the Hurricane works. It only comes on when there is a demand from thermostat. It is quite different in it's design than an Aquahot.

Rich
I see!

So, the Hurricane system is only for coach heating, and not hot water?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I see!

So, the Hurricane system is only for coach heating, and not hot water?
you are correct. hurricane heats coolant circulating to heat coach, maybe a tiny heating to water heater when coolant goes through the coil around it, but that isn't its purpose (when engine is running, the coolant does heat up water in atwood water heater. it runs on propane.)
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #20

Just an interesting comparison. Our 2000 CC Magna has a completely different setup. It has a Webasto diesel boiler and separate circulation pumps located various places around the coach. (One up front, one in the bay, one in the compartment with the Webasto and one on the engine). It also has the wet bay freeze protection control. And the on/off controls for the system are right by my pillow ! I have to have both zones on the main thermostat set to "Heat" in order for the interior heat exchangers to run. But I can turn the system off at night if I want and back on again in the morning while laying in bed. As long as the Central Heat control is turned on, the freeze protection circuit in the bay is actuated along with one of the three pumps.

Same year coach, different set up.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #21
Community Moderator

interesting to know so different!
these are on above entrance:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_214450.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	193966  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #22

You could add remote wireless controlled relays to the switches on you heater controls. You will need to figure out the wiring for your system. I've used these for my water pump and water fill board.

As a word of caution, my 2000 Magna has a Hurricane and the electrical schematic is not correct. At least not when it comes to the switches for the furnace and heat exchangers. Contrary to the schematic, my heat exchangers can be turned on independently from the furnace. This allows me to set the thermostat to furnace and heat the coach, without the furnace being turned on, with engine coolant while running down the road. Upon inspection of the wiring at the switches it appears my plumbing bay thermostat is powered when the heat exchangers are turned on so that the bay can be heated while going down the road.

To continue comparison with these systems, my Magna, #5892, has the Hurricane furnace with only two pumps. One pump near the furnace in the last bay on the passenger side and one pump in the electrical bay. My control panel is beside the passenger side nightstand so I can, if the thermostat is set to furnace, turn on my heat while laying in bed.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do have an occsional issue with this device but as an Electronics Technician by training and certification,. .....

I needed a remote control for one of my slideouts.. I may, some day, use hard wired (Would work better) but not now. I found a 4 channel Remote at allelectronics dot com.. I did have an issue with it, and still do (it sometimes locks up on me and I have to cycle power to it to reset it) but it basically does what I need it to do.

Can be push/push On/Off or (On)/Off (means on only so long as you hold the button)

problem is it will sometimes LOCK on even when I did not push the remote button but used the master hard wired switch. SHOULD NOT DO THAT.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #24
Community Moderator

i have seen that kind of remotes on ebay too. i am using a one channel unit for my backup camera on/off, pretty good.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #25

I couldn't understand the on-and-off of the heat exchange blowers of my Aqua Hot. So, I asked my AH guy, Lloyd DeGerald of Arkansas. He said the heat exchange blowers won't start unless the system's fluid is up to a certain temp. Normally, this gets accomplished by driving or by turning on the AH 120V heat element when on shore power. However, when the temps outside are cold for a long time, the electric element can't make the fluid hot enough. Then, he said, I must turn on the water heating switch, which activates its "boiler". He said during cold times, it's better to leave the water heater on. I don't like its noise or using electricity; but it does make the coach stay above 64 or so.

Thank you for the wet bay rheostat tip. Mine's numbers are long gone; but I will temporarily install a wireless remote refrigerator thermometer and see what's what.
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
He said the heat exchange blowers won't start unless the system's fluid is up to a certain temp.
don't know exactly about aquahot. on my hurricane system the blowers start at the same time when the furnace is on called up by room thermostat. i wish the blowers could wait until the coolant temp up.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
" i wish the blowers could wait until the coolant temp up."

All you have to do is not turn on the fan controllers. The unit will heat up without them being on and it will take less time to do so. Once the burner cycles off, then turn on the fans.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
" i wish the blowers could wait until the coolant temp up."

All you have to do is not turn on the fan controllers. The unit will heat up without them being on and it will take less time to do so. Once the burner cycles off, then turn on the fans.
now i leave it to run automatically for the night while we sleep. it starts and stops on its own per bedroom temp. that was what i noticed that the blowers kicked in as soon as the hurriance heater started. when i manually turn it on, i'll have a delay on the blowers for sure.

Tags
heat, heater, remote