Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TV Replacement Question

Well the 37" Sharp TV in the front of our coach died tonite. It just went nuts, started clicking and quit (no picture).

I am curious if any of my fellow CC owners have replaced one of these and any suggestions for replacements that fit the existing opening without modifications. We just arrived in Myrtle Beach today and I am hoping I can get one of the mobile RV services to come and do the grunt work. I've had this TV down once so I am familiar with how it is mounted in the opening. I am thinking I can get a 40" or 42" model to fit there even if it does not fit flush in the opening. DW and I would simply do this ourselves but we are familiar with how heavy the very sturdy wooden surround is with the TV in it. Plus, my extended warranty should cover the cost above my deductible.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only thing I can offer is a recommendation on a Mobile RV tech. Camping Connections. I've used them in Fl and Myrtle Beach.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The only thing I can offer is a recommendation on a Mobile RV tech. Camping Connections. I've used them in Fl and Myrtle Beach.
Actually, that is who I plan to call first. We will be a Willow Tree beginning tomorrow thru Saturday, then at Ocean Lakes thru Dec. 14. I am not sure Camping Connections will come to Willow Tree but DW wants her TV. If we have to wait until we get to OL, so be it. We still have the bedroom TV.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

We had Coastal Rv in Myrtle Beach come repair our slide. Allan Street. Great guy and knew his stuff. We just put a 32" tv in our 04 CC Allure.
My husband did a great job. You can see it on my blog. www.livingtheartistsdream.com
Even found a stain to match our wood.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedegis View Post
We had Coastal Rv in Myrtle Beach come repair our slide. Allan Street. Great guy and knew his stuff. We just put a 32" tv in our 04 CC Allure.
My husband did a great job. You can see it on my blog. www.livingtheartistsdream.com
Even found a stain to match our wood.
Coastal RV is who the folks here at Willow Tree recommended. They are coming out tomorrow AM to call my extended warranty company and replace the TV. We took some careful measurements today and got a 40" LED Samsung to replace the old Sharp. It will not fill the existing opening top to bottom so I will plan to do any necessary trim work after we get home. For now, DW wants the TV going .
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

Excellent. You will be pleased with them!!
Sheila
Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine I removed some screws and took the face trim off,

Then I took ye-old tape measure and ... Measured

Then I went shopping.. Found a pawn shop with a Dynex that was the exact same width (Since I was replacing an old CRT unit with a new wide screen I knew it was not going to fit like a glove,, NOTE: I was doing an upgrade, not a replacement of failed unit)

Made the mods to the cabinet, You need to look close to see it's not factory.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #8

My 98 Intrigue still has the 1998 style TV's in them. My front one is starting to show signs of its age. So I see a modification coming soon. The 13" in the bedroom is still working just fine. I may just go to a pawn shop and pick up another CRT type TV and toss the old one in the trash.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
TV was replaced today and DW is happy . My ESP covered all but my deductible of course. The new 40" Samsung fit perfect side-to-side in the existing enclosure but we now have about a 5 1/2" tall space below the TV open. So now need to decide what to do with that space. Options we have considered:

1. Do an upside-down chop on it and basically move the bottom up to meet the TV. That would involve some custom cabinet work but we are not in any hurry to go that route.

2. Leave the space as is with a bit of cleanup. CC did a great job of finishing the inside of the cabinet which I thought odd. There is one piece of hardwood in the back center that, if stained with cherry stain, would blend in with the rest of the wood.

3. Do #2 above, put a lip on the lower edge and use it to store small stuff (DW does not like that idea).

4. Get a TV sound bar and put it in the space.

5. Close up the space with some attractive speaker cloth or grill material.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #10

Build a ball bearing supported drawer in there.

The drawer supports can be full extension and clever design of drawer would allow slides to be in groves to reduce wasted space and be stronger.

Drawer front to match rest of woodwork and remotes and other items go there.

Not too expensive and minimal risk of damaging existing stucture as you are not cutting it (the reducing option)
Old 11-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

On my older rig, I used the space below the TV to house my Direct TV DVR.

But.....I had no other good place for the DVR.

Speaker cloth is a good inexpensive way to block out the gap. but it likely will not resist any weight sliding against it from behind.

You could put the sound bar behind speaker cloth to create a finished appearance?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

sound bar / bluray might look good there.

when i did upgrade, i took the bulky frame out altogether then mounted the new tv flush. the lower edge of 32" is exactly in line with the bottom of cabinets.

in this thread i had more pics at #6 Add Flat Screen to spot where old TV used to be
Old 11-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I choose option 1 but the sound bar sounds interesting.

If the floor of the compartment is flat you could install drawers for DVD storage (or CD storage) My long term plan calls for putting the TV on a hinge so I can swing it out ( a pinned latch so it won't swing by accident) and putting storage behind it.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
TV was replaced today and DW is happy . My ESP covered all but my deductible of course. The new 40" Samsung fit perfect side-to-side in the existing enclosure but we now have about a 5 1/2" tall space below the TV open. So now need to decide what to do with that space. Options we have considered:

1. Do an upside-down chop on it and basically move the bottom up to meet the TV. That would involve some custom cabinet work but we are not in any hurry to go that route.

2. Leave the space as is with a bit of cleanup. CC did a great job of finishing the inside of the cabinet which I thought odd. There is one piece of hardwood in the back center that, if stained with cherry stain, would blend in with the rest of the wood.

3. Do #2 above, put a lip on the lower edge and use it to store small stuff (DW does not like that idea).

4. Get a TV sound bar and put it in the space.

5. Close up the space with some attractive speaker cloth or grill material.
There are some very cool ways to cover that are with a nice piece of matching wood with some router work done too it.

Tags
replace, replacement