Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

TV replacement suggestion

I am looking to replace both the front and rear TVs in my 06 inspire 40' has anyone else already done this who could recommend a make and model tv that will fit well? Can't he existing mount for the front tv be used on the new one?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been recommended to not try and fit a new TV to the custom wood frame but instead consider mounting on the outside of the frame with a larger TV. Guess newer TV's are so thin and have different dimensions so it makes sense. I am looking at this myself for our 2008 inspire 40'. Not yet sure that's what I want to do.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

TV Replacement

I replaced the TV's in both the front and rear of my 2005 Inspire.
The 39" Vizio fits almost perfect in the front existing TV cutout. You can use the existing steel mounting plate, although you will have to drill new holes in the plate for the Vizio. It will also need to be spaced out about 11/2", this is easily done. A little molding around the new install makes it look as good, or better, than the original install.
In the back I installed a 26" Samsung and mounted a DVD player above the TV. The new setup only takes up about 4" of the existing cabinet, so the cabinet is reclaimed for linens and other stuff.
See attached pic.
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doing it now.. I can not recommend a make and model, but I CAN recommend a procedure.

I fit to width (Since with modern wide screens fitting the hole is impossibe)

Started by measuring width (Total) of existing CRT beamouth.

Went to store with measuring tape

Found one that fit..... exactly

Bought it
Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Experience

I've done several of these installs and each one has been, shall we say, unique?

In my own coach I did a surface mount of a 37" LG with a dual arm swingarm mount rated for 150 pounds in the front and a 26" Visio behind the cabinet bezel on a simple tilting mount. I documented it here if you need details.

My most recent install was to add a piano hinge to the front cabinet bezel, with dual latches and a safety cable so it doesn't come open while traveling and whack the driver in the side of the head. A simple piece of 3/4 ply was mounted to the back of the bezel and the TV was mounted on that. The space left at the bottom due to the different aspect ratio of the TV was filled with a simple wood frame covered with black speaker cloth. It turned out nicer than I expected and was one of the least expensive options.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

One little note I discovered when I replaced one is the viewing angle. I bought a flat screen at Costco made an adapter and filler and installed. When I laid on the bed the image changed on the tv. I had to modify the bracket to get an angle on the tv. I noticed later some sets didn't have the same problem. At the store look at the screen from different angles like it would be in the coach.
Rod
Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

Something else to keep in mind. Some TVs won't work correctly if you use a Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter. I installed a 32" Visio and it won't work. If I want to watch TV while traveling (not driving the MH), I have to fire up the generator or convert to a Pure Sine Wave (PSW) inverter to make it functional. Additional food for thought.... Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced a 27 CRT Zenith with a 32 Sony Bravia. The width was just about perfect.

I was in Costco the other day and noticed a TV (cant recall brand) that had a verrrry small frame. It would add probably a couple inches of viewing without increasing the frame size. Not sure what sizes they come in as the DW saw my interest and steered me back to buying essentials. "But Dear" I said "that is could be essential" LOL
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced my 25" CRT TV with a 32" JVC LED. I love it. It weighs only 8 lbs. I did make a new faceframe, but it does fit in the original box. I put a sound bar below the TV and a Sub-woofer behind it, (lots of space back there).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404341344.155066.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	66731

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #10

Try pic again

I'll try the pic again.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am going to head to best buy with my tape measure and see if I can't find something close. I like the speaker cloth idea to mask any gaps that might be left.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New JVC 48" HD TV in Front

We just finished our upgrade! A new JVC 48" LED. Very light weight. We ended up taking the original cherry cabinet frame out all together and making a custom mount with aluminum "angle iron" from HomeDepot. Just created a template and drilled holes in the aluminum and tightened the screws through the access hole left underneath. I used locktite blue on the machine bolts. We routed a new HDMI cable as well. The JVC TV had a shape in back that made it inset perfectly into the space left by removing the original frame. Could not have planned it better.

One upside was the taller field of vision through the windshield that was previously blocked by the bulk of the original frame. The TV is also set back into the cabinets more so I might bonk my head at least a few times less. All in all we are happy.
20140711_203230 by TobiasSanDiego1, on Flickr

20140711_214924 by TobiasSanDiego1, on Flickr

20140711_220115 by TobiasSanDiego1, on Flickr
Old 07-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I think I may have made a mistake. I bought a cheap Sony at Wally World 42" ( I think ). A tight fit flush mounted to the enclosure surface between the two side cabinets. To compensate for the gap at the bottom I added a sound bar. All in all it looks good.
My mistake? I had read that the dramatic temperature swings in storage from winter colds to hot summer days were harmful to LED and plasma HDTV. So I bought the cheapest, and extended warranty, at the most common retailer possible. 4 years now and not one issue. Just a marginal quality picture compared to the ones at home. Wish I had bought a better quality set.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I think I may have made a mistake. I bought a cheap Sony at Wally World 42" ( I think ). A tight fit flush mounted to the enclosure surface between the two side cabinets. To compensate for the gap at the bottom I added a sound bar. All in all it looks good.
My mistake? I had read that the dramatic temperature swings in storage from winter colds to hot summer days were harmful to LED and plasma HDTV. So I bought the cheapest, and extended warranty, at the most common retailer possible. 4 years now and not one issue. Just a marginal quality picture compared to the ones at home. Wish I had bought a better quality set.

The JVC we put in was the cheapest I could find for the size. Got it as Costco. Easy to replace as well given the new installation technique. Also, we left a half inch gap at the top and about 3/4 inch gap on the top sides with rubber feet setting it off from the cabinet.

Tags
replace, replacement