Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

Using the air in my brake system to pump up tires

I have a 2007 Inspire. I was trying to add air to my tires using the air fitting in the front of the coach, but did not seem to be getting enough pressure to fill the tires. I had the engine running when I was attempting this so as to keep the tanks pumped up. The one tire I was attempting to fill had 60 lbs pressure in it. I looked through the manual but nothing there was helpful. Is there a way of adjusting the pressure coming out of the air system, and am I missing something here.

Thanks in advance,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
These videos will explain it --

How To Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - TheRVgeeks

UPDATE: High Pressure RV Tire Inflation - TheRVgeeks
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Save yourself a lot of frustration and go to Lowes and buy a 150 # porter-cable compresser to haul in basement.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

I have a portable 150 psi compressor at home, but that is 900 miles away! I didn't bring it because I was trying to save room in my basement. Next time I be sure and pack it, but for now I'm trying to use what is available to me.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I can inflate to 100 psi using the onboard compressor. Trick is to release air tank pressure to to point when you hear the compressor kick on. The tires will only inflate while the compressor is actually running. Once it stops, need to reduce tank pressure again and restart compressor. Takes about 4/5 times to get the tire pressure up there. Never got it to increase above 100. I have a guage attached to the air chuck.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
try purchasing a viair 450P compressor and kit on amazon. It is 12 volt has everything you need to fill your tires up to 150psi and it comes in a convenient kit and DOES NOT take up more room than a computer bag. Click on the link below

Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automati...rds=viair+450p
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

I also have the Viair compressor mentioned above. It does a much better job than the portable 125# compressor that I previously used and is MUCH quieter. Not cheap, but I would still recommend it.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since your stuck at this point, simply have someone in the drivers seat to watch the air pressure gauge.
You only want to try to inflate when the gauge reads higher than your current tire pressure.

If the tank pressure is too low, have the person pump the brakes to get the compressor to kick in.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Save yourself a lot of frustration and go to Lowes and buy a 150 # porter-cable compresser to haul in basement.
I got a Coleman tank unit at Lowes for about $100. Works great.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpete1961 View Post
I was trying to add air to my tires using the air fitting in the front of the coach, but did not seem to be getting enough pressure to fill the tires. I had the engine running when I was attempting this so as to keep the tanks pumped up. The one tire I was attempting to fill had 60 lbs pressure in it. I looked through the manual but nothing there was helpful. Is there a way of adjusting the pressure coming out of the air system, and am I missing something here.

Thanks in advance,
You have no easy way to adjust the engine compressor air pressure.

It is likely set to cut out at about 120psi.

I found that once the compressor cut out (you hear the air relief valve) very little air passes into the tire, especially at higher psi levels inside the tire.

I also found that starting from 50 psi, it would take a long, long time to get to 100 psi. (My irritated neighbor indicated it was way too long.)

Once the relief valve was heard, I removed the air hose from the tire valve and depressed the nozzle on the hose to release air from the rig's system. Stepping on the brake pedal does the same thing.

While the compressor was recovering to 120 psi, the air hose was on the tire valve and inflation progressed. (I am not sure why I think this worked.)

This seemed to work and eventually I could get to 105 psi in the tire.

In my experience a camp chair would be a good additional piece of equipment for this process. Just get enough air into the tire to drive safely to a truck stop.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
try purchasing a viair 450P compressor and kit on amazon. It is 12 volt has everything you need to fill your tires up to 150psi and it comes in a convenient kit and DOES NOT take up more room than a computer bag. Click on the link below

Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Automati...rds=viair+450p
X2 on the VIAIR. This would be my choice.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #12

My front tires requires 120psi, I use my onboard air. It just takes a little practice.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post

Good luck

Amazon.com: VIAIR 450P Automatic Function Portable Compressor: Automotive
I just checked out that compressor. It said engine must be running during use. Is this so it dosent drain the batteries down?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I just checked out that compressor. It said engine must be running during use. Is this so it dosent drain the batteries down?
Yes, but the instructions were written for a car. An RV plugged in is another story. You could plug into the house batteries without issue, as you could with your chassis batteries depending on your charging setup.

Tags
brake, tires