Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
The only way to fully check U joints is to remove the drive shaft. Leaving the shaft in will not readily show a problem.
You are absolutely correct. To fully check the driveshaft I would have pulled it and inspected tip to tale. My inspection was a simple look at all 4 caps on each u-joint looking for any sign of slop. Each leg of the u-joint appeared to fit snugly and symmetrically in their respective caps. There was no sign of grease being slung. To be sure that I didn't possibly have a dry u-joint I gave them a turn with the grease gun and didn't get more than 3-4 squeezes before they were full.

I don't believe it is/was a u-joint wear/damage issue.

I am leaning toward the probability that my "Travel" mode did not engage properly when I left the campground. Why? Because on the trip to the campground I had none of the vibration. The vibration began almost immediately after I departed the campground headed home. I did two things when I stopped and one of those two immediately "fixed" the issue. One was adding 500lbs of fuel up front and the other was a reset of the leveling system. One of those two cured the vibration 100%. Being new to this RV I wrongfully assumed that it had leveled properly when I got the "Travel" light. Maybe it did and maybe it didn't....evidence is gone now. If indeed that is what happened I will insure that it does not happen again. Future walk around inspections will include a close look at ride height.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #16

Pretty sure the issue was caused by your travel mode not working properly or not engaged. Our travel mode comes on any time we start the coach, but it is a good idea to check that the travel indicator light is on before you move the coach. Several years ago technicians at the Monaco factory impressed on us the importance of proper alignment of driveshaft--six degrees off level. I'm sure Country Coaches uses the same alignment.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Pretty sure the issue was caused by your travel mode not working properly or not engaged. Our travel mode comes on any time we start the coach, but it is a good idea to check that the travel indicator light is on before you move the coach. Several years ago technicians at the Monaco factory impressed on us the importance of proper alignment of driveshaft--six degrees off level. I'm sure Country Coaches uses the same alignment.
The Travel light was definitely on. But...I believe that just means the firmware on the controller board has commanded the travel mode function which is what sets the light. There are a series of electrical and mechanical functions that have to follow or you are not really in travel mode. Given that this is an 18 year old coach I may have a relay/solenoid that is getting tired. From this point forward part of my walk around will include actual ride height verification.

As a side note I still need to verify the proper rear ride height is set on my coach. According to my manual the value for my 1997 Country Coach Intrigue's Gillig chassis is 7.5" measured "between the center line of the axle beam and the bottom of the frame rail".
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #18

A quick follow-up on this one. After chasing this issue for several months now I finally successfully traced the problem to an intermittent passenger side rear "Travel Solenoid". Sometimes it would function properly and other times it would not function at all. It finally failed completely leaving the right rear of the coach about 1.5-2" lower then the left side when in travel mode. I swapped both rear 17 year old travel solenoids this weekend and problem solved.

[/URL
Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for posting the result and the pictures.

This could be helpful for the rest of us.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #20

Always glad to share. For the record, this is the six valve rear manifold as seen from below. The bottom two solenoids are the Left and Right "Travel" solenoids. As you can see, they are very much exposed to the elements being just behind and slightly inside of the rear dual wheels. The two solenoids in the middle are the dump solenoids and the two on the top are the lift solenoids. All six solenoids are the same part number. If you think about it the two travel solenoids stay energized the entire time the coach is traveling down the road. The other four are used briefly/momentarily to lift or lower the coach when leveling while parked. The duty cycle is much higher for the "Travel" solenoids. I only had one bad but I swapped both "travel" solenoids while under there. The suspected solenoid was confirmed bad on the workbench with both a multimeter and by applying 12v.

FYI...very easy to R&R. I spent a whole lot more time on supporting the RV for safety than I did swapping out these valves.

Tags
vibration