Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water in skylight

So what's next? DW and I noticed a small bubble in the vinyl ceiling near the shower area. I had recently checked all the roof stuff and had redone some of the Dicor around the skylight..... it looked good overall otherwise.

So I decided to drop the inner skylight liner and wow, it was wet. The wooden framework is water stained black and there was some mold. We cleaned up the wood with bleach and now need to solve this issue.

What appears to be happening is not a leak from the roof but trapped condensation between the two panels. Has anyone discovered this issue and, if so, what did you do? I am considering the following options:

1. Once the space is dry and I ensure I do not have a leak from above, fill the space with foil-covered foam insulation and replace the inner liner with a decorative panel. We don't really need the dang skylight.... there is a light in the shower.

2. Expand on option 1 by removing the outer skylight and put a piece of fiberglass over the opening.

3. Drill a couple of holes in the inner liner, replace it and see if that lets the condensation drain out.

If I was at home I could address the issue effectively. Actually, a roof vent would be a better thing to have there. I just need to do something that will get me through the next 3 months of travel.

As always, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

I doubt it is simply trapped condensation but hope so unless you take really long steamy showers and it's also really humid where you are. I thought I had the same problem once and it turned out I had a leak at the skylight and ended up replacing the skylight. And remember, just because the water is coming out the skylight, the source may be elsewhere such as a roof AC, or vent.

In addition to making sure there is not a leak, you might try making sure you evacuate the moisture from the bath/shower to reduce the prospect of condensation. Run the ceiling fan before, during, and after showering. Good luck.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I doubt it is simply trapped condensation but hope so unless you take really long steamy showers and it's also really humid where you are. I thought I had the same problem once and it turned out I had a leak at the skylight and ended up replacing the skylight. And remember, just because the water is coming out the skylight, the source may be elsewhere such as a roof AC, or vent.

In addition to making sure there is not a leak, you might try making sure you evacuate the moisture from the bath/shower to reduce the prospect of condensation. Run the ceiling fan before, during, and after showering. Good luck.
Well it seems a bit of both. Even though I checked all my roof stuff this past summer, I did find two suspicious areas around the skylight. No question there is a leak. Will replace it if I can get one shipped to me while I am here in Myrtle Beach. If not, will use Eternabond tape until I can replace the outer skin.

DW does take long steamy showers. I take Navy showers.... always have. Was raised not to waste water. We do always run a vent fan in the bath area whenever we shower and leave it on the lowest setting most all the time.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, water